Transistor, new game by the creators of Bastion

Citz

Silver Squire
I loved the simplistic Bastion combat system. Is Transistor the same? Is it possible to play without using the Turn() system? That's the only thing that turning me off that game.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I loved the simplistic Bastion combat system. Is Transistor the same? Is it possible to play without using the Turn() system? That's the only thing that turning me off that game.
It is hard to say... After only putting about 3 - 4 hours in to it my gut feeling is that no, you can't. You get a quick 'nuke' pretty early in the game but most every thing else has a cast time or what have you. It may be possible but it would be a lot more work than is immediately worth it.

Having said that; I don't know that I'm the best to compare it to other battle systems. I don't care for the tactical style stuff like X-Com and never made it through the new Fallout. Nothing about the system in Transistor irks me though. To me (and see above, I'm functionally retarded when it comes to putting these things in silos) it is more like a Tales style system, FF XII, ATB, something something. Maybe it is the entire presentation or expectations, but I avoided pretty much all trailers and spoilers so wasn't even sure how the combat worked until playing. It is quick, fluid, and action-y. With a lot of customization to change the behavior and approach to skills.

Unfortunately there isn't a demo, because I'd absolutely say give it a shot. With the price and quality of the rest of the game, I'd still say give it a shot.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's a pretty fast VATS system. It isn't like Baldur's Gate, where you click your character, click the mob, click an action, etc. you just pause, run, set some attacks and unleash, then run around, hide, attack in real time while your VATS recharges. I've only played for an hour or so, so I can't speak to if it gets worse, but it's pretty fun so far.

As stated above, the music, voice acting, graphics, and atmosphere are all great.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sybil kicked my ass a few times. =/

This Turn() system will take some getting used too, and I cannot see how you would get through the game without using it. Top quality game though, imo.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea Sybil was scary. Definitely takes a little getting used to. Also, I wonder if there's a respec at some point because I hate one of my choices already.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I didn't get very far tonight but the atmosphere mixed in with the soundtrack is really damn pleasing. Digging it completely so far~

edit: playing on PS4 btw, looks fantastic

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Still getting small stutters occasionally, but it's very pleasing to look at. Seconded on the Sybil whooping my ass for a bit.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea Sybil was scary. Definitely takes a little getting used to. Also, I wonder if there's a respec at some point because I hate one of my choices already.
You can change your skills at any access terminal you come across.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Can't go above 1080 at a 16:9. No 2560x1440 support =(
I initially had the same problem. I decompiled the program(It's .NET and the original unobfuscated source is available) and looked up the command line options and found a solution hehe. You can set the Steam launch options to-x 2560 -y 1440and get the full resolution.

I also find it funny that the game is built using Microsoft's XNA framework which was meant to allow indie developers make games for the PC/XBox and it skipped being released on XB1 and went to a direct port to PS4 using MonoGame. It just shows how much MS has dropped the ball in another way.

Anyway I'm enjoying the game and its presentation a lot so far.

Also the soundtrack is free on Spotify (mentioned in the news section but not the Steam store page)

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So far awesome game, the I win button is right as the mob goes to attack, you freeze time, get behind it for backstab damage until dead.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I first heard the sword start talking, I was like "dang this'd be cool if it used the speaker on the PS4 controller" and lo and behold, that's an option you can enable! I highly recommend it. The light already flickers in time with the words, so having the sound also come out the controller is a pretty cool little thing.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Loving the game, though I was sort of biased to begin with.

The demo I played didn't allow you to get in depth with how the skills function, how they upgrade each other etc, so that was a really cool little thing. I can't wait to see combat with maximum limiters like Bastion and the shrine idols.

Oh, also, not super far into the game yet but breach + anything for me thus far. Sybil was scary but I took her down without too much trouble - it was pretty eye opening when even jaunt wasn't often enough to get you clear of her.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
This game is an absolute masterpiece.

It is even a better game than Bastion, and I absolutely love Bastion... holding it up as one of the best designed games I have ever played. Transistor tops even that somehow.

The game is very clearly designed completely around the Turn() mechanic, it is core to the experience. Bastion was a Shoot'em Up, Transistor is not, it is a Hybrid RPG/Strategy game with some real-time elements. This style of gameplay approximates the aforementioned VATS from fallout but also is present in a couple of other old school game such as Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve. You could in theory play Transistor like it was a shoot'em up, but I don't know why you would.

Anyone that has any appreciation for masterfully executed design should pick this game up without hesitation. Oh, and everything else is great too
wink.png

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can change your skills at any access terminal you come across.
You can reslot your skills, but you can't change what skill you chose on level-ups, right? I picked the Charm skill (forget it's name) and I absolutely hate it now,

Denaut

Trump's Staff
You can reslot your skills, but you can't change what skill you chose on level-ups, right? I picked the Charm skill (forget it's name) and I absolutely hate it now,
That isn't a big deal, you'll unlock them all without THAT much effort. The system is so malleable anyway you can opt to just not use it as an active.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Charm is pretty great, it would be nice to be able to see when the duration will wear off or something but that would make "charm locking" something a little too easy lol
Either way most often i can just charm something-turn() when it breaks and destroy the enemy

Fun game, has anybody finished it yet? I'm curious on how long it is. I'd guess somewhere around the same as bastion? 6-7 hours or so?