Total War: Warhammer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
dont believe you can confederate the DLC factions if you dont own the DLC they are a part of.

That's probably why, I don't have all the DLC yet, only grabbed the free ones and 1 or 2 that were half off on sale.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Unless you really want that Legendary Lord to lead a stack of yours there's really no long term downside to just using conquest to clean up the rest of Ulthuan (or any other stubborn confederations when you're not High Elf). Half the time, if you wait too long in the game the AI has picked shitty skills anyway that you can't reset without a mod.

There are a few workarounds to confederating DLC lords. The AI can confederate so if you play the new Imrik instead of Tyrion, by the time you're ready to push up into Ulthuan Tyrion has probably confed both Alarielle and Eltharion which you can then confed since they now belong to a vanilla faction. You'll have to surpass what would be a strong Tyrion at that point but it's possible.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Unless you really want that Legendary Lord to lead a stack of yours there's really no long term downside to just using conquest to clean up the rest of Ulthuan (or any other stubborn confederations when you're not High Elf). Half the time, if you wait too long in the game the AI has picked shitty skills anyway that you can't reset without a mod.

There are a few workarounds to confederating DLC lords. The AI can confederate so if you play the new Imrik instead of Tyrion, by the time you're ready to push up into Ulthuan Tyrion has probably confed both Alarielle and Eltharion which you can then confed since they now belong to a vanilla faction. You'll have to surpass what would be a strong Tyrion at that point but it's possible.

At this point, I think I’m going to just going to start a fresh campaign. I’m 180 turns in now and it will be a slog to dislodge the Dark Elves at this point, plus I just discovered they somehow took out the dragon High Elf guy way over on the eastern side of the map, so they have a small outpost they can harass me from while I’m stuck clearing the north.

Now that I have a better grasp on things, I think I’m better off starting over and focusing more on the Dark Elves. I got bogged down in the mid game dealing with some of the undead pirates harassing my southeastern shore when I could have just confederized Teclis earlier and had him clear them out.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Just about every race has outpost lords that will harass you. As you get more familiar with the map you'll learn what rivalries the AI likes to push, although it's not the same every game. Then you'll play a different race and relearn everything. Pretty soon you'll have hundreds of hours logged. Enjoy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
At this point, I think I’m going to just going to start a fresh campaign. I’m 180 turns in now and it will be a slog to dislodge the Dark Elves at this point, plus I just discovered they somehow took out the dragon High Elf guy way over on the eastern side of the map, so they have a small outpost they can harass me from while I’m stuck clearing the north.

Now that I have a better grasp on things, I think I’m better off starting over and focusing more on the Dark Elves. I got bogged down in the mid game dealing with some of the undead pirates harassing my southeastern shore when I could have just confederized Teclis earlier and had him clear them out.
Endgame I find that you want one, maybe two very strong army, and then a couple of shit armies you leave for defense, and barricade all your shit so you can protect even a huge empire with those 2-3 shit armies, using garrisons when the enemies come in for sieges. Hell most low tier armies you can kill with just the garrison, or cripple enough that they'll just fuck off for several turns after taking one little hamlet.

And then you want to strike hard and fast, it actually doesn't matter that much to take everything methodically, diving deep into enemy territory and wiping out their big cities tend to have better results. I forgot if they changed Lightning Strike but that was a must for that, so you always 1vs1, and since you 1vs1 but you have a stacked army, you win every fight with minimal losses. You can have a resupply army at some point if you think it'll take too long with one of your defense shit armies, just disband everything and have the lord just sit there as you recruit some high tier units and once it's done you beeline for your army to refill their units. You'll be at upkeep deficit during several turns but the massive gold income from pillaging stuff should easily even it out and once you've hit them hard, you just retreat and start working on the side shit for a while to get ready to go again. Repeat again and that's generally enough to destroy a faction, although if it's really large you might need to do it 3 times.

Armies should be built for complete dominance AND be able to resolve sieges easily(that means a solid way to break down the doors, and a siege tagged unit to not have to build towers). Generally stacked with monsters and T4 melee units, with at least one caster(magic is "free" kills) and preferably a hero that increases replenishment.

The AI cheats but even with cheats if you kill the 9 stacks of shit and raze down their capital, they take a stupid time to recover, while if you're on a striving economy, you can be ready for round 2 like 6-8 turns later and that time they won't have anything that poses a threat.

The pain comes after that when you're trying to settle all that shit and all the vultures come in plus all the public order penalties and stuff, so you generally waste 30turns just making sure that shit's stable until you can go for another.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
The AI is bad at siege defense too if you have good artillery and/or outrange their ranged. Drop their towers quick than fast forward while your artillery clear the walls uncontested before sending in any melee.

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Regarding previous posts on confederation: it could be a matter of your reliability rating as well. Generally it's a mix of basic standing / power level relative to theirs / reliability / whether or not they're under "threat" (i.e. if they're at war with factions stronger than they and are losing territory etc.).

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well, I think my Vampire Coast campaign is at an end. I'm on turn 112 and getting absolutely assfucked by Tyrion(sp?)in the North coast. He overwhelms my largest and most important stack. I could probably forfeit them and rebuild, but I'll likely have the lizards to deal with off my west coast soon and would just be delaying the inevitable. I think I made the mistake of opening too many fronts early. I'm also not a fan of Vampire Coast. I was expecting vampire pirates and instead got a bunch of undead bullshit. I guess I was expecting something that was more...vampirey? They might as well just be called Undead Pirates. Are the vampire counts the same? If so, that seems extremely lame and a misnomer. I'm also not a fan of the "mobile" base mechanic, despite thinking it'd be something cool.

Is there somewhere that gives a rough idea/rundown of each faction/race? What they're about, basic mechanics, etc.? I found myself lost as fuck for a good 40 turns on Vampire Coast, until I finally figured out their whole cove/base mechanic. I'd rather not flounder as much the next time around.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, I think my Vampire Coast campaign is at an end. I'm on turn 112 and getting absolutely assfucked by Tyrion(sp?)in the North coast. He overwhelms my largest and most important stack. I could probably forfeit them and rebuild, but I'll likely have the lizards to deal with off my west coast soon and would just be delaying the inevitable. I think I made the mistake of opening too many fronts early. I'm also not a fan of Vampire Coast. I was expecting vampire pirates and instead got a bunch of undead bullshit. I guess I was expecting something that was more...vampirey? They might as well just be called Undead Pirates. Are the vampire counts the same? If so, that seems extremely lame and a misnomer. I'm also not a fan of the "mobile" base mechanic, despite thinking it'd be something cool.

Is there somewhere that gives a rough idea/rundown of each faction/race? What they're about, basic mechanics, etc.? I found myself lost as fuck for a good 40 turns on Vampire Coast, until I finally figured out their whole cove/base mechanic. I'd rather not flounder as much the next time around.

Vampires are all undead, yea. The Vampire Counts do play different to Coasts though, as they have no ranged, whereas the Pirates have one of the best ranged rosters in the game.

The Counts might have a slightly more vampire theme but, not by much; they only have 2 beasts (Vargheists & Varghulfs) and 1 cavalry (Blood Knights) that are more "vampire-ish." The Vamp Coast Depth Guards are just dismounted Blood Knights, so, I guess you could say, that's mostly a wash. AFAIK, Vampires in Warhammer, generally, do not serve as rank and file troops, but as commanders. That's why they are lords and heroes.

Undead are not the most friendly of races to play, as their mechanics and tactics are a bit different to the living races. You need to build heroes and lords heavy for leadership, and micromanage army placement on the battlefield (stay in leadership aura's). Almost every undead unit has fear or terror though, so it can come down to a game of, route them, before your army disintegrates. Resupplying in the field, at large battlegrounds is huge, and can make up for the heavier losses the undead usually take.

As for the Vamp coast ship, it's awesome when used as support (this goes for Dark Elves too). Fully upgraded, it gives you 3 spells to cast, anywhere on the battlefield, to soften up incoming enemies. I build the ship for full support, for army buffs; one of which gives large boost to army replenishment that makes a significant difference when campaigning.

Steam has a bunch of guides where you might be able to get a rundown for each race, before playing, but I haven't seen anywhere that gives an overview of mechanics and a quick start guide.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Vampires are all undead, yea. The Vampire Counts do play different to Coasts though, as they have no ranged, whereas the Pirates have one of the best ranged rosters in the game.

The Counts might have a slightly more vampire theme but, not by much; they only have 2 beasts (Vargheists & Varghulfs) and 1 cavalry (Blood Knights) that are more "vampire-ish." The Vamp Coast Depth Guards are just dismounted Blood Knights, so, I guess you could say, that's mostly a wash. AFAIK, Vampires in Warhammer, generally, do not serve as rank and file troops, but as commanders. That's why they are lords and heroes.

Undead are not the most friendly of races to play, as their mechanics and tactics are a bit different to the living races. You need to build heroes and lords heavy for leadership, and micromanage army placement on the battlefield (stay in leadership aura's). Almost every undead unit has fear or terror though, so it can come down to a game of, route them, before your army disintegrates. Resupplying in the field, at large battlegrounds is huge, and can make up for the heavier losses the undead usually take.

As for the Vamp coast ship, it's awesome when used as support (this goes for Dark Elves too). Fully upgraded, it gives you 3 spells to cast, anywhere on the battlefield, to soften up incoming enemies. I build the ship for full support, for army buffs; one of which gives large boost to army replenishment that makes a significant difference when campaigning.

Steam has a bunch of guides where you might be able to get a rundown for each race, before playing, but I haven't seen anywhere that gives an overview of mechanics and a quick start guide.

Found a decent YouTube video giving a very brief rundown of each race and their strengths/weaknesses. Helped a lot with understanding the "basics" of each army and what they are good/bad at.

Started a new campaign as Lizardmen. I really enjoy them so far, even though I don't quite understand the whole Nexus mechanics of theirs quite yet. Chameleon skinks and stegadons have been wrecking shit for me.

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Found a decent YouTube video giving a very brief rundown of each race and their strengths/weaknesses. Helped a lot with understanding the "basics" of each army and what they are good/bad at.

Started a new campaign as Lizardmen. I really enjoy them so far, even though I don't quite understand the whole Nexus mechanics of theirs quite yet. Chameleon skinks and stegadons have been wrecking shit for me.

1. Recruit Slaan Priest as Army Lord'
2. Build stegadons
3. ?????
4. Win game

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
1. Recruit Slaan Priest as Army Lord'
2. Build stegadons
3. ?????
4. Win game

Trying to stay away from cookie cutter armies during this Hellebron campaign, choosing names of power that give buffs to specific units and making them either my mainstay or a key part of the composition. Though the temptation to simply spam nothing but high end units can be enticing at times. Though fuck DE cavalry, holy shit they're awful.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Trying to stay away from cookie cutter armies during this Hellebron campaign, choosing names of power that give buffs to specific units and making them either my mainstay or a key part of the composition. Though the temptation to simply spam nothing but high end units can be enticing at times. Though fuck DE cavalry, holy shit they're awful.
A lot of units are pretty fucking awful. There's a reason why each faction has a couple "mainstays".

• 1Solidarity

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
You can do all Shade armies as DE (2 bolt throwers for siege) similar to HE Sister of Avelorn armies. Otherwise the only good units in their roster are Black Guard, Hydra, and Black Dragons.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You can do all Shade armies as DE (2 bolt throwers for siege) similar to HE Sister of Avelorn armies. Otherwise the only good units in their roster are Black Guard, Hydra, and Black Dragons.

Malekith is up there on the list of OP retarded lords

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Lizards get mad at me and bring Empire on my ass. Empire aka the most brutal always gets pulled along with some other faction against me. VC of course always loses to Empire. God damned Karl Franz, this is gonna be another 60 turns of dealing with his ass. Then you lose your buffer against Chaos with him gone.

Best fanmade vid I've seen.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users