Total War: Warhammer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is this now the official Total War: Warhammer 2 thread?

I'm still on that Total War: Warhammer grind.

My experience is that I build up an army quickly and auto resolve everything early, bc the odds are always in my favor, but by mid game I can't auto resolve anything because it's full stack vs. full stack and I get shit on.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats when you have two full stacks versus their one stack!

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Doesn't that open up another side of your territory though?

I keep getting gangbanged from every end.
Generally speaking, you want to expand in the direction that'll make that side safer faster. Say you're kinda close to the sea, or some mountains or whatever, expand there first, so you can then go the other way and be "safe" on that side. If you can't be safe, it's good to expand until some sort of chokepoint like area, where you can park a low tier army(tier 1 units+1lord, no fancy shit) that can rotate between the various settlements in one forced march turn max, and wall those settlements. Fighting defensive fights within walls is easy even against high tier armies if you have a low tier army+garrison. You do need the walls though otherwise you'll get murdered, since the AI sucks at sieges. Still won't prevent you from getting fucked if you fight several armies, but you can retreat out if you see a bunch coming and buy time with just the garrison fighting.

This is how you defend the corners of your empire basically, some dummy shit armies and walled settlements. In general, you'll want to wall near everything in the game for safety, but especially the edges of your empire(and since it'll expand, eventually everything is walled anyway).

As for autoresolve in midgame, if you're losing autoresolves, your units aren't good enough. You need to upgrade these shit tier1 units into tier 4 or tier5 units and then you can autoresolve full stacks with minimal losses. The only tier 1-2 units you want to keep lategame are some ranged units and some artillery, but all your frontline infantry needs to be as strong as possible since in autoresolve, they take all the damage and if they're not strong enough, the damage will spill over to your other stuff and do way more damage. Also having the lord red skill tree for army buffs, especially for your infantry, is a must for easy autoresolves. Or manual fights really, the red line is just very good and you should focus on that once you have lightning strike in blue/upkeep reduction if there's some.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you get your balls broken on your first attempt that's to be expected. Just figure out your opening better maybe and maybe knock it down to Easy as imo normal was no push over.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Looking like i'm in shape to win my first campaign as cult of pleasure. Wasn't sure this afternoon how I was going to deal with queek since he was allied with me and naggarond and a bit ahead of me on ritual resources (lothern has tried 5th ritual twice and failed both times now) but he ended up declaring war on me and naggarond after he finished his 4th ritual for some reason, so now we can just steamroll the map while I finish my rituals. Feelsgood, one or two more goes and i'm gonna have to bump it up to very hard.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Once someone hits 4th ritual, they will declare war on everyone else(I assume if you hit 4th, everyone declares war on you too although I'm generally late). You can't engage in diplomacy at all past that point either with other ritual races.

Very hard should be a noticeable difficulty bump due to upkeep increase. It's a lot harder fielding armies in VH, which means you have to be smarter about your campaign movement and stuff. That said a lot of the difficulty in the game isn't really the actual difficulty and more then starting position. Some are a lot easier to defend/conquer than others.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ah didn't know that about the 4th ritual. If me doing my 4th puts me at war with Naggarond then I probably won't win the game after all. He has like 20 armies running around the map and who knows how many heroes. Not sure what kind of units he has in all of them since I fast forward the end turns but even if they're only mediocre armies it would probably get ugly fast.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
You won't go to war with Naggarond, they are the same race and on your side. Doing the 4th ritual puts you at war with the other Ritual Races (HE, DE, Skaven, Lizards), your own race won't declare war on you, and the random races (Wood Elves, Brettonia, Vampire Counts, Empire, Orcs, Dwarves) don't give a shit.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You'll actually get a bonus with Naggarond, gets bigger every ritual, so you can confederate them more easily. It'll just break your trade/non agression with skaven if you had any, and it's unlikely you had anything with HE or Lizards to begin with as DE.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Skaven are fucks. Way more dangerous in the hands of a human player too I imagine.

• 1Worf

Randin

Trakanon Raider
For those who haven’t been following along, Mortal Empires (the combined campaign) is dropping on October 26th.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't even grasp how large that campaign is going to be. Will the old races be part of the Vortex race, or will that not exist and it's just a conquest goal?

Tried Queek on Hard; got stomped. Tried Teclis on Hard; doing awesome. Thought it would be the other way around. Guess I just click with the play style of the HE's a little more. Teclis' campaign really does require you to ramp up growth and then order fast, not tech. Also need a 20 stack in first 10 turns.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I can't even grasp how large that campaign is going to be. Will the old races be part of the Vortex race, or will that not exist and it's just a conquest goal?
No Vortex for this one; it’ll play more like the Old World Campaign with more conventional conquest the Chaos invasion endgame.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The map is bigger, but not as big as both games combined, they cut a bunch of stuff from the new world, specifically all the garbage islands to the west of lustria(where Teclis starts and going further north along the coast) and like a good bit south of lustria and southlands(where Kroq usually starts, he's being moved a bit). Still they said like 300regions total, so that's a fuckton of stuff to do. This is basically the map
pgHXqXs.png

No vortex mechanics either, it's just the old campaign pretty much, at some point Chaos will spawn like in the first game, however they said it'll be different than in the first campaign(probably boats and shit and attacking all various regions, not just the north of the empire).

Sounds great to me overall though even if some ppl are complaining. I especially like the fact they massively reduced the seas, so there will be less autoresolve boat fuckery when you want to cross and go kill some shit. It's also a great occasion to revisit the old races but with the new improved UI. Also they rebalanced and changed some stuff, Dwarfs especially got a bunch of balance changes to make their high tier units better(since a lot of dwarfs power were their tier 1-2units being stupid cost efficient but their high tier being pretty much shit) and I've seen a reddit post showing Vampire new buildings that work like TW:W2 stuff where you get faction bonuses and +2rank recruit to various units when you get specific ressources buildings(like gold mine, jewels, lumbermills etc).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Mortal Empires is out, along with a rather large patch that fixes most issues with TW:W2. Patch is 4.5gb, ME is 600mb on top, go to DLC, then click Mortal Empires and hit the download button there. If you try to buy it, even though it's 0$ it'll bring the usual payment shit which is pointless.

• 1Like