True Detective

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
But people are so used to shows trying to be clever and trick them that they notice the most minute details and think it's some foreshadowing or hint.
I don't think it's people really, it's just reddit, which has turned into a pack of aggressive nerds that are to be avoided. Unfortunately they have a fair number of sycophants on this board.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
So I met a really cute girl at the bar last night and she had black stars tattooed over her shoulder. Does that mean she was gang raped as a child and or have daddy issues? I'm so confused.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't think it's people really, it's just reddit, which has turned into a pack of aggressive nerds that are to be avoided. Unfortunately they have a fair number of sycophants on this board.
The DVR-pausing retard brigade is hardly limited to Reddit. I'm sure there's plenty who don't frequent it. Reddit is just very popular, so it seems they all come from there.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I met a really cute girl at the bar last night and she had black stars tattooed over her shoulder. Does that mean she was gang raped as a child and or have daddy issues? I'm so confused.
You may as well just shove a pinecone in your ass and tie yourself to a tree.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
It's like some weird inverse of the characters from the show, where we hear the theories and obsessions of people looking for meaning in unconnected things like some sort of autistic private eye firm.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I know that girl

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I don't think anyone is genuinely upset that their theories weren't realized. Personally, I didn't think the philosophical concepts were so profound that I was willing to ignore the fact that the show deteriorated into a sloppy, unfocused crime drama about halfway through the season.

We hear ominous whispers about Carcosa and the Yellow King, yet everything is so nebulous that it doesn't make sense. The cult has far-reaching influence but all we get is a standard chase involving a lawn-mowing hillbilly. You can't give the audience a bird's-eye view of your villain and expect it to have any dramatic punch.

And what was with that ridiculous vortex scene at the end? Is it supposed represent Cohle's newfound spirituality or was it a nod to the Cthulhu mythos? The cult could have been connected to another dimension for all we know.

The first 3 or 4 episodes were some of the best television I've seen but the show lost direction after Cohle went rambo in the projects and never recovered its sense of pacing and tension.

Fedor

<Banned>
And what was with that ridiculous vortex scene at the end? Is it supposed represent Cohle's newfound spirituality or was it a nod to the Cthulhu mythos? The cult could have been connected to another dimension for all we know.
Grooming2.gif

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that idea is about as stupid and far-fetched as the notion that some guy is having visions of symbols with no real meaning attached to them.

Fedor

<Banned>
Yeah, that idea is about as stupid and far-fetched as the notion that some guy is having visions of symbols with no real meaning attached to them.
You mean the spiral symbol that Rust has been obsessed with for ~17 years? The one we've already seen him have a hallucination of even before this episode?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Actually, it's entirely possible that everything he saw was real. If you really want to believe in that shit, it works. There was power in that room - Childress really was on the verge of ascension, everything the carcosa nuts were saying was real and literal, and so on.

But even Rust believes it's just drug-induced hallucinations. He was in a creepy fucking lair of death filled with occult symbols with Childress chanting mumbo jumbo at him and his LSD kicked in.