Twitch.tv

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You would think the music companies, would come up with some fair pricing to allow for their music to be used. Instead they just price themselves out of making more money. It's pretty absurd how music licensing is ran. It doesn't even take into account how much value these streamers provide to the music companies because they are giving the music exposure. The video games companies so far are the only industry doing it correctly. They see the value that these streamers give to sales and to grow the brand of their product.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You would think the music companies, would come up with some fair pricing to allow for their music to be used. Instead they just price themselves out of making more money. It's pretty absurd how music licensing is ran. It doesn't even take into account how much value these streamers provide to the music companies because they are giving the music exposure. The video games companies so far are the only industry doing it correctly. They see the value that these streamers give to sales and to grow the brand of their product.
It's pretty funny really. The video game companies PAY the streamers to play their games. The music companies attack you legally. Talk about different viewpoints.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Araxen

It's pretty funny really. The video game companies PAY the streamers to play their games. The music companies attack you legally. Talk about different viewpoints.

Yeah, it boggles my mind. Lirik would play three songs at the end of his stream everyday. There was always people asking what the songs where. I don't get how the music companies can just ignore that kind of exposure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if it has to do with no concerts happening and the music industry is grapsing at straws

move and music studios are all entwined so:

my conspiracy theory is this is all party of the big studios trying to get a better deal from the major streaming platforms as they transition away from theaters and into digital releases

this is just first salvo in a war that they'll get fucking creamed in, but studios are full of pedophile retards so it makes sense they'd make this mistake

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've found so many new bands watching streamers, it's crazy. Bands I would've never listened to.

Lars Ulrich must be salivating

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is the best thing to happen to Twitch in a long time.

• 1Solidarity

joz123

Potato del Grande
How were they allowed to use copyrighted music in the first place? Anything on TV can't use more than 10 seconds of a song without getting rights to play it. Why were those turds allowed to use whole songs?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
How were they allowed to use copyrighted music in the first place? Anything on TV can't use more than 10 seconds of a song without getting rights to play it. Why were those turds allowed to use whole songs?
There are youtubers who do nothing but reaction videos to music all day long on youtube. They get hit with DMCA but it seems to be only from certain bands.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Our copyright system is crazy. It's your lifetime plus twenty years. So, If Billie Joe Armstrong of Greenday, at 18, had only written When I Come Around (and no other songs), he was already set for life. And his kids were probably set for most of their lives, too.

I ran into a guy who helped Collective Soul with one of their drumtracks. Not singing, not playing the bass, hell, not even playing the entire drumtrack, just helped with like a minute or so clip on ONE song. And, to top it off, not even a hit song. I pushed him on it, and he was just like, "Yah, I bring in like $1,500-2,000 every month from that."

Fuck these people that say that copyright laws are fine the way that they are. Fuck them right in the ass.

Copyright should be 10 years on music. After that, it goes free domain. If you can't make your money on it by then, fuck you.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our copyright system is crazy. It's your lifetime plus twenty years. So, If Billie Joe Armstrong of Greenday, at 18, had only written When I Come Around (and no other songs), he was already set for life. And his kids were probably set for most of their lives, too.

I ran into a guy who helped Collective Soul with one of their drumtracks. Not singing, not playing the bass, hell, not even playing the entire drumtrack, just helped with like a minute or so clip on ONE song. And, to top it off, not even a hit song. I pushed him on it, and he was just like, "Yah, I bring in like $1,500-2,000 every month from that."

Fuck these people that say that copyright laws are fine the way that they are. Fuck them right in the ass.

Copyright should be 10 years on music. After that, it goes free domain. If you can't make your money on it by then, fuck you.
Not sure I agree. Would you think after 10 years any game or movie should be free domain too.?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
What's the alternative? To have shitty shows and movies coming out, like we do now? Games? Games have such a low sell through rate after say, a year (hell, a month) that I just wouldn't care. I don't think that anybody in the software industry would give a shit either. The only people that you hear bitching about it from are people like Abobe, who make PhotoShop and the Abode Creative Suite. And the reason for that is because there is not really that much more that can be done with photos. It's either this or our copyright laws have forced someone into submission. In other words, say that there is someone out there that would like to see a new feature added to PhotoShop. A couple'a more people add to this, and eventually it turns out to be something unexpected. PhotoShop wouldn't even hear about this, unless it showed up in GIMP first.

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Corporations would win out because they still have armies of lawyers, so your 10 year proposal would only hurt the little guy. Struggling writer? Struggling musician? Only have 10 years then big corps can steal your shit and make more money than you.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Corporations would win out because they still have armies of lawyers, so your 10 year proposal would only hurt the little guy. Struggling writer? Struggling musician? Only have 10 years then big corps can steal your shit and make more money than you.

Right, and that's exactly why Linux is used for 90% of our servers today.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I believe, although I'm not certain, that Red Hat is still a FOSS project. It's the support people are paying for. Not the OS.

Araxen

So moonmoon said his subs weren't spamming Lirik's chat the other day. I go look up the vod and they were. lol