Transistor, new game by the creators of Bastion

Kasted_sl

shitlord
I finished it up yesterday, and it is about 7 to 8 hours. It then unlocks the Recursive Game (NG+). It really is a beautiful and amazing game. Everything just works so well in it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finished it yeah, it's fairly short, says 7hours on steam, however unlike Bastion, there's some good replay value since you cannot unlock everything in one playthrough and mobs keep increasing in power when you replay it apparently. While short though, definitely great, much stronger ambience than even Bastion, while Bastion had a great musical and audio track in general, the rest was fairly average, this has also great graphical design and a really cool setting/story.

On charm, you can see the duration above the mob head, or at least it shows when there's not much time left. It's nice for playing control however mobs do shit for damage so they mostly act as a distraction and since the ability costs a lot of points in Turn() or has a shitty cast time in real time, it's like meh. Can link it to stuff but not a big fan since it means you can't use that ability offensively(charmed mobs take no damage).

The dog function is pretty much OP. It's annoying to have to resummon it at the start of every fight and you can't summon it in Turn(), but once it's summoned it does good damage if you use a damage upgrade, my favorite being the aoe one since it makes bark a fairly large aoe, and he can attack 3times a turn while moving a large distance(moving doesn't consume progress much). Near the end it was barking for 200dmg as backstabs and offtanking stuff, so I could send him to kill shit somewhere while I was doing my own stuff somewhere else.

Also on combat, you can eventually fight without using Turn(). It's actually not bad, however you need a certain amount of functions and slots+memory to actually run it efficiently. Dog is a great help there too, you can get a function that heals you as a passive as long as you're not recharging from Turn() and another that generates an absorb shield every 5seconds, so random damage is fine, then you just pick some combo damage or play it ranged(there's a really good ranged dot that slows and seeks targets automatically for example). Might need a different setup for the last type of mobs in the games though, as the exploding mobs are pretty problematic in real time.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I augmented charm to the 3rd skill you get (can't remember the name, but its the one that fires quickly and splits like little cluster bombs) which would usually end up hitting multiple enemies with charm. Seemed pretty good lol
I'll have to play it some more later~

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At work right now so can't test, but could have sworn last night I was using Jaunt() + Switch() to charm things since you can Jaunt() while not in Turn(). Just dash around and charm a few things if you need then start Turn() and focus fire. It was a long day though so a lot of stuff was blurring together.

Also do love the Dog and found it pretty OP to use right off the bat, especially with some of the other functions you can slot to it.

I augmented charm to the 3rd skill you get (can't remember the name, but its the one that fires quickly and splits like little cluster bombs) which would usually end up hitting multiple enemies with charm. Seemed pretty good lol
I'll have to play it some more later~
Yeah on the survival challenge that ability was pretty good.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah Jaunt Charm is good, but in Turn(), Jaunt costs less than moving so I always use it to position for other skills, if it's upgraded with charm, you can't use it because Jaunting in melee range of a mob charms it, which makes it immune to damage. It's a minor annoyance but eh. The main issue I have with charming is mobs do really shit damage to themselves, so it's fairly pointless other than CC but I haven't found it much of an issue with the dog function and just jaunting around until timer is back up.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you could break charm by hitting them I would like it a hundred times more. As is, yea I just threw it in Jaunt I think.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
There is a timer under the pink charmed mobs that tells you when it wears off.

What I don't like about charm is that I can't harm the charmed mob until it wears off. And having it wear off within a second while I'm planing turning a turn() and wanting to nail it with an attack just wastes that attack so I have to retreat and wait.

Needless

Toe Sucker
yeah that would be nice if hitting them would break it.
But you could also "charm lock" them completely out of Turn() by backstabbing and charming over and over lol

That would be my guess on their reasoning for preventing that anyway

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Can you use a 360 controller on this with Steam? If so I'm going to have to put that new steam streaming shit to use this weekend and play some games I've been putting off.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can, but I found the gamepad controls to be very awkward in combat. It's especially a pain in the ass when you want to line up multiple targets. Felt like every turn took twice as long to set up as it did with the mouse.

I use my DS3 for practically every game that has pad support and isn't a FPS these days, but it was a big fail for this one.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I used my pad for it, wasn't so bad. At some point I stopped using the line skill anyway so I didn't really have to line up anything. Definitely not necessary though unlike say Bastion where it was a big plus to have a pad since it was a lot more action oriented.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yea, Bastion was a bitch with a KB/Mouse, I gave up pretty early due to hating the controls.

Zionmaster_sl

shitlord
God I can't wait to play this! I didn't realize it was already out I fucking fail
frown.png

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Well, that was awesome. Ended up favoring Spark+Load after some Void+Crash as my One-Two combo of massive dps.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Having a tough time getting into this, it's just the turn based gameplay isn't doing it for me...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Pushed through just to see the game out. Ending is fucking bullshit. The whole game they try to make me feel like a woman but they didn't do enough of a job to make me accept that pussy ass bitch move.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Cool game but no idea what's going on at 2 hours in. Like the combat a lot though glad they didn't just clone Bastion there.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finally started on it after having it a while but other games occupying me... Wow, what a game.

Caliane

Love the combat.

the story and exposition however. not a fan.

This has a bit of the same deal Bastion did. you have no idea wtf is going on 99% of the game. with Bastion it made a bit of sense, with the amnesia, and even then at the end you get a clear enough idea of what is going on, and what happened, for it to be satisfying.

Here. not in the slightest. even at the end, you are just left with a shit ton of questions, and a fairly unsatisfying conclusion.
Again, with Bastion, it doesn't really MATTER what happened in the past, the game is about moving forward. Here, it kindof does.
fighting a boss fight at the end, and I have no idea why I am fighting, who I am fighting, or where the fuck I even am.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Love the combat.

the story and exposition however. not a fan.

This has a bit of the same deal Bastion did. you have no idea wtf is going on 99% of the game. with Bastion it made a bit of sense, with the amnesia, and even then at the end you get a clear enough idea of what is going on, and what happened, for it to be satisfying.

Here. not in the slightest. even at the end, you are just left with a shit ton of questions, and a fairly unsatisfying conclusion.
Again, with Bastion, it doesn't really MATTER what happened in the past, the game is about moving forward. Here, it kindof does.
fighting a boss fight at the end, and I have no idea why I am fighting, who I am fighting, or where the fuck I even am.
What questions do you have?