True Detective

Szlia

Amusingly, that episode was directed by Justin "Fast & Furious 3, 4, 5 & 6" Lin! We knew he had more than one string to his bow though, since he started his career doing indie comedies about asian americans.

About Vaughn's character being overly serious, I think the story makes it obvious that we get to see him at a very tense and critical time for him, so there is very little room for jokes. And the only time we see him in a flash back, he is telling a cop who raped his wife, so it's not exactly happy fun time. There is room for the character to have a broader range, be it through flashbacks or in the way he reacts to the inevitable shit sandwich that will be is life in the coming weeks.

Oh and let me add that David Morse, who plays the guru, is great. He was amazing in Treme as a cop tired with police corruption. It takes some special actors to give life to characters that are such Mensch.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Love it. Thought all the actors were great and/or in perfect roles. I think Vaughn is playing the character perfectly, somebody who is wearing a mask, trying to be somebody he isn't while hiding his insecurities. His dialogue shows how insecure he is at this moment, asking twice about springing for the country club. And there is all that rage boiling underneath that emotionless face (i.e., shattering the glass).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Season 1 and 2 are entirely different stories and as thus should be separate discussions. This should be split into a S1 and S2 at the very least.

American Horror Story is the same and often spawns its own seasonal thread.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They definitely filmed it so perspective wise it looked real, until they show the size of the bowl I was like wtf did we just see

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am going to have to rewatch it tonight. I wanted to wait until I was all done with dinner/chores/distractions so I could concentrate but it took too long and by the time I watched I was too sleepy/drunk to follow it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Never thought that in the moment of watching the episode. Glad they are not the same person as it would have been one to many coincidences to be plausible. The GF and the picture sure to look similar though.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So, one more would be too many coincidences to be plausible? We should count the current coincidences, though, to find the magic number of coincidences that is still completely plausible.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I'll always see the hippy dad as Ed Harris's right-hand man in The Rock. I thought the episode was kinda weak for a premier but it was obviously all character development, so I'll reserve judgment for now. A few thoughts:

1. Assuming that the CHP guy was taking dick pills in order to bang his girl, did anyone else notice that the writers made it a point to show how all the cops have messed up relationships with sex (i.e. cop lady wanting something WAY too kinky for an ex-con to handle, Farrell being middle aged, single and celibate, and the guy who executed the code red in A Few Good men being impotent)?

2. I think that singer chick is going serve as the function of chorus ala ancient greek tragedy.

3. "I'll make you watch me butt-fuck your daddy with your mom's headless corpse right here in the front yard." = $$$

Simas_sl

shitlord
It's the summer so I'll definitely keep watching - nothing else on. I am kinda bummed everything seems cliche and ultra dark. I thought Season 1 was at its best when it felt like anything could happen. I wasn't sure where it was going, but I expected the end would be pretty unconventional, or at least pretty crazy. When it wrapped up with a relatively conventional chase scene and Rust adopting a happier outlook on life I was let down.

With Season 2, I already feel like I know broadly what's going to happen. Vaughn is going to have trouble going straight because of his criminal past. The motorcycle cop is going to throw himself into the case because otherwise he'll kill himself. He'll go too far. Collin Ferrell is going to be pulled between the criminal world and the world of the police. The police will end up being just as bad. The girl is going to have issues working with all of them men. She probably has a rape fetish or something like that. No happy endings.

Hopefully there will be more to it than that. Like i said, I'll keep watching either way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
They did a pretty good video on the science of human decomposition and the Texas body farms.

Thats all I got for good words about vox...

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I had no idea about the site...but thought the author made some valid points.
(Overuse of imagery, too many seeping views of highways, etc)

an accordion_sl

shitlord
That 30 points article wasn't too terrible. They have a point with an obscene amount of exposition and humanizing the characters. They're kinda trying to cram the first two episodes of a new show into one. Normally we get introduced to the characters and the main plotline of the show in episode 1, then following episode actually makes you empathize with them. This opener did both, with an overbearing soundtrack... it wasn't bad, but it could have been a lot better.