Twitch.tv

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I agree with Mark Cuban in general on this point, but one thing he neglects to account for is that a large number of these guys would be putting an insane number of hours into these games anyways. It is basically dual purpose. It is only when they start playing games far longer than they would have if not for streaming that they fall into the pit he describes.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, never said I wanted to stream, bro. Im just saying. Sitting on your ass enjoying a game you like makes the time fly. To your other point I dont even know how much these fools really make. what is a "sub" really worth? I know one dude, datModz that quit his job as chemical engineer, I think. He was bitching the other day about how much he has to shell out in self insuring himself now, lol. dont really know how many subs he has but pretty good viewership of 3-3.5K a day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I put in some 8 hour+ sessions recently on my Witcher 3 replay. Did it a bunch at BfA launch too... regrettably.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the ship has sailed on this streaming shit these days. The whole market is floded with people trying to stream their way to making money for a living. I guess if you got in on the ground floor back when twithc was just a baby, then maybe you had a chance, but still either you have to be really fucking good at the game you play or have some sort of personality that attracts people to see you. Maybe a lucky break? Just like any entertainment. Contrast is with people like Shroud, which has a personality of a doorknob but really good at shooters, or Asmond which kinda sucks at games but can talk for hours about nothing and his act, or real? Has a certain entertaining value to it.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I think that is a big problem with "professional" streamers who stick to one game or one genre. It's why I prefer small time hobby streamers who just stream whatever the fuck they want to play and don't give a shit about the viewers. You can tell that the latter are just having a good time, while for the formers you're watching them do a job.
Yeah. direwolf20 has been streaming minecraft for like 7 years.

I'd kill myself.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea the amount of money I'd have to be pulling in to make it worth it to keep the schedule most "successful" streamers do would have to start at 6 figures at least.

These dudes that do 10+ hours daily 6 days a week have to just be miserable. They can't take breaks, the math has been done on that. Taking a vacation is more than just lost income for those days - it tanks subscriber numbers in like an exponential way the longer you're not online.

Streaming to like 1000 people like so many of these dudes do sounds like hell to me.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I know one dude, datModz that quit his job as chemical engineer, I think. He was bitching the other day about how much he has to shell out in self insuring himself now, lol.
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't stream for a living. The cost of good insurance is through the roof. I have my kids and my wife only insurance plan. When I shattered my wrist and had to get titanium plates, it was well over $35000 for the surgery and that's not including physical therapy. At least I got paid 100% of my salary while I was out. Plus I'm putting alot of money in my SIP so I can retire comfortably.

I think that is a big problem with "professional" streamers who stick to one game or one genre. It's why I prefer small time hobby streamers who just stream whatever the fuck they want to play and don't give a shit about the viewers. You can tell that the latter are just having a good time, while for the formers you're watching them do a job.
Main reason why I stopped watching Asmongold. I got tired of watching WoW streams. I dont know how someone can stream 1 specific game and not get bored.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
The worst part is that the more you stream, you start saying "twitch" lingo irl. Imagine socializing irl and someone says something and you literally say "lulw"

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Heard my son use the term "ethical". Someone killed him in Fortnite and he was complaining it wasnt an ethical kill. I think Quin69 started it.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Heard my son use the term "ethical". Someone killed him in Fortnite and he was complaining it wasnt an ethical kill. I think Quin69 started it.
He picked that up from PoE memes I'd assume, it's an old PoE meme, from pre SSF leagues where people playing the "true ethical SSF" way and other vegan self dick sucking shit. At least that's the only place I hear it often enough and it still sticks nowadays.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
You should beat him until he stops being a faggot.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
He picked that up from PoE memes I'd assume, it's an old PoE meme, from pre SSF leagues where people playing the "true ethical SSF" way and other vegan self dick sucking shit. At least that's the only place I hear it often enough and it still sticks nowadays.
You're probably correct. I heard Quin use it when he was playing PoE HC SSF mode.

Cybsled

I’ve used Jebaited in online games before lol.

but ya, streamers need variety to not burn out. Even guys like Summit or Shroud get burnt as fuck.

The ones that seem to do the best are the variety streamers where their audience expects that. Strippin is usually one of the more entertaining ones for me when he is streaming with other people and RPing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
LOL, never said I wanted to stream, bro. Im just saying. Sitting on your ass enjoying a game you like makes the time fly. To your other point I dont even know how much these fools really make. what is a "sub" really worth? I know one dude, datModz that quit his job as chemical engineer, I think. He was bitching the other day about how much he has to shell out in self insuring himself now, lol. dont really know how many subs he has but pretty good viewership of 3-3.5K a day.
I get $2.50 per sub

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Doc is playing Overwatch. This is going to be hilarious.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users