Total War series

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Game is excellent as Sparta once you get past the initial start...Seems your units are so damn good you roll over anyone, later on when 9 people start attackng ou at the same time, it gets challenging and a lot more fun. Just had an epic siege in a settlement where 8k forces tried to invade my 3k half broken army with defenses. Carefuly Placed caltrops, brimstones, rolling balls of fire, artillery on a hill and cavalry in a secret location which came in from behind to rape their archers = battle was turned and I won
biggrin.png

First really challenging and epic battle I've fought. I wish the Campain AI did this more often instead of leaving their cities undefended for easy pickings when they have 20 stacks running around near it...

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Every faction seems to be fun in this game so far except for Rome. Not sure if it's their horrible general's potato faces staring at me from the lower left but I just could not get into the Roman campaign (kind of miss the three families playing at once instead of you just picking which family would get all of Rome). The only faction that I just gave up on was the Celtic barbarian one and that was because their starting position is just annoying to function within. Started a Greek culture game (Pontus) and it's nice to see that they didn't relegate hoplites to having to be pikemen but included a group of phalanx pikemen to fill that role. Having fun running as Britain and running people over with chariots.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
They really need an option to remove victory points even in sieges...I was attacking a city that had one 20 stack in the city, and 3 navies reinforcing with full stacks each. By the time I crushed the city, the navy had barely landed and it was an easy conquest... No worries I think, I'll take defensive positions and try to fend off the navy pouring on to the beach, but no even if I hit continue, every single unit from the ai starts routing
frown.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
So my GTX 560 Ti with 1g video card is overheating like a bitch in this game. Seeing as how it was overheating in the new Xcom game, think I am going to get a new one. Anyone have a somewhat inexpensive video card that is working great in this game?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'd just go with the 660ti unless you want to step up the extra 100 bucks or so to a 670. I'd suggest radeon but I haven't kept up with them for a generation or two and couldn't really suggest one off the bat without looking at what's current. I really only pay attention to specs and hardware when I'm upgrading/building a new pc and I'm on like year 3 or some shit with the current one so my knowledge is rusty.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Ended up orderingthis. Will see if it works good. Hoping the overheating was the gpu, it certainly seemed so (temps over 200F on the gpu, though cpu was pretty hot also).

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've played a ton of this in the last week (50hrs according to steam) but I think I'm done. I was doing campaign as Germany and control most of northern europe and britannia. I really do dislike the UI, being a big fan of Paradox games like EU and CK this was frustrating to try to navigate.

Recommended improvements would be to have some basic info be right below the city name such as food and happiness. When order is at 100 not showing how much excess without the player having to calculate it is silly. There are plenty of things I would do differently but turn timer is by far my biggest issue. Starts out very fast and just gets very slow before long. Spent most of my 50 hours reading and watching movies during turns. Had I spent $15 on this I would have quit at hour 5 but I really tried to give it some time, well beyond the point of it being entertaining.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ended up orderingthis. Will see if it works good. Hoping the overheating was the gpu, it certainly seemed so (temps over 200F on the gpu, though cpu was pretty hot also).
See I'm so out of touch I didn't even think to look up the 760s.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
I have not followed the thread much but from the last page am I to understand this is not the second coming of Jesus in the series? Does not dethrone Rome 1? I still have never played any TW game and was thinking about starting with this.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its just a Total War game.

Not their best (Rome 1 or Medieval 2 depending upon your personal tastes)

Not their worst (Empire)

A 7, not a 9, not a 4.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I have not followed the thread much but from the last page am I to understand this is not the second coming of Jesus in the series? Does not dethrone Rome 1? I still have never played any TW game and was thinking about starting with this.
I'm enjoying it a lot, but it does seem to be a bit imbalanced at the moment. Computer doesnt build good armies and you just roll over it too easily, also the naval battles are completely brken at the moment, you have to micromanage every ship... Campaign map is huge tho, basicaly all of europe + africa and some asia.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Recommended improvements would be to have some basic info be right below the city name such as food and happiness. When order is at 100 not showing how much excess without the player having to calculate it is silly. There are plenty of things I would do differently but turn timer is by far my biggest issue. Starts out very fast and just gets very slow before long. Spent most of my 50 hours reading and watching movies during turns. Had I spent $15 on this I would have quit at hour 5 but I really tried to give it some time, well beyond the point of it being entertaining.
Amen on the food and happiness shit. I asked before about locating the happiness once you got to 100, found the +/- drop down and went from glad to confused when I realized I had to spend time calculating what I could afford to build based on happiness. And yeah, the turns start out nice and quick but bog down due to new factions appearing. I've been re watching HBO's Rome between turns.

I'm playing on Hard as Rome atm and it's faceroll easy. 3:1 odds against me? Meh fight it out, and loose like 100 dudes. It's like 195BC and no one has declared war on me, first 10-15 turns I was in fear of Carthage, building up my troops expecting them to come at me soon, look over a few turns later and some random ass AI faction raped them into the sand. Now I'm just roaming the Alps picking off random factions with like armies of 7 units. There is no fear or worry in my game.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Its just a Total War game.

Not their best (Rome 1 or Medieval 2 depending upon your personal tastes)

Not their worst (Empire)

A 7, not a 9, not a 4.
Just out of curiosity from someone who has never played a TW game, but has been watching some LPs of Rome 2, what are the main differences between Rome 1 and Medieval 2 that you refer to?

Killjoy_sl

shitlord
I'm enjoying it a lot, but it does seem to be a bit imbalanced at the moment. Computer doesnt build good armies and you just roll over it too easily
I know that feel. Playing as Germania on Hard, every other barbarian army I face is 3 spear levies and 15 slingers.

Am I missing something with the Phalanx units for the Greek States? Every time I try to use Phalanx formation, the enemy units just kinda goes right through it and the formation falls apart. I was expecting some kind of 300-style impenetrable wall I guess.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just out of curiosity from someone who has never played a TW game, but has been watching some LPs of Rome 2, what are the main differences between Rome 1 and Medieval 2 that you refer to?
Well, unit diversity, some tweaks to gameplay, different setting, its been awhile I can't name all the technical details, its just people tend to think either Rome 1 or Medieval 2 were the best two Total War games is why I mentioned it in that fashion.

Rome 1 is pretty dated now, Medieval 2 holds up a bit better over time.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
New player Medieval 2. Less hassle, actually supports modern widescreen monitors without modding.

Could also go Shogun 2.

New player I'd probably wait for a sale on Rome 2

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I still play Medieval 2 from time to time, it's actually the only TW I've played. With the Kingdoms expansion there is a fuckton of unit variety, colonial maps and so on. Great game that I've sunk a couple hundred hours in to.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can only enjoy them modded. Rome with Barborbarum, and Medieval with Stainless Steel.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Rome and Medieval 2 are the only ones I still play. Regardless of the outdated tech, Rome is still the best game in the series imo. M2's AI is just rotten. If I take the middle east before Khan or Tamerlane invades, I don't lose a single man to them during their invasions. (well, some attrition due to archers).

Unfortunately the AI reacts really poorly to cavalry. They reform all their lines including artillery every time a unit exits the gate. So either I can't attack them, or they wont attack me properly. It's sick watching 4 archer units, and a single horse slowly wipe out the entire Horde.

Other than that glitch, it's a frickin awesome game.