True Detective

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hosix

All labs matter!
Good episode Sunday. Ali did something to fuck things up. It’s also clear that Dorff and Ali did some shady shit?

Shootout was to the level of season 1. Not even close.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great episode. I didn't even consider that he might have messed around with Dorff girl but it makes sense. Would also explain the no marry/kids angle (at least to that woman).

Hosix

All labs matter!
I didn’t think about him fucking her either.

What I really liked was the two old guys sitting on the porch. I actually felt bad for Ali’s character and that he couldn’t remember. You could see Dorff kind of realize how fucked Ali’s mind was.

Now we get two old guys cop buddy movie?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I think they murdered someone or some shit - I don't think it's related to the girlfriend though maybe the split was some kind of side effect of what they did together.

Stephen Dorff deserves to get some decent roles, he's been knocking it out the park when he has the scenes. It's a really good pairing between him and Ali.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I think they murdered someone or some shit - I don't think it's related to the girlfriend though maybe the split was some kind of side effect of what they did together.

Stephen Dorff deserves to get some decent roles, he's been knocking it out the park when he has the scenes. It's a really good pairing between him and Ali.
Seems like the show wants us to think they killed Harris, and if they did, he's probably the guy in the suit Ali said sorry to. Then again, if he didn't remember him, why would he say sorry during the hallucination? Guess the memories come and go. Or this is completely wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think because of them roughing up the pedo earlier in that barn it's kind of foreshadowing that they find some one doing something pedo related and basically just take justice into their own hands. I'm sure it's one of the AG's underlings or something and they kill him and then maybe find out he wasn't as complicit as they thought. That's why he'd feel guilty over it. Dorff keeps saying "you killed a man" and it's definitely not Howard they're talking about.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
They kind of already played the "partner screws partners chick" card in season one. Would feel kind of lazy to rehash that, especially since we are 5 episodes in and she hasn't really played a role in the story like Marty's wife did. There was a buildup in season one that made sense.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
They kind of already played the "partner screws partners chick" card in season one. Would feel kind of lazy to rehash that, especially since we are 5 episodes in and she hasn't really played a role in the story like Marty's wife did. There was a buildup in season one that made sense.

They really seem to be pretty closely mirroring the season one formula, which is fine, but I do think they are adding in a few too many red herrings which is making it pretty difficult to have fun speculating

I have a feeling Ali completely and purposely deep six'd Dorff's career chasing one of his "i'm convinced this is how it is" theories, which he may have been wrong about since there's evidence of his dementia starting to manifest even in the 1990 timeline

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Just caught up to current with this season. I think it is great. Season 1 was lightning in a bottle that will never be recaptured; but if they keep making it as Goog as this season has been then I will happily keep watching.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just caught up to current with this season. I think it is great. Season 1 was lightning in a bottle that will never be recaptured; but if they keep making it as Goog as this season has been then I will happily keep watching.

Yeah but who else is going to be watching with you?

1549518819922.png

0.2 is treading close to cancellation material for a AAA HBO series.

800,000 viewers went ahead and saw Episode 5-- and that's OK, Superbowl right?

That third episode is where the tell is. 1 guy watching isn't apt to fix the ratings problem.

Last edited:
  • 4EyeRoll
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
It started streaming the Friday before and I'm assuming those numbers aren't in your spreadsheet. Didn't you come into this thread a few weeks ago with a similar fake news situation that I had to check?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ray Donovan, "a failed dying TV series" according to FOH, is doing similar numbers to True detective.

It started streaming the Friday before and I'm assuming those numbers aren't in your spreadsheet. Didn't you come into this thread a few weeks ago with a similar fake news situation that I had to check?

These are the ratings as reported. "My spreadsheet". Pack up the bias, Stanley.

Sick trend. You haven't addressed Episode 3.

1549522106382.png

1549522151260.png

Hosix

All labs matter!
Instead of discussing who or who isn’t watching...

Can we get back to potential theories? Red herrings and how good Ali/Dorff have been?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
jayrebb jayrebb Cool story bro.

Yeah but who else is going to be watching with you?

View attachment 193153

0.2 is treading close to cancellation material for a AAA HBO series.

800,000 viewers went ahead and saw Episode 5-- and that's OK, Superbowl right?

That third episode is where the tell is. 1 guy watching isn't apt to fix the ratings problem.

HBO boss weighs in on whether True Detective could return for season 4

"Creatively, ratings-wise, it did everything that we wanted it to do," Bloys told Deadline of the show's current run. "It’s up to 8 million viewers an episode, we were thrilled with the review, I think fans have really liked it.

"Obviously acting is superb. I was very, very, very happy with all aspects of it."

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The de-facto promoter of all HBO content talking to a tabloid rag like Deadline doesn't do anything for me.

He has an angle. Nielsen doesn't. The fact he had to comment at all is very telling that people are asking performance-related questions and looking for answers. It comes across as defensive.

But I am in full agreement that a hype man + Deadline could indeed tell a very cool story.

Nielsen ratings - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • 3Picard
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The previous two seasons of True Detective spawned discussions throughout the entire week. It was full of comments, speculation, and/or memes. Season 1 for all the right reasons, season 2 for all the wrong reasons.

Season 3, we comment in the immediate 24 hours after a new episode, then we go silent till next week. Those are some facts we all have to digest. We don't love, we don't hate it, and unfortunately we certainly don't seem to think or speculate about it.

Maybe the final couple episode really come through? I hope so.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users