True Detective

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I looked through his last several movies, he's still playing the guy fromWedding Crashers. He might get a supporting role but I don't think he'll be one of the leads. Taylor Kitsch(the meat head from Friday Night Lights) has more serious acting creds than him.
To be fair, Matthew McConaughey had a stretch of shitty romantic comedies as well, but we all know how that turned out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, both McConaughey (how the fuck did he get famous with a name that is that hard to spell?) and Harrelson would have been considered pretty similar to Vaughn career-wise at some point. In fact, when I told my sister about True Detective she just said "Matthew McConaughey just plays the guy from Dazed and Confused in every movie". She was wrong of course, but that isn't a totally off the wall opinion if you haven't seen his stuff the last few years.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be fair, Matthew McConaughey had a stretch of shitty romantic comedies as well, but we all know how that turned out.
14 years is a long shitty stretch it looks like the last time he did anything serious was Psycho(1998) or The Cell(2000). I've seen The Cell but I don't remember which part he played.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, both McConaughey (how the fuck did he get famous with a name that is that hard to spell?) and Harrelson would have been considered pretty similar to Vaughn career-wise at some point. In fact, when I told my sister about True Detective she just said "Matthew McConaughey just plays the guy from Dazed and Confused in every movie". She was wrong of course, but that isn't a totally off the wall opinion if you haven't seen his stuff the last few years.
I think the movies I remember seeing him in before True Detective would be A Time to Kill, Amistaad, Reign of Fire, Sahara, Lincoln Lawyer and Dallas Buyers Club. Some are pretty bad(Sahara), but they aren't stoned dumbass or RomCom movies. I guess my point is that McConaughey has had diversity in the films he's made in the last 20 years where Vince Vaughn has done nothing but the same role for 14 years.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I agree that it was an odd choice, but these guys are professionals. Vince Vaughn is typecast for those kind of movies and they make him a lot of money. It's less a sign of his talent and more a sign of steady work as an actor. After the stellar first season, I have a decent amount of faith in the casting they'll do.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Vaughn could be an imposing mother fucker if they made him a bad guy too. Especially if the leads are normal sized actors (ie midgets).

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, is an interesting thought for Vaughn too. I could totally see him as psychotic, along the lines of Ledger's Joker or Michael Madsen's Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Well if it's a "whodunnit" like the first season, I doubt they will cast someone that well known as the bad guy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
There's no saying that one of the protagonists couldn't end up being the villain.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Collin Ferrell's career has been one of unrealized potential and questionable decisions. Maybe this legitimizes him a bit.

If he can turn in a performance as good as McConaughey or Harrellson, it could propel him leading man status in any project he wanted.

I will be cautiously optimistic. True Detective season 1 was so good, it feels like everything to come after is setup to be a bit of a let down.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
It's a similar situation to McConaughey for me where I really didn't give a shit about him based on his filmography, but did really like him in A Time To Kill. Farrell was pretty decent in supporting roles in Crazy Heart, Minority Report and The Way Back and I really did like him in Seven Psychopaths.

The truth is we're really just going to find out how good this writer is with season two. I think Colin Farrell will be fine assuming the writing compares to season 1.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
No mention of Colin Farrell is complete without mention of In Bruges.

Wave good bye to ten minutes of your life! (and I'm not bein' fonny)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think he is a great choice. In addition to the films listed here I even enjoyed him in Fright Night.