Total War: Warhammer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Bolt throwers were fine in Vortex, I'll try em in ME. Hellfire cannon was very very aggravating.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Settra does not serve...

So this is the only remaining main race that fits for Warhammer 2’s map, which means that in a few months we get to see if the hopes/expectations for things like Araby or the Southern Realms have any merit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Still waiting for the Compendium Edition where I can just get all races and everything in one package!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Still waiting for the Compendium Edition where I can just get all races and everything in one package!
Well War3 won't be before 2019, and then probably a year of DLC after that, so later 2020 at the earliest I'd say.

Very excited for Tomb Kings release. Main issue is figuring which one to start with, and wether to do Vortex or ME. I'm unclear on wether there's cutscenes and shit in the Vortex version that are not in the ME version or not, if there are I'd play the vortex version, but if not I'll just play ME.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Ill probably do the Vortex first. Lower end turn times are nice and it seems like you can ignore all the vortex mechanics of the other factions and just conquer.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Obviously depends on your gaming budget but you could be missing out on years of quality gaming to wait for that. So much content in this game between all the races and legendary lords im not tiring of playing it.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
My plan has been to run the Vortex campaign with the four base races, then do ME with any DLC races. I'm in the middle of the skaven campaign right now, leaving me with just the dark elves to do; after that, I can move on to ME with tomb kings and norsca, and whatever comes next.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Have they combined Warhammer 1 and 2 yet? And if so, I'm assuming you need both games?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Have they combined Warhammer 1 and 2 yet? And if so, I'm assuming you need both games?
They have. It’s called the Mortal Empires campaign. You do need both games, but you only need to own WH1 and have it in your Steam library, it doesn’t need to be installed; the campaign’s accessed through WH2.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah just keep in mind they're still tuning ME. Well worth the money though. Probably the game I've played most the past year.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Do you have to have all the DLC races from Warhammer 1 in order to play them in ME? And again, does this just mean you have to have them in your library, not actually installed?

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
If you buy the DLC for Warhammer 1, it shows up in the list for BOTH games. You do have to buy them to play as the extra races and legendary lords. They still exist in Mortal Empires, they just aren't player selectable if you don't own the DLC. The only thing that doesn't work and won't be added until March is Norsca cause CA dun fucked up and thought they could copy paste from Game 1 to Game 2, and it didn't work, so now they have to recode all of Norsca from scratch (art assets obviously still intact).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah do have to own stuff. Some of the factions are free though, obviously the first 4 are if you own War1(Empire, Greenskins, Vampire Counts and Dwarfs) however they each have their own DLC that add new units and legendary lords(Grim and Grave for empire/vc, warlord and king for greenskins/dwarfs). They also added Bretonnia as a free faction to Warhammer 1, so you get 5 factions with just War1. There were also time limited free factions from preordering War1(Chaos Warriors) and from preordering War2(Norsca). These are paid now but if you did preorder(or buy the games 10days after the release) you own them too. They also added some free legendary lords to the initial 4 armies. To unlock all the free stuff that wasn't in the base game however you might have to install War1, pick up the DLC on steam to add them to your library, then uninstall War1. I think you can unlock them with War2 installed instead but not entirely sure.

List of free content to grab:
Bretonnia(full army with 3 legendary lords)
Isabella Von Carstein(legendary lord for vampire counts, was added for free separately while Vlad Von Carstein was added directly into the game)
Wurrzag(legendary lord for greenskins)
Grombrindal the White Dwarf(legendary lord for dwarfs)
Jade and Grey Wizards(just some different lores of magic wizards for the empire)

As noted, owning the DLC or not doesn't affect wether the factions are present in the mortal empires campaign, only wether or not you can pick them. As long as you own both War2 and War1, you get 9 races(4 in war1, 4 in war2 and Bretonnia) but to get the others you have to buy their specific DLCs. It's possible they'll add a free faction to war2 eventually too. Other than that you can wait for sales for DLC, they generally get discounter by about half, leading to fairly good value for DLC(7-10euros for a faction but assuming you do only a single campaign, that's still a good 50hours worth, some of them have replayability with different enough lords like wood elves or alternative campaigns too). The only DLC that are kinda eh are the Legendary lords ones since they only add a couple new units and one lord per faction(2factions per DLC), but they're also cheaper, often hitting 4-5euros in sales.

Also Chaos Warriors and Beastmen are considered kinda lacking as factions, so would probably not recommend buying them unless you really want to play them. Chaos Warriors will also probably look like hot garbage once Warhammer3 releases and they have Demons of Chaos instead.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Thought it was unlocked on the 26th for some reason. Tomb Kings unlocked today. Firing it up now.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I just finished the Dwarf campaign on War1 (bought it for $12 on Humble Monthly). Man, what a game! Can't wait to play War2 one day when it goes on sale. Tomb King along with Necrons from 40k are my all time favorite alien races.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So, besides adding more factions and such, what are the advantages to War 2 and the "combined" campaign? Is it literally just $40 for more factions and a different map?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a few new features(naval autoresolve fights, can explore ruins but you never do cause it's a waste of time and not worth the reward and you can grab treasures in the sea that give tons of gold to help early game economy) and a better UI, but yeah it's mostly just 4 new factions for 40$. Which is a pretty good deal considering the DLCs. It also has its own campaign with some light storytelling and stuff. Oh and you can play Tomb Kings, which are pretty fucking awesome, so that's nice.