Total War: Warhammer

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Outside of a deep discount, you're probably better off waiting for a sale than paying anywhere close to full value.

this is bullshit

the game is the best TW version if you don't have a preference between historical and fantasy

its merits far outweigh its flaws, and most of its flaws you'll find in every other TW game while it manages to avoid some of those itself

it also worked well at launch, pretty unique in the series

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
xerZm4q.jpg

Added a TLDR edit for illiterates. :rolleyes:

Everyone's got opinions. But, I'd hazard a guess that yours isn't shared by anyone else here.

The game is fun and the setting is awesome. Yes, TW games have some flaws. But, nothing that will stop us from putting 200-1,000 hours into this. The polish over the first TW:WH game is also very noticeable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Depends. Early game is super critical and can be kind of RNG heavy. Sometimes the roaming enemy near you rushes right for you and takes two+ vital turns away, other times you don't see them for 50 turns and then they randomly die off.

Yeah getting the opening right seems to be quite a bit of it... and knowing who will betray you later... and what initiating a ritual actually brings out

Still tricky even tho I know

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I had a nostalgic view of Rome II until I went back and played it a few weeks before WH2 came out. Skill trees of the generals and agents are a clusterfuck that depend on you looking them up on the steaming pile of dog shit that is the encyclopedia. Managing cities just came down to having enough food then managing squalor/ happiness. Still a great game but I much prefer WH.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Threw in the towel on my mazdemundi campaign and started a malekith one. I can't really tell if it's just a much harder early game or if i'm doing terrible, heh. On like turn 65 atm, desperately trying not to go bankrupt and hold my provinces.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Threw in the towel on my mazdemundi campaign and started a malekith one. I can't really tell if it's just a much harder early game or if i'm doing terrible, heh. On like turn 65 atm, desperately trying not to go bankrupt and hold my provinces.

Yeah, game is tough even on normal. Although I've never played a TW game before TW:WH.

I won my first campaign in TW:WH barely on normal using Dwarfs, arguably the easiest race to play, and only after consulting extensive strat videos. Friend and I had a ton of setbacks beating the coop campaign on normal with Empire and Brettonnia. Shit was brutal when Chaos showed up.

Cannot wait for coop Grand Campaign.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've always wanted to love the TW series and even own a few (Rome 1 and Shogun 2) but there was always something missing. The fantasy setting was exactly what I needed and part of that was the similarities of historical unit types. Adding in magic, flying, monsters, and all that is a lot of fun. The game's still largely about your basic military unit types but all the flavor, especially visual style, is great. I would compare it as Civilization IV versus the Civilization IV Fall from Heaven II mod for it that made distinct factions and playstyles.

Been loving this one so far but I've also noticed the difficulty spike from the first game. Abandoned my first Mazdamundi campaign after the first ritual when I realized I'd wasted way too much time trying to secure a small foothold in dark elf territory. The climate penalties are really painful for casualty replenishment. Played through the main factions of the rest for 10 turns each or so and I think the difficulty mostly comes from a heavier emphasis on diplomacy. It seems like the starting areas are much more hostile whether hostilities are started by you or not. In the first game a few factions and starts had to ride diplomacy but many others were just steamroll to victory. The reason the base dwarves are so easy is that you just make friends with the Border Princes and take everything south and coast to victory at your own pace. In this game, out of the 5 starts I've tried so far, Krok-gar is the new dwarves. He starts in a corner surrounded by mostly weak enemies and you just sweep through the continent.

One thing that I can't decide if I like or not with the elves and skaven are that the base units are so much better from a cost to performance ratio than elites, but then perform so poorly in auto-resolve. For instance, Sea Guard aren't that much better than spearmen and archers, just more versatile at a healthy cost increase. But the Sea Guard are drastically better in auto-resolve. So the result is more battles and less auto which is mostly a good thing, but does become tedious sometimes. Lizardmen, like a lot of the first game's factions, just pack on the big stuff and auto through the campaign.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Listen here you bastards. I need a lot more negative responses to reinforce me not pre-paying for this damn thing and getting the Norsca expansion for free. So it's time for you guys to talk about all the flaws and issues that will be probably be fixed around Christmas time(when I plan on getting it).

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Only flaw or issue is the price point really. If you are jumping in to this iteration of TW right now you're looking at 200+ dollars for the complete game. If that is worth it then that depends on your financial situation.

Sulrn

Deuces
Listen here you bastards. I need a lot more negative responses to reinforce me not pre-paying for this damn thing and getting the Norsca expansion for free. So it's time for you guys to talk about all the flaws and issues that will be probably be fixed around Christmas time(when I plan on getting it).

I'd try and help, but I haven't played WH2. Good luck getting anyone else here to give you healthy criticism.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'd try and help, but I haven't played WH2. Good luck getting anyone else here to give you healthy criticism.

Translation: I didn't like the first game so those who do are being blind about its flaws since my opinion is correct.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If anyone has done a Teclis campaign yet, how did you get out of the early stages? I tried to get one rolling 3 times earlier and the sentinels of xotl are a huge pain in the ass. First game I was dealing with them fine but then an event army or something popped up with a huge 20 stack and killed them and then came for me and the other 2 times I just take way too many losses against their saurus stacks.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoy the concept and the beginning of most games I play, but I tend to lose interest after taking a couple of territories.

Are there any expansion strategies that are generally employed? I think part of my problem is not really knowing how to grow my territory, so it feels a bit aimless after a while and sucks some of the fun out of it.

I also tend to have trouble with knowing how to fight other factions, but I guess that's just normal growing pains.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The biggest problem with this game is it goes from RTS to HOMM3 auto resolve real quick.

There's not much around that other than forcing yourself to do the battles manually and taking a bit of a slower pace.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm surprised at how often it seems people auto-resolve. Even when I know it's a fight I'll win, I still have fun doing the work. Probably the only exception is when there's an almost dead army or a tiny stack that will rout the second I engage them.

Plus, the auto resolve calculations in this game are pretty jacked up, so I really wouldn't want to do a surefire autoresolve win that I know would actually be a hard manual fight (this is obviously much more true on higher difficulties).

I really wish they kept track of unit stats, though. That would be fun to see how many dudes my Karl Franz or White Dwarf has killed in the campaign. For other units, kills and units replenished, time spent broken/fighting, etc would be interesting and could be useful information in analyzing effectiveness or how you use certain units. In general, I wish games like these had more data like that but I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority opinion there.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah auto resolves are janky, I only use them if it's huge stacks vs small stacks and even then sometimes they go wonky. I had one earlier as dark elves defending a city with the garrison vs an army where I had like 15% chance to win according to the power bar, and I won it. Auto resolve would've done almost 0 damage to the enemy stack and given up the city. Had another one that was my full stack vs a tiny stack and I lost a unit.

I've been playing on hard since i'm still really new to total war games, soon as I can start doing decent to good in my attempts i'll move up to very hard.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i hardly ever autoresolve, the system vastly underrates basic units, and tends to stack casualties on the same unit type

when i autoresolve with high elves, a battle which is 70% in my favor will still see me lose 1-3 units of spearmen, few turns later you find yourself facing a full stack while having 14 units and it goes downhill from there

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

What regions / provinces did you get to? I usually stop my Mazda campaigns after being settled nicely and feeling like I've won the game based on that.

Based on this map:

After conquering the Skeggi regions and making pals with the New World Colonies I take the province called Forests of the Viper. After that I expand west and south, the dark elf lands to the north are not good terrain for lizardmen.

After uniting these regions, keep an army to the north that can defend (or attack) against the darkelf faction, and you can expand / upgrade at your own pace.

The new world colonies are a solid ally, they can usually hold the south, and prevent nasty (skaven) invasions from the Scorpion coast. I prefer keeping them alive for a good while, they have never backstabbed me, and despite not expanding much they have no problem keeping 1-1.5 stacks around to fight off invaders.

I find building +growth isn't working as well for me as in the previous game. I prioritise an income building and walls in the minor settlements. If there is a special building available that usually fills the last slot, if not, I put something there that only needs settlement level 3 to upgrade to max level.

Income from trade agreements grows over time, so I try to get easy trade agreements early game. Even if it starts out at 59 gold / turn it can grow into 1500 gold over time.

When I see a rebellion is going to happen, I move an army towards the capital of the province to squash the rebels. This generates income, experience, and a large bonus to public order, its far more efficient then turning off taxes and trying to race the rebellion with +public order things.

Hope this helps.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
i hardly ever autoresolve, the system vastly underrates basic units, and tends to stack casualties on the same unit type

when i autoresolve with high elves, a battle which is 70% in my favor will still see me lose 1-3 units of spearmen, few turns later you find yourself facing a full stack while having 14 units and it goes downhill from there

As most campaigns, you want to fight manually a bunch early game to reduce your losses and stuff but as you progress there's less and less incentive to do so. Once you're on endgame composition, you win most autoresolves with minimal losses. Like my 7phoenix guards 7archers 2dragons 1bolt thrower+tyrion/mage/noble all at 40 beat every endgame army from interventions and last rituals and what not with like maybe 5-10% losses on the phoenix guards, which with the noble embedded is healed 4x in a single turn.

Even by midgame you can autoresolve and just global recruit your losses back using the 1turn units you can that fill the role, if you do get losses. Having a tier 4 recruiting building for your main infantry on the frontlines is pretty helpful too(like when I started invading Naggarond in my HE campaign, I built a swordsmaster of hoeth building so I could replenish my infantry with these quickly if needed).

Obviously you can still manual everything, and if you're Skaven you kinda will have to manual a lot but a lot of time the autoresolve works fine, if you build properly for it(some units are bad for it, some are good).

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What regions / provinces did you get to? I usually stop my Mazda campaigns after being settled nicely and feeling like I've won the game based on that.

I had everything between new world colonies starting area up to the dark elves, and then a few provinces down by northern great jungle and scorpion coast. Stayed out of the dark elf lands except when I had to march up there due to them getting uppity and attacking me so I'd go up and kill a couple armies and raze the close cities. Had no issues with rebels or bankruptcy on Mazdemundi, I just got beat up on third ritual and Lothern was almost on their 5th.