True Detective

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There were somereallygood episodes in season 2. Episode 2 (the one where Velcoro gets shot), the shootout, and the one where Ray loses his shit at the doctor's home being some of the more notable ones. The season as a whole was a complete, disjointed mess, however. I think even season 1 started to run into this problem a little bit toward the end, but it wasn't nearly as prevalent as it was in season 2.

spronk

FPS noob
they should bring in mel gibson and danny glover for season 3 of TD. and jet li as the bad guy, who is a blind ex-shaolin monk that now smuggles in prostitutes and terrorists and drugs and has a lot of crazy fetishes

or have TD season 3 take place in 33 AD, and they are roman detectives trying to figure out where jesus's body went. play it up as a buddy cop comedy

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Season 2 wasnt THAT bad cmon.

Velcoro was legendary, and McAdams loved fat pipe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Season 2 could've been saved if I saw some tits and ass from McAdams.

The story just wasn't engaging - the 'crime' was really boring. Few memorable scenes like the shootout, but that's it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Agreed. My main problem with Season 2 is the story was just lame. I didn't really give a shit about it. That said, I don't give a shit who is going to be in season 3. I'm more concerned with writing, at this point, than I am with cast.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Season 2 just wasn't as good as Season 1. The dialogue and directing weren't consistent enough. Some of the dialogue they gave VV was cringeworthy. However, it was still better than a lot of the shit on TV. Based on what I have read, it really fell prey to hubris on Pizzalotto's part...He thought season 1's director didn't give him the credit he was due...as a result, he made a lot of shitty decisions to consolidate his control.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Season 2 could've been saved if I saw some tits and ass from McAdams.

The story just wasn't engaging - the 'crime' was really boring. Few memorable scenes like the shootout, but that's it.
Her tits weren't going to be anywhere near as good as S1. Velcoro was about 99.9% of any good stuff in S2.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the show doesnt deserve a third season with this pizza boy in charge. bring back the guy who this asshole made fun of at the movie scene. no more disjointed fucking dialogue. my god the worst was them intercutting one conversation between the boring gangster and a redhead with multiple scenes then cutting back to the same fucking boring conversation.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, it became clear to me that the writer was only part of the genius behind season 1. There were definitely some great episodes/scenes/moments throughout the season, but it was very rough and inconsistent. I'm sure the HBO prez is partially right, that it was rushed out, but the season 1 director probably helped a bit there as well.

HBO insisting he bring in more help is probably based on the same thing, that he needs other writers/creative types to help balance him out a little bit. I didn't hate season 2 quite as much as most did, it was just a little boring in parts to me. Although, the endings were so depressing and unnecessary. It was like he just decided to fuck all the characters over because 'lulz drama!' but they had very little impact. 'and then.. everyone died or their lives sucked! Isn't that.. DRAMATIC!!'

Gotta say, that shootout episode was, imo, better then any individual episode in season 1 (cept maybe daddario's tits.. gawd dahm) though. It's just the overall story and the performances of season 1 were so consistently out of this world amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2, was like prequels level story with boring political and economic wrangling. give us back our child rapin, murderin psuedo shoggoth cult hillbillies!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't think the overall story from season 1 was somehow inherently better, it was just presented with much more focus and intent. Season 2 could have been amazing based on the setting and story, but it was unfocused and a lot of things seemed either unintentional or irrelevant almost like they were writing on the fly seeing where things went. Give the same cast and crew of season 1 the story/setting from season 2 and years instead of months to prepare and why wouldn't that setting/story have been just as good?

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
That's unfortunate. I hoped he would be able to turn it around with more time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's unfortunate. I hoped he would be able to turn it around with more time.
apparently the show was the baby of the former head of HBO. now that he's gone, so are the hopes of a third season probably. i liked season one mostly,for the supernatural/mystical aspects along with MM's and harrelsons performances. season 2 had none of that, it was just a bunch of lame shit thrown together with an incoherent story. unless they get some good actors and a very compelling story with some supernatural undertones i dont care if it comes back.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I chalked up the crap writing to the shorter turn around and Nick trying to do it all. With more time and additional writing support I had hoped for something good.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I chalked up the crap writing to the shorter turn around and Nick trying to do it all. With more time and additional writing support I had hoped for something good.
This will always be the hope, but it's possible that the magic of S1 was a one time thing.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of surprising that it just took one lackluster season to kill the show.

You'd think the first season would have at least bought another season or two. There are some absolutely fucking terrible shows that last longer than two seasons.