True Detective

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
True Detective (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Louisiana, 1995. Detectives Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) and Rustin "Rust" Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) investigate the ritualistic murder of former prostitute Dora Kelly Lange, found with a symbol painted on her back and wearing a "crown" of deer antlers. A twig latticework, like a Cajun bird trap, is found with her body. Cohle is convinced that this is not the killer's first victim, but Hart is skeptical. Their investigation brings up the case of Marie Fontenot, a little girl whose disappearance five years earlier was not investigated. Another report is brought up, of a little girl who claimed to be chased through the woods by a "green-eared spaghetti monster." Hart invites Cohle over for dinner, unaware that it is Cohle's deceased daughter's birthday. Cohle reluctantly accepts but, losing a battle with alcoholism, turns up drunk. Hart and Cohle follow up on the Fontenot disappearance with a visit to Marie's uncle Danny. In a dilapidated playhouse, Cohle finds another twig latticework.
Seventeen years later, Hart and Cohle are interviewed separately about Dora Kelly Lange by Detectives Thomas Papania (Tory Kittles) and Maynard Gilbough (Michael Potts). Hart and Cohle have not spoken in ten years following a falling-out in 2002. Cohle is shown a photograph of another girl whose body has been found posed in similar fashion to Lange. Papania and Gilbough want to know how the killer could have struck again if he was caught in 1995.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought it was very good. It's one of those shows that's pretty dialogue heavy and you need to pay attention to what's being said. It's also one of those shows that probably wouldn't be as good if it didn't have two A list actors headlining it. It's amazing how McConaughey has resurrected his career from chick flicks.

My hunch is the killer is either Woody or someone we haven't met yet.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
It would be really weird if it was Woody Harrelson. just from the first episode he doesn't seem to be the type to be a fucked up weirdo. he just seems like an average joe, it would be kind of stupid.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
the timeline of this show is 1994 or 1995. they solved the case, then 7 years later they parted ways then we see them now in 2012 in interviews. rust probably does give the weiner to woody's wife. they already established he isnt sleeping with her and probably fucking chesty mc bigtits at work. so its entirely possible rust and the wife fuck. but they say very clearly that the case is completely separate of their relationship and it wasnt until 7ish years did they stop working or talking together.
You do realize that 2012 - 1995 is 17 years, right? Maybe I'm mistaken, but they hadn't spoke since 2002 or 10 years.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
You do realize that 2012 - 1995 is 17 years, right? Maybe I'm mistaken, but they hadn't spoke since 2002 or 10 years.
So 1995 +7yrs they worked together = 2002. Add the 10 years since he said he last spoke with him and that brings you to 2012. Don't see the issue.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I misread Astro's first post. Disregard my unnecessary math lesson.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
It was alittle different then what I was expecting and to be honest I am still not sure if I liked it or not. I have been trying to figure that out all week. Matthew McConaughey's character is really interesting though and I thought he did a great job playing the 2 different sides of the same person. The younger Rust who was trying to stay sober and come to grips with his place in the universe and then the older Rust who clearly gave in to his alcoholism after what we can assume was some deep shit that happened. I will definitely watch it next week though and I hope this is a slow burner where each episode gets better and better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really liked the first episode and both McConaughey / Harrelson are really good, especially McConaughey. I also like the atmosphere / ambiance, they're doing a very good job at depicting Louisiana. Felt like David Fincher's Zodiac, in some way.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Lester from The Wire will be the killer, but it will turn out to be a larger conspiracy involving the church. Woody will doubt McSkeletor because of his bias against religion, but will eventually admit that he's right. The whole thing will be buried because of the connection to the governor.

/or not

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just watched the first episode tonight. Good stuff.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
He actually looks more natural in the 2012 scenes with the scraggly meth hair. The beanpole look seems odd when he still (somewhat) has his shit together.

He was in Oscar mode for Dallas Buyers Club (before? after? during?) and it shows here too. Maybe that's why he switched characters - he already had to look like he had buttAIDS for this other role anyway.

Fedor

<Banned>
post your dream cast for the new pair of detectives in season 2

dumb-and-dumber-dumb-and-dumber-6241055-853-461.jpg