True Detective

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
So I've yet to watch this, I have both episodes DVR'ed. I'm debating on letting it run its course and just watching them all at once.

Thoughts?
Depends on what you enjoy in a TV show. This is one of those mystery stories that has an explorable backstory lore based on references mentioned in the show. So if you just want to see what happens, I'd wait til the end and watch it together. If you're the kind of person who wants to look at fan discussions/theories between episodes this is definitely the type of show that supports it.

For me, I feel like I would be missing half the show if I wasn't reading/looking up a lot of the stuff referenced. I enjoyed LOST speculation but was disappointed with the ending. I really enjoyed the Carnivale lore, but was disappointed it was cancelled early. I believe this series is going to have contained stories each season, so hopefully it's neat and tidy.

As an example of the depth,here's a short story, which is the basis for an anthology, which is the basis for a cult, which (may be) the basis for a ritualistic murder, which is the basis for the two detectives to be working together, which is the basis for the two detectives to have a problem with each other, which is the basis for two cops having to interview them separately over a decade later.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Am I the only one who caught the HP Lovecraft reference? There's no discussion of it but it stuck out to me like a gigantic neon sign.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Am I the only one who caught the HP Lovecraft reference? There's no discussion of it but it stuck out to me like a gigantic neon sign.
I'm not sure which aspect you're directly referencing, but I have a link above which was seminal to Lovecraft's work.

This short storyby Bierce was the basis and introduced the city of Carcosa.
Chambers took some of the names/themes from the above story and createdthis anthologycalledThe King in Yellow. The title is a reference to a fictional play, which drove the reader mad upon reading. This play/anthology is referenced directly in the show, in the victim's notebook most explicitly.
Lovecraft similarly referenced Chambers'The King in Yellowforthe Cthulhu Mythos.

A lot of the images in the cinematography correlate with either the Bierce introduction or the Chambers anthology. In the short story, the narrator notices an owl:
rrr_img_57408.jpg

One of the chapters ofThe King in Yellowis called The Yellow Sign, this might be a hint:
rrr_img_57406.jpg

The first verse from a song inKing in Yellowis:

Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa
This is a shot from the show:
rrr_img_57405.jpg

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Seeing those tits get unleashed was a religious experience, my god hallelujah.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the best pair of tits I have ever seen. I grade this show as a DD++

• 1Like

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
"She saved me the sin of being a father" Jesus H christ, that was some powerful stuff. All the interview scenes with Rusty were awesome.

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well this is one cheery fucking show. I should save it for when I have a new Almost Human to watch afterwards as a goddamn cleanser.

• 1Solidarity

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The pilot was called "The Long Bright Dark". When your episode title sounds like a doom metal album, you know you're not in for much cheer.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great 2nd episode, Matt is channeling some Emmy performance now. The locker room scene was hilarious (you got pussy on you). I still think there is something about Woody's character that's off. At least he doesn't come off as a little goodie two shoes in this episode.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Woody's character is just a mass of 'cop beaten down by the job' cliches--religious, drinker, adulterer, corrupt*, etc.--but there doesn't seem to be anything sinister about him. On the bright side, he's playing the part really well this time, unlike, say,his last cop role in one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

*-Based on my assumption that there was some sort of cover up/railroading by the governor and the church guy in the first case that he went along with, resulting in the real killer going free.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I haven't noticed, but is Marty wearing a wedding ring in the current day interviews? I'm guessing he's divorced.