Total War: Warhammer

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
If you're gonna play Skaven, Prophet and Warlock DLC is not optional. Ikit's ridiculously fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like the Vortex map for some of the DLC packs (Tomb Kings, Shadow & Blade, Hunter & Beast, Vamp Coast, and, possibly, the newest, Warden & Paunch (which I haven't played yet)) as they have more special buildings for the races, and a mechanic or 2 more (to make up for no vortex race). The Vortex map was also faster (turn times) for most of the games history, but they have improved that tremendously in the patch before the last one.

That said, I have only played the actual race for the Vortex 3 or 4 times, and finished it twice (if the Lord didn't have to do the Vortex race, then I played it on the Vortex map).

Not much to really say about Mortal Empires, other than, it's great having every faction on one map, and I have spent at least 50% of my time playing it. If you want to play Beastmen and/or Chaos, I would highly recommend the SFO: Grimhammer II mod. I would recommended it for use with every race, really, but WH:TW 1 races are lacking, without it (I think Creative Assembly has, over time, made some Empire & Greenskin improvements for use in the ME map, at least).

Here you can see what lords go with what:
2020-06-01 02.08.53 totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com c6f4ac0319ae.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yeah, I mistakenly bought the beastman DLC because it's 50% off. Sad to hear that they are one of the worst races. Went ahead and grabbed all the 50% off DLC for WH: II. So, Prophet and Warlock, Queen and Crone, and Tomb Kings. I'll go ahead and skip vortex. Excited to fire this up!

All of the DLC is worth it at 50% really.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Because of the sale I bought this yesterday and found myself a bit overwhelmed after the most elementary parts of the tutorial. I'm gonna have to go back and try again when my mind is clearer

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Trying to measure the value of the DLC's is different for TW:WH than a lot of other games. You're still playing the same game just as a new race/lord so it's pretty easy to get 40+ hours out of a DLC, or even more if you play every lord in the DLC. That said, unless you have some reason to play a race right away I'd at least do one play through of ME with a main race to see if you enjoy the game enough to play more. Plus the AI uses all the DLCs so you can see them in action before you buy.

I actually enjoyed the Bretonian DLC which is free. Something about hippogryph and pegasus cavalry was fun for me and I liked their research based confederation better than letting your "allies" lose enough to pass the confed threshold.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
my biggest gripe about the DLC's is that you can't absorb DLC factions if you haven't bought the DLC pack. So for Dark Elves for example, if you are playing Malekith you will have Crone Hellbron's faction right next to you and you can't confederate them at all, if they snag a few cities that you need you are stuck allied to them or have to wipe them out to get the cities back, so that part kinda sucks.

like others have echo'ed, Tyrion is a great starting guy, I wouldn't start with Teclis. Grombrindal the White Dwarf is really powerful as well, because you get Thorim as well after you do a few things on Grom, so its like having 2 super powerful lords for the price of one. Dwarves were really fun and super powerful once you make it past the first 20-30 turns. The orcs that start to the south are hyper aggressive but once you stomp a mudhole in their ass its pretty smooth sailing. Melee lords are really nice to learn on.

I am not a huge fan of the Vortex campaign as well, its kinda cool to see it but the Chaos armies that spawn make a bee-line for your weakest stuff and will completely ignore other armies. From a lore-standpoint I have a hard time believing that Archaon is just gonna stroll past a few Empire armies and cities to fight my stuff half a continent away

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I like the Vortex map for some of the DLC packs (Tomb Kings, Shadow & Blade, Hunter & Beast, Vamp Coast, and, possibly, the newest, Warden & Paunch (which I haven't played yet)) as they have more special buildings for the races, and a mechanic or 2 more (to make up for no vortex race). The Vortex map was also faster (turn times) for most of the games history, but they have improved that tremendously in the patch before the last one.

That said, I have only played the actual race for the Vortex 3 or 4 times, and finished it twice (if the Lord didn't have to do the Vortex race, then I played it on the Vortex map).

Not much to really say about Mortal Empires, other than, it's great having every faction on one map, and I have spent at least 50% of my time playing it. If you want to play Beastmen and/or Chaos, I would highly recommend the SFO: Grimhammer II mod. I would recommended it for use with every race, really, but WH:TW 1 races are lacking, without it (I think Creative Assembly has, over time, made some Empire & Greenskin improvements for use in the ME map, at least).

Here you can see what lords go with what:
View attachment 274275
What does the mod do/change? I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to strategy games, so I don't like to potentially cheapen an experience by community "fixing"(often overpowering)a race/faction.

Burns

What does the mod do/change? I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to strategy games, so I don't like to potentially cheapen an experience by community "fixing"(often overpowering)a race/faction.

They change a whole slew of things. I think the goal is to bring each race as close to tabletop balance as possible, in the framework of the game. For example, it adds units to each race, that are present in the tabletop, to give more depth (I can understand why CA didnt include some things, as it can make the game more complicated). I don't play tabletop, so I don't know how close they get, but it is crafted for balance, from the beginning, I think.

When it comes to WH:TW1 races, they usually add mechanics/research to bring them closer to WH2 race options. Like dwarfs can forge items, similar to Tomb Kings. The Empire has a better "Count" system, where you can give stronger versions of Titles to lesser lord, to make up for the lack of rituals (they also get 2 more mages, that exist in tabletop). Chaos can dedicate itself to one Chaos god, and gain more extreme strengths and weaknesses, or go Chaos Undivided, and have access to all the gods research, but a weaker form. I haven't played vanilla Beastmen or Greenskins in a long time, so I cant remember the differences, exactly, only that they have more mechanics (the 1 Beastmen game I played in WH 1 was lackluster, whereas in SFO in WH2, they felt like the race had a fully developed system).

All WH1 Lords in SFO get an expanded skill trees, to make them equal to their WH2 counterparts.

In some cases they ended up fixing holes in the vanilla game. It used to be, that the improved Norsca factions (with Vampire help) would usually rape Empire/Brettonnia lands before the Chaos invasion even happened. Leading to Chaos becoming an unstoppable ball of death, if you were anywhere in the old world. With SFO, the Empire had a fighting chance, and even gave the option of a more lore friendly confederation only path for them (the Elector Counts can not go to war with each other, and instead focus on not dying to Norsca/Vampires/Orks/Brettona/dirty rotten Wood fucking Elves). Chaos would still be a threat, but a stronger Empire would slow them down.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Yeah, I mistakenly bought the beastman DLC because it's 50% off. Sad to hear that they are one of the worst races. Went ahead and grabbed all the 50% off DLC for WH: II. So, Prophet and Warlock, Queen and Crone, and Tomb Kings. I'll go ahead and skip vortex. Excited to fire this up!

Winning as an underdog is one of the most fun things for me in this game.

Just don't even think about it as your first go thru.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I think the goal is to bring each race as close to tabletop balance as possible,

I think anyone who played whfb tabletop will laugh at this hard because the TT balance was non existent and terrible too.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I think anyone who played whfb tabletop will laugh at this hard because the TT balance was non existent and terrible too.

Despite being a mini painter I have never played any of the games. Was the balance basically "whatever new shit we just put out is OP as fuck"?

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Kinda,
Despite being a mini painter I have never played any of the games. Was the balance basically "whatever new shit we just put out is OP as fuck"?

Lots of OP stuff especially Magic phases, where a single caster decimated whole units.

• 1Like

Burns

Kinda,

Lots of OP stuff especially Magic phases, where a single caster decimated whole units.

A single Legendary Lord can kill whole armies in the base game, as is.

Legendary Lord casters like Manfred and Mazdamundi can solo kite most everything in the early game (if you want to spend 45+ min kiting everything). The strong melee LLs can solo whole stacks of armies in the late game. Slap the Sword of Khaine on a level 30+ lord like Kholek or Malekith and they will mow down everything in their way.

* I haven't played 1.9.1, but it seems that the last patch nerfed some of the defensive ward items that really made LLs untouchable. The following guide shows how how it was done prior to 1.9.1 (the item nerf might not even matter for the super LLs, like Kholek, as he was far over the 90% reduction cap when items were stacked):

Last edited:

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Since versions were mentioned -- make sure you opt into the 1.9.2 hotfix beta, as weapon strength is currently not being applied in most cases otherwise.

• 1Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Picked this up on a whim while i wait for the next FFVIX patch to drop. Previously, the only RTS's i have played were WC3 and Red Alert 2 and 3, so this is definitely a bit different style but fun.

Started as Tyrion on Normal difficulty since it was recommended as a good starting point, and it definitely helped since I had no clue what I was doing at the start. At this point, I'm about 150 turns in and have all of the High Elves under me except one, and I'm not sure if the game just doesn't let you confederate your whole faction or if I just waited too long, since he now has some alliances with other factions and that may be what is preventing it from triggering.

Also have the big Chaos invasion going on right now, so currently all the factions are pissing themselves, which is fine since I took care of the 2 waves near my half the map and the big boss is way over on the East side bungling around, so I figure all the groups over there should be able to wear him down before he gets to me.

At this point, I'm bout to go murder some Dark Elves, since I ended up letting them grow too big while I mucked around in the early and mid game. Thankfully the invasion triggered them to offer a cease fire, so I took it just to give me breathing room to finish off the Chaos forces and now I'm positioning my forces to just start razing every city they have the minute the cooldown on breaking the cease fire goes away.

Feels like the kind of game where you can end up spending hours just fooling around; definitely want to do some more campaigns on other races like the Tomb Kings, Lizardmen or the crazy undead pirates.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Which elf faction can't you confederate? Their alliances don't have anything to do with them not wanting to confederate with you. That is determined by your standing with the world and your relative strength compared to theirs.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Because of the sale I bought this yesterday and found myself a bit overwhelmed after the most elementary parts of the tutorial. I'm gonna have to go back and try again when my mind is clearer

How I felt...

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Which elf faction can't you confederate? Their alliances don't have anything to do with them not wanting to confederate with you. That is determined by your standing with the world and your relative strength compared to theirs.

Its Eltharion's faction. He's a pretty good sized faction now, around 10 bases. I have good standing with him and good overall standing, but he is in some defensive and military alliances with the Empire and Lizard groups; which from looking up on the wiki, seems to skew how the power balance is. I think at one point during the mid game, I might have been able to confederate him, but passed because I was worried about being dragged into his battles, but in hindsight it would have been fine I think.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Its Eltharion's faction. He's a pretty good sized faction now, around 10 bases. I have good standing with him and good overall standing, but he is in some defensive and military alliances with the Empire and Lizard groups; which from looking up on the wiki, seems to skew how the power balance is. I think at one point during the mid game, I might have been able to confederate him, but passed because I was worried about being dragged into his battles, but in hindsight it would have been fine I think.

You might be able to later in the game as you increase in power. Also another thing that could happen is he could have a disastrous couple of battles with a faction he is warring with, have no armies and suddenly be willing to confederate as well.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
dont believe you can confederate the DLC factions if you dont own the DLC they are a part of.