Total War: Warhammer

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Lol what faction were you playing?

Some of those hero chars when they get a big lead on the ones you have can be brutal.

The dwarven ghost fuckers are especially harsh. Maybe fight fire with fire, dorf campaigns are tight.

Last edited:

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I fucking suck at this game. I keep chipping away at it, and learn more each time.
I am the same. For the last 2 months or so I've put in 300+ hours and I still get my ass kicked in battle occasion. I know it is because I do not micro-manage enough and I get just butt jammed when there is a crap of stuff going on the battle and I get overwhelmed.

Melee in this game just gets shredded by the AI melee and ranged. I find sending in heroes/lords as the front line and having your range units destroy whatever comes at them to be effective.

Also blasting whatever is incoming with artillery is unbelievably great in shifting the battle in your favor. A bright wizard on a pegasus is insanely powerful with thinning out enemy numbers before they reach you.

Cav sucks. I wish they didnt because, but they do.

My favorite army that I have right now is the Gelt Steam Tank w/BW, & JW & WP doomstack.

But is there a youtuber or similar that you guys would suggest
Legendoftotalwar is probably one of the best players to watch and learn from about the mechanics of both the campaign and battle for all factions.

One critique that I have of him is that he relies heavily on ranged units and magic. He also "cheeses" the game a little bit, nothing really outright exploitative.

His micro-management is insane tho. It really is a treat to watch him work.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I fucking suck at this game. I keep chipping away at it, and learn more each time. But is there a youtuber or similar that you guys would suggest over others that I would find in just a general search? Sometimes I feel like Ill be doing well, and then Ill just get hit randomly by an enemy that for all I can see is no different than the last 20 I stomped, but instead I get stomped. The diplomacy bit is f'n me up quite a bit too. I was fighting against this skaven and the Mother fucker just kept assassinating and wounding all my f'n people non stop. Like.. I get that theyre rats, but yelling "you rat f'n bastards" at 3am was not what I had in mind.
I've learned a ton by watching Legendoftotalwar. He has some solid short videos about units/heroes to use or not use. But his live streams are a fantastic source of tips and tricks and general strategies. I like to skim through them before or during playing a particular hero or race to see some of the stuff he does.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I like Legend but I like watching Elichtv on twitch better. He’s amazing at min maxing thr game but doesn’t rely on op army comps and cheesy strategies like using flying lord or hero to waste all the enemies ammo like Legend. Also most of his campaigns he has handicaps built into them also. For instance he’ll play a melee only woodelves campaign etc. Legend has a bit better micro I think but Elich just plays a more enjoyable way for me than Legend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Cav just takes a lot of micro, maybe more than it's worth most of the time. Sometimes it's a total game changer, esp the flying ones.

Enemy heroes (spies, wizards, whatever) being way ahead of yours is a learning point. I keep those little fuckers busy.

After beating legendary, the other combat modes allowing you to pause feel like absolute cheating. Esp for redirecting ranged units. Oh his arrow turned orange for a second, pause and redirect. Oh lookie, I can perfectly aim a burning head spell every single time at the exact moment I want it to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Cav just takes a lot of micro, maybe more than it's worth most of the time. Sometimes it's a total game changer, esp the flying ones.
Oh indeed.

I love my Reiksguard (early to mid game) and Demigryph Knights (late game) a lot. I just feel like with the time you have to give to manage them, once fights get beyond 15 unit stacks, they just seem to get ranged to death.

Maybe I'm just doing a bad job at managing them.

Supposed Calvary fix tomorrow or Thursday.

1631044540722.png

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Ground cav are terrible because they are terrible in sieges. Ive tried hiding them in trees and sending them to the gate I’m not attacking and they still suck because any cav take forever to bust down gates. And even if they do bust down the gate it still sucks ass maneuvering them inside most city walls and you’ll never get off a good charge anyway. Fuck Calvary. Better off using single entity monsters and monstrous infantry who fuck in siege battle and are still fast enough to run down missile infantry. Air Calvary and flying monsters are awesome in any situation. Vargeists are one of my favorite units.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Oh indeed.

I love my Reiksguard (early to mid game) and Demigryph Knights (late game) a lot. I just feel like with the time you have to give to manage them, once fights get beyond 15 unit stacks, they just seem to get ranged to death.

Maybe I'm just doing a bad job at managing them.

Supposed Calvary fix tomorrow or Thursday.

View attachment 371535
I hear you man, I love Demi’s, blood knights, chaos knights, and dragon knights and really tried to make them work for a long long time, like thousands of hours long lol. They are super bad though in general after the first 30 turns. I even think there is a bug now where infantry counter charge Calvary, even when flanked and cause a ton of damage to charging Calvary. Heavy Calvary seem so fucking slow around 66 speed as well. They’re just in a bad spot. I do limit myself to 1 or 2 of the god tear Calvary per stack. The other problem is the recruitment buildings. I’d probably take more Calvary and especially missile Calvary early game if the building were more convenient to get and didn’t have such a high opportunity cost. I just never want to build a Calvary recruitment building for sub-par units over more income or growth. It’s not worth it.

Most of this is for legendary where the melee bonuses make player Calvary really bad, probably not as bad in lower difficulties. Sorry for rambling I’m high af

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I would love in warhammer 3 if Calvary could dismount and fight on foot and climb ladders. Also adding the Calvary recruitment into the infantry building would go a long way and make for a much more fun early and mid game.

Muurloen

I hear you man, I love Demi’s, blood knights, chaos knights, and dragon knights and really tried to make them work
I feel like everytime i get a great flank in with a stack of cav, I am sending in the dothraki into darkness against the white walkers.

• 3Worf

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I feel like everytime i get a great flank in with a stack of cav, I am sending in the dothraki into darkness against the white walkers.
They replenish every turn like the Dothraki at Winterfell. John Snow had some good replenishment heros in his army.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Meant to say unit... but yall got my joke.

Honestly if they didnt eat as much damage while being in melee and tanked, from both melee and range, just a hair bit better the balance is just fine.

Only thing I really use cav for now is to distract as many units I can from the front line and/or go chew up artillery in the back if I don't already have a flying BW/Lord being used elsewhere.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1631051712353.png

I used chameleon skinks and the heavy dinos with oxy. It tore shit up on very hard.

Building sanctums on your own land isn't a bad idea esp on the outskirts to deal with attackers. The reduced upkeep and extra casualty replenishment were the best.

• 3Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I thought I was just playing with Calvary wrong all this time. Im glad everyone else is pointing out how much they suck. Which everything in my brain is screaming why the fk are literal peasant equivalents f'n up my calv units so bad when theyre fully researched/ranked.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Honestly a pack of dogs or two or some harpies is all you need to cover their archers. Mounted archers have a place for sure and is some of the most fucking frustrating shit to deal with. Nother reason I loved the lizzies, those dactyl's ran down horses lol.

Last edited:

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Sweet! Beta looks like a good change for Calvary though I have no idea how it plays out in game. Time to fire up a Imrik campaign and charge some skaven