Total War: Warhammer

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I'm doing a high elves hard campaign and liking them much better than shaven and lizard men. Tyrion is a fucking beast and some of the heros and lords you can get are great. I have a mage that has 550+ weapon damage with a fire attack, 180+ charge, and pretty good melee and attack damage, low armor though. I've been building for archers and usually have 5-6 archers per stack. That with a high mage that has the net spell that roots everyone in place destroys everything.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Skrolk was a rough starting position(literally enemy on every sides) but I really love Skaven gameplay. Turn 125ish atm, way behind on rituals but I have almost enough to do all of them, sadly this'll take a bunch of turns. I own almost all of Lustria minus half a dozen of settlements still under Hexaotl control, trading happily with Malekith but Tyrion is a dickhead and way too far to smash his face in. I love that I can still win fights with 1hero+19slaves against high tier units in a walled city, although I've been upgrading some of my armies a bit the last 10-15turns so I can autoresolve a bit more efficiently, since currently I need like 2full stacks to take an undefended minor settlement without losing 3-5units. If I play it I lose like 15slaves but it gets annoying having to wait for everything to die.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Found 5,000 gold in a treasure ship off the coast, and another that gave huge army upgrades so that's a thing. Be super careful starting those rituals they spawn some brutal stuff (and UP CLOSE).

Playing Malekith and destroying with bolt throwers + black guard of naggarond and a sprinkle of shards/shield shards near throwers

Multi shot option on bolt thrower vs lizard men is great

I have so many dark roads built in all my "fly over" settlements lol

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
its worth it just to have a lord by himself on the seas to gather loot

sealed rations is a frequent reward; -10% upkeep for all forces for 10 turns, kinda huge from the mid-game on, afaik multiple of those stack also

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Eh think it's more like check the seas after u take a port town instead of just idling there or take the sea route (take army upgrade from treasure ship thing if close, campaign upgrade if far?) to port hop and attack.

That's my strat for now, haven't built a black ark for DE yet and I bet I should tonight. Serious raiding with that I'm sure.

Any extra Lords I'd have would be on standby building up for when I trigger the damn ritual.

Last edited:

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Someone's been digging around in the files and found a province list for the combined campaign. Link

So Naggarroth and Lustria are losing their west coasts, the Southlands is losing most of its southern jungle region, there's some territory being consolidated, and Skavenblight, Hell Pit, and Lamia are being added.

They said some territories would be cut, but that honestly doesn't sound that bad to me.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've enjoyed watching campaigns by https://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10/videos and by https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW/videos

Both play on "very hard" which is higher than I do, currently. And, while they make some mistakes that even I can recognize, they do very well and don't have "oh shit" moments where the campaign is over. Plus, they offer insight into what they're doing and why, when they play. Now, that's not to say they're pros or as good as some people on FOH, but it's entertaining (especially before the game was released) and informative.

After playing a couple of games in the Total Ware series I've learned way more from watching the first two videos in lionheart's series. Thanks for the link!

I'm watching him play with Britonnia.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
After playing a couple of games in the Total Ware series I've learned way more from watching the first two videos in lionheart's series. Thanks for the link!

I'm watching him play with Britonnia.
Yeah that's how I learned too, I think I watched a bunch of turns by him and Legendoftotalwar who only plays legendary and cheeses stuff a lot, it's interesting to see how he deals with stuff and can give you some good ideas, although if you cheese to the level he does it can get pretty boring, like how he stacks every single unit in one big blob on the edge of the siege maps and destroy the only tower that can target him while dancing a lord in front to bait shots, and then brings his 12 archer units and just kills everything on the wall as the AI keeps moving units in there to take the other's place.

I'm nearing the end of the vortex campaign on my Skrolk game. Turn 150 or so, High elf are about 10turns from completing the last ritual, I'm going to try a last minute interupt, I know there's some weird last battle shit where I can prevent them from finishing anyway after but trying to do it legit. I thought I was fucked at first but last ritual takes 20turns which gave me time to clear shit and start heading there. My main army took some random settlement off the coast as an advanced outpost, I'm bringing a doom engineer(rite hero, they suicide to destroy walls) and my 2nd army is on the way since I wasn't sure a single one would be enough, for some fucked up reason the garrisons for high elves have like 3dragons and 2phoenixes or whatever, like super bullshit when mine has a couple of rat ogres instead who die in 20secs to any antilarge even low tier shit. I'll probably attack with ~1-2turns left so he can't take it back and fuck him up.

High elf is the real powerhouse, darkelf is a little bitch and is getting interupted by interventions and hexaotl I almost destroyed myself, had a bit of a setback when he came back from dark elf lands with 3 large stacks including mazdamundi, lost 3armies in one turn, but then he got cocky and tried to take back the shit I stole, only that I wall everything so he basically lost all his armies to siege battles and when I hit him back with 2 shit slave armies I pretty much cleared him off the map, he still has a bunch of settlements and a couple of armies running around and I can't take Hexaotl proper with fucking slaves cause the garrison is like 5temple guards and half a dozen of dinos, but I have everything around it.

I do like that the chaos armies spawned by the events seem to have low movement range. So while they spawn right in the middle of your shit, they don't go around super fast, you can make a plan to intercept them easily and shit. Can't say the same about enemy interventions which spawn right in the middle of shit AND attack you on the same turn, almost lost a full new army to that shit, fucking assholes with dragons everywhere. In the end though the bell of doom prevailed, that shit aoe over time aura is nasty.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I need to wall all my shit maybe but if you saw my income... them black roads are everywhere boy

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I finished my first vortex campaign on very hard with lord skrolk. 186 turns, ~60hours, half the fights done manually(which is why it took so long). Was really enjoyable, I prevented any other factions from finishing their 5th ritual before I did mine. Last battle was a bit disapointing however but that's ok I guess, I had plenty of epic battles on the way there.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I got High Elf with 10 turns to go on their final ritual, with a chaos army and my intervention army (10k one) having a longest siege contest against what looks to be something completely undefended outside of a default garrison.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
For those having issues at higher difficulty; try abusing revolts.

You basically keep a decent sized army near your province capital, wait for the public order to hit -100, when the rebels spawn you crush them for easy gains, get a large public order bonus due to supressing the rebels, and move on to your next target.

Sure beats juggling taxes on/off and keeping a military presence, which isn't remotely as effective in any way.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decided on Malekith for my first go-around. On turn 22 and have 47,000 gold banked along with about 3,300 income per turn. But...nothing to spend it on yet. Growth seems to be much too slow to tech up to any decent units, heroes, and lords. Just barely got tier 3 capital, FFS. I must be doing something wrong (researched growth first, built growth buildings early, etc.) But, Homie is rich!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Wait till u get your head around pro slave management and dem black roads everywhere, DE is pretty godly

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Decided on Malekith for my first go-around. On turn 22 and have 47,000 gold banked along with about 3,300 income per turn. But...nothing to spend it on yet. Growth seems to be much too slow to tech up to any decent units, heroes, and lords. Just barely got tier 3 capital, FFS. I must be doing something wrong (researched growth first, built growth buildings early, etc.) But, Homie is rich!
I think this just differs between factions and stuff.

Skaven is the other way I found, where growth is plentiful, hell when you capture a settlement, you can spend their Food unique ressource to directly upgrade it, if you have enough food you can just get it to lvl 5 right away(it's A LOT of food for that though but getting a lvl 2 or 3 right off the bat is generally affordable if it's not too often and it's really strong when capturing settlements in the wrong climate since that doubles construction time so skipping like 16turns to upgrade to 3 to get walls is huge). When I lost my capital to the last ritual armies, I rebuilt it in only a few turns with all the tech building and shit, while other races would have taken a lot longer. Even generally speaking, the main building generates more growth than other factions and I think their growth building might too and you get a bunch of growth commandments/tech so you upgrade super fast.

On the other hand, you don't really get that much money until everything is upgraded, because there's no money building. Every building gives some amount of money, so you need 3buildings in every minor settlement and as many in the major ones to start getting good money, and on top of that in most provinces you'll have to turn on the food commandment if you're not actively fighting, which reduces the income by 30%. I only had like 3-4provinces the entire game without the food commandment, everything else was nerfed by 30% once it was built.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
My only beef was the clan rats summons fell off end game. Good for griefing artillery tho.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
My only beef was the clan rats summons fell off end game. Good for griefing artillery tho.
Well yeah obviously they're gonna fall off, but instead of acting as main damage sources by spawning them from behind, you can spawn them in front of charges/to surround big stuff and just have them tank damage for free. And yeah they'll still kill artillery instantly, and most ranged units other than shades/seaguards(and even then they still do good dmg/prevent them from firing). Honestly I was still paying for menace below food all the way until the end when I wasn't autoresolving, there was always a situation to use free units that can spawn anywhere on the map imo.

Started playing dark elf a little bit but the fucking slaves mechanic affecting public order looked annoying as shit, I knew it was going to I just didn't expect it to be so severe, you get like -5penalty for only 25% slaves feels kinda too much.

So I started a high elf campaign instead, got decently far, turns go a ton faster than skaven when I'm not manual fighting every turn though, I think I'm on turn 70 already and I haven't really fought too much. I had a pretty shitty start, got my army wiped, ended up on low economy and no real way to win a war against any other factions so I just fed influence to my best ally until he accepted a confederation and now I'm actually rich. It's a very different way to play though, I haven't really fought much and there really aren't many close enemies, only a few chaos marauders left and obviously the dark elves across the sea but the whole island is a bunch of factions I'm allied with. I also got attacked by a rogue army that had 12dragons, so that was interesting.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Eh slave mechanic isn't that bad if public order is fast on the down swing just cut that off till you get some torture posts up. I'm getting like 45k a turn net right now with multiple armies decked with hydras, dragons, black guard of naggarond (love this unit and the required structure which gives that sweet public order), the works.

I don't think any other economy can touch Dark Elf right now after they spread their tendrils and get situated.