True Detective

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I know I'm really late to the party but I just binged through the first season last week and holy fuck, that was simultaneously the most amazing and most terrifyingly depressing thing I've ever watched. I mean it was a work of fucking art, the best thing done with television since The Wire - but I had to watch old Futurama episodes for an hour or two after every few episodes to bring myself back down to normal. I haven't been so simultaneously fascinated and disturbed by something on TV since I was 8 or 9 years old and watched Event Horizon alone in a dark house while everyone else was asleep. The closest I've come as an adult is Winter's Bone.

Only complaint is that I wish they had chased the whole conspiracy angle further - I'm sure this was discussed extensively in the thread but tbh even this thread is depressing enough that I stopped reading around page 15 or 16. Jesus. TV like that should come with a warning sign or something. I'm almost glad that everyone says S2 sucks, I think another 8 episodes of that and I'd be taking prozac.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Season two does seem more depressing than the first and it was almost determined to go out of its way to rob the viewer of experiencing any joy.

That is, outside of this:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Astro is an idiot for a good majority of the time, but he isnt as bad as popsicle. That shit was insufferable.

Also, Lenny got the bird mask from Caspere, he said it himself.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We knew he got it from Caspere because we saw the blank space where it was.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I know I'm really late to the party but I just binged through the first season last week and holy fuck, that was simultaneously the most amazing and most terrifyingly depressing thing I've ever watched. I mean it was a work of fucking art, the best thing done with television since The Wire - but I had to watch old Futurama episodes for an hour or two after every few episodes to bring myself back down to normal. I haven't been so simultaneously fascinated and disturbed by something on TV since I was 8 or 9 years old and watched Event Horizon alone in a dark house while everyone else was asleep. The closest I've come as an adult is Winter's Bone.

Only complaint is that I wish they had chased the whole conspiracy angle further - I'm sure this was discussed extensively in the thread but tbh even this thread is depressing enough that I stopped reading around page 15 or 16. Jesus. TV like that should come with a warning sign or something. I'm almost glad that everyone says S2 sucks, I think another 8 episodes of that and I'd be taking prozac.
Do yourself a favor and don't watch one second of season 2. It's literally worse than going from the original Star Wars to the prequels.

spronk

FPS noob

yeah, True Detective really is a show that is far, far better binge watched than week to week. I binged S1 a few months ago too and had same reaction, like holy shit that was some seriously FUCKED UP shit. I think people who watched it week to week didn't have it as bad since there were admittedly some shitty parts but that gets washed out in the binge.

No doubt S2 is worse than S1 but I'd bet people who binge it won't get the venomous hate of those of us who had to suffer week to week, and the highlights of the season will probably erase a lot of the really, really shitty early dialogue. Still a crap season though. I'll rewatch season 1 again sometime, I'll never rewatch season 2.

Also s2 lacks glorious titties, a few meh ones but nothing like season 1. I'm watching all of Spartacus right now and goddamn there are some epic slave titties up in this bitch. Lots and lots and lots of cock too. If Pizzaman wanted to be OG, he shoulda made us look at some tranny dick in S2.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Binge watched season 1, watched 1 episode of season 2 and can't be assed to watch another. Season 1 my opinion is the same as everyones (thought they should have died though). However, for me, when Rust goes back undercover as an outlaw biker - it jumps the shark for me. It was like the director really wanted to shoot 1 long take and shoehorned Rust into this narrative to do the amazing robbery scene.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Binge watched season 1, watched 1 episode of season 2 and can't be assed to watch another. Season 1 my opinion is the same as everyones (thought they should have died though). However, for me, when Rust goes back undercover as an outlaw biker - it jumps the shark for me. It was like the director really wanted to shoot 1 long take and shoehorned Rust into this narrative to do the amazing robbery scene.
It was him taking Rust the nihilistic philosopher and turning him into the nihilistic philosopher with a badass spec ops moves. It was, 100%, just to make you more invested in his character to keep you enthralled in the story. 90% of Season 1 was awesome character stuff to keep you watching. 30% of that transfered over to Season 2, mainly in Velcoro, and the rest was supposed to be the spider web of corruption being untangled. Unfortunately some people couldn't care and others couldn't follow. Season 3 will be 2 characters with hard edges probably in a shoot out every episode between Nietzsche quotes and people will love that shit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Leave it to astro to be confused by something as simple as revenge.
thanks for the trigger!

i wasnt confused by the revenge, though he hasnt seen his sister in 25 years and maybe in all that time he was what? plotting revenge? hoping for the day he would randomly meet up with his sister again and then hatch his revenge plot? maybe he was in a fucking mental institution all that time because he was a psychopath?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Leave it to astro to be confused by something as simple as revenge.
Gotta remember 2 things in Astro world. First, it wasn't about revenge, he was a psycho!! The fact he only actually killed people involved in the robbery was pure coincidence. He totally could have killed Velcoro. Second, if your parents died when you were very young, you really don't care about them 20+ years later because you haven't seen them in a long time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Gotta remember 2 things in Astro world. First, it wasn't about revenge, he was a psycho!! The fact he only actually killed people involved in the robbery was pure coincidence. He totally could have killed Velcoro. Second, if your parents died when you were very young, you really don't care about them 20+ years later because you haven't seen them in a long time.
yeah, in merrith world we overlook the mime and bird costumes he was wearing and the grizzly torture/murders he committed in the name of revenge, yes thats completely normal behavior, i heard merrith dressed up as donald duck last week because he ran into an old boyfriend from back in the early 90s who had a bad experince at disneyworld with Mickey in a public bathroom. poor merrith, he led a normal life, owned a nice house in the valley, a successful career in the film industry, but threw it all away because Mickey and Goofy had to pay for what happened!

at least Sleepers was logical, they bumped into their rapist and spur of the moment shot him dead then and there, they didnt need to wear ridiculous costumes either. just boom and done.

lets keep this circular argument going til one of us (you) gives up

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, no. What happens to a kid's parents is long lasting psychological trauma even when it doesn't happen right in front of them. That's been well established in fact and fiction.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yea, no. What happens to a kid's parents is long lasting psychological trauma even when it doesn't happen right in front of them. That's been well established in fact and fiction.
good, then you agree he was mentally unstable/psychopathic. welcome to my side.