Total War: Warhammer

Palum

what Suineg set it to
beta keys for TW arena: Grab a Total War: ARENA closed beta key from Wargaming and MOP

closed beta entry is 9.99$, for now I just claimed a key

TWA is not that entertaining to me. I tried the beta a month or so ago. One definite problem is that you have to rely on other people, which should seem obvious, but with such a high requirement for skill and how minute mistakes can cost you ask engagement, it's sometimes a lot to ask. Especially in that each player really needs to specialize and to the extent that they don't, the R-P-S combat will punish your mixed forces. In other words, you want to take say an archer commander (that one chick in game right now) and max out three units of archers to maximize your bonuses. However, if you do, you'll then be 100% at the mercy of an infantry player to shield you from cav charges. If you don't, you'll have say two archers that can't match a 3 unit slugfest protected by one unmodified infantry that will get crushed by 3 cav.

I don't know it just really didn't seem to gel for me.

Nuttin

Silver Squire
What bugs me the most is that you have to amass a shitload of cash to build stuff in cities, stuff that should already have been there from the beginning.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
TWA is not that entertaining to me. I tried the beta a month or so ago. One definite problem is that you have to rely on other people, which should seem obvious, but with such a high requirement for skill and how minute mistakes can cost you ask engagement, it's sometimes a lot to ask.

Exact same case in LoL, didn't stop it from being popular.

Not that I personally like LoL, its just not an issue that prevents a game from being great for a specific audience.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Exact same case in LoL, didn't stop it from being popular.

Not that I personally like LoL, its just not an issue that prevents a game from being great for a specific audience.

Yes but you get a redo addition the same match on LoL and can change builds to compensate slightly one way. Maybe not true in high tier comp play, but at least as LoL gives you the opportunity to work or some kinks in the match. TWA, you lose a critical flank to poor play right away and it's over.

The only reason it might not even matter is there's so few players you'll get used to seeing some similar names lol.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So you have to own both games for the Grand Campaign I'm assuming? Looks like TW:W1 is on Steam sale right now but the new one is full price. Sounds like the first one is worth it on it's own anyway? Haven't played since Shogun 2 but enjoyed that one if that's anything to go by.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So you have to own both games for the Grand Campaign I'm assuming? Looks like TW:W1 is on Steam sale right now but the new one is full price. Sounds like the first one is worth it on it's own anyway? Haven't played since Shogun 2 but enjoyed that one if that's anything to go by.
Have to own both for the mortal empires stuff yes. Can buy either games and they're pretty solid, 2 has some improvements in UI and stuff but 1 was perfectly fine. The current sales aren't the lowest prices though so can be worth waiting if you want to save some money.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
If you're super hyped for the Mortal Empires combined campaign... maybe wait until the Steam Holiday sale. That should knock the price of at least TW:W1 down even further, and give the Mortal Empires campaign a bit more time to get patched up and balanced.

I still love the game and all, but right now Mortal Empires is kind of a mess. The old Chaos invasions from TW:W1 are back, but it looks like they basically copy/pasted the code from TW:W2 for the Vortex invasions. This means - out of the blue during your mid-game - you'll get the Chaos invasion where 4 chaos factions pop up around the map, each with 4+ full armies of top-quality units.

Unlike TW:W1, however, these new Chaos armies aren't at war with basically everyone like you'd expect. They're at war with YOU (and maybe a few of the new TW:W2 factions). So you have 20 full armies of Chaos making a bee-line for all of your settlements, ignoring almost everything else in their way. For me, this happened right before turn 70, when I had all of six armies. In TW:W1, the Chaos invasion usually happened around turn 90-120, depending on how you were doing, and with them having far fewer armies. Also, Chaos doesn't declare war on you - instead they start at war with you permanently, which makes any defensive or military allies worthless (war needs to be declared for the alliances to trigger, and since the Chaos factions spawn in with a very high power ranking, your allies won't dare join your war no matter how much you give them).

There's also pretty big bug list on the Total War subreddit, and while Mortal Empires is going to eventually be a great sandbox campaign, right now it's pretty clunky.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I did my one Vortex campaign as the lizardmen, waiting on Tomb Kings to do Mortal Empires. I am predicting just before the Christmas holidays for release on that. Will give them a chance to reimplement Norsca, patch ME and add one of my three favorite races to the game.

Also will be a good time for newcomers due to Steam Winter Sale and patches having rolled out as well.

Last edited:

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I did my one Vortex campaign as the lizardmen, waiting on Tomb Kings to do Mortal Empires. I am predicting just before the Christmas holidays for release on that. Will give them a chance to reimplemented Norsca, patch ME and add one of my three favorite races to the game.

Also will be a good time for newcomers due to Steam Winter Sale and patches having rolled out as well.
That roughly reflects my plans. I’m planning to run the Vortex Campaign with the four core races, then use DLC races for Mortal Empires, likely starting with Norsca. Should give them plenty of time to work out the kinks on Mortal Empires.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm trying the chaos prince on grounds be started with a hell cannon. Doing about what I expected with it lol. The blood mod is alright too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The good news is you run ME thru the TW 2 client for all races, so freed up 25 GB or whatever from my SSD

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's a bit clunky but I'm still really digging my Mortal Empires campaign overall - enough that I ditched my Vortex campaign for it for the time being. I like the whole sandbox "fuck objectives I'm just gonna conquer the world" style, even if in reality I've spent my first 70 turns just re-taking the DE territory and dealing with Chaos being dicks whenever I turn my attention south.

Also is there anywhere that gives specific numbers on the different spells/lores? They feel wildly out of whack - if I roll good Winds I can run Malekith out the front of my army and tear down 1/4 or 1/3 of the enemy before they even hit my front lines (throw in the map spells from having a nearby Black Ark and it's gg), while half the time casting spells on Teclis feels like pissing in the wind, even though he's supposed to be the biggest uber wizard dude in all of Warhammer or whatever. Even Gelt felt like a better caster. It just seems like Dark Magic does a fuckload more straight up damage than the equivalent spells from other lores.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
net and chain lightning are huge spells for teclis, flock of doom isn't as strong but its cheap as fuck so i find it to work out nicely

i think the strongest damage spell is the burning skull, can very easily get 100+ kills / cast with it, and it can be maxed out on some lvl 4 mages ..

malekith is stronger then teclis, CA knows this, thats why a strong malekith is setting you back 4k gold to field in a custom battle while a decked teclis is 2k gold and some change

i always stack some +winds on my chars, once you are guaranteed to start out in the high 20's with a backup pool of 40+ the game is a lot more fun

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Lot of spells do seem kind of whatever. I started using melee based lords, Sigvald destroying pretty hard atm. Not sure how I'm feelin bout warriors of chaos in Mortal but they are fun to play.

Getting artillery to fire at units on walls can be incredibly frustrating. They just wanna move right up under the archway most times.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah artillery has been pretty shit at walls since the ME update or so it seems. I don't remember having too many issues in Vortex, but in ME they have some weird fucking pathing issues and if not all units can fire at the wall/tower, the artillery unit just moves into melee range instead of just firing with whatever can hit, just feels weird, have to babysit them a bunch to make sure it works. It isn't as bad with arc based artillery(catapult/trebuchet type shit) but stuff with low arcs like cannons are buggy as fuck.