Twitch.tv

Oldbased

> Than U
Streamers used music for atmosphere and to make themselves a bit less awkward. Many streams I watched are boring as fuck now with the silence and key clicking.
That is bad for the argument though as technically it is true they were using other creators work to increase the value of their own stream free of charge.
On the flip side is well streams are not as good and engaging.
Some are purchasing the rights to music, although obviously not the top chart stuff.
Guess we'll see lots more streamers use the game music it came with instead of muting it, which leads me to wonder if even that is in question eventually which would be game suicide but we've seen some odd shit this year.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Streamers used music for atmosphere and to make themselves a bit less awkward. Many streams I watched are boring as fuck now with the silence and key clicking.
That is bad for the argument though as technically it is true they were using other creators work to increase the value of their own stream free of charge.
On the flip side is well streams are not as good and engaging.
Some are purchasing the rights to music, although obviously not the top chart stuff.
Guess we'll see lots more streamers use the game music it came with instead of muting it, which leads me to wonder if even that is in question eventually which would be game suicide but we've seen some odd shit this year.
Every streamer playing any game is using someone's else's content to make a profit, unless they were sponsored to play that game. Streamers literally do nothing other than profit off someone else's work. At best, they are entertainers and some make "content" with youtube video's... which again are mostly commentary on someone else's work. Game studios know its in their best interest to allow streamers to make money off their product, the music industry... not so much.

Cybsled

Right, the music industry is still locked mentally in the "radio" era. They've only tepidly embraced new media when pretty much forced to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Joe Rogan recently said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I wouldn't be surprised if they start to do with podcasts what they did with music across the board."

Which is, fuck the podcast owner over while only paying him in exposure.

EDIT : Oh, sorry, it was Bill Burr who said that.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Game companies also have no reason to shut down streamers. They do have an impact on sales. I've lost count of the number of games I bought because some streamer I was watching was playing it and it looked like a decent game. Hell, that is how I got into FFXIV.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Game companies also have no reason to shut down streamers. They do have an impact on sales. I've lost count of the number of games I bought because some streamer I was watching was playing it and it looked like a decent game. Hell, that is how I got into FFXIV.

I am currently addicted to Escape from Tarkov thanks to Sequisha.. so this def happens

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Game companies also have no reason to shut down streamers.
You are confusing what they should do with what they can do.

(or rather, what the overzealous copyright troll lawyer firms they subcontract the running of the automated algorithms used do)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Same could be said about music though, and yet here we are. Also iirc Nintendo does that shit already or used to? Nintendo gonna Nintendo as usual, but there's precedent, it's just at this point any big name game maker that pulls his shit from Twitch will get A LOT of bad press, especially if it's some shit like selling streaming exclusivity rights to Youtube or Mixer, and that might hurt their sales short term. Long term they might actually recover but a lot of these companies don't care that much about long term. Then again that'd also possibly mean they'll do it for the short term gains of the exclusivity.

Anyway for now it's still free to stream any game you want, just in the future it could be possible for EA or Activision or whoever to say "only these people can stream our games" or "our games can only be streamed on this platform" and stuff like that, and not much you could do about it other than bitch and boycott but if they feel they can make more money that way, they won't hesitate too long.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The music publishers don't give a two shits less about what you heard online. All that they wanna know is where you heard it, and how they can make money off of it.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The record industry is in the right in this situation. The music industry today is pretty much entirely subscription streaming services. Allowing streamers to use their music is of no benefit to the record companies since it's not going to encourage more people to sign up for Spotify. In fact it would have the opposite effect since people are less likely to subscribe to a music service when they can get their background music on Twitch. Sure there are some lesser known musicians that would benefit from the exposure on Twitch but the record companies are understandably more focused on the bigger picture. The big streamers on Twitch have plenty of money coming in that they should be able to negotiate a licensing agreement with the record companies to use their music in their streams.

Acting like the record companies should sit on their hands and say, "go ahead streamers, make millions from content that leverages our copyrighted material without giving us a cent" is probably the most mind-numbingly dumb take I'll read on the internet today.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if it can get to a point where streaming services pay the music industry from the ad revenue that the streamers generate?
Gives the option for streamers to keep playing music, knowing revenue will be lowered, or not, but doesn't threaten your channel.
YouTube already hosts every song on approved channels, I can't see why this won't happen eventually.

Cybsled

i don’t see that happening, because then game companies would want a piece and that -would- impact the bottom line. Let’s be honest, music is usually just fluff in most of these streams. You could more easily jettison music than actual core content, so I see that as more likely vs them paying a dime to the music industries.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I wonder if it can get to a point where streaming services pay the music industry from the ad revenue that the streamers generate?
Gives the option for streamers to keep playing music, knowing revenue will be lowered, or not, but doesn't threaten your channel.
YouTube already hosts every song on approved channels, I can't see why this won't happen eventually.
Doubt it considering the Twitch ad revenue is a small fraction of what the streamers are bringing in.

Oldbased

> Than U
Totally missed that Vic from SG started doing onlyfans nudes and lewds.
The progression theory wins again.

• 1Barf

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider

why pay for it when a quick google search brings you to a forum with someone reposting it all lol.

simps are weird

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

They must have really hit rock bottom. I quit watching them after their scamming ways were exposed. That was a few years ago, and they lost a ton of viewers.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The record industry is in the right in this situation. The music industry today is pretty much entirely subscription streaming services. Allowing streamers to use their music is of no benefit to the record companies since it's not going to encourage more people to sign up for Spotify. In fact it would have the opposite effect since people are less likely to subscribe to a music service when they can get their background music on Twitch. Sure there are some lesser known musicians that would benefit from the exposure on Twitch but the record companies are understandably more focused on the bigger picture. The big streamers on Twitch have plenty of money coming in that they should be able to negotiate a licensing agreement with the record companies to use their music in their streams.

Acting like the record companies should sit on their hands and say, "go ahead streamers, make millions from content that leverages our copyrighted material without giving us a cent" is probably the most mind-numbingly dumb take I'll read on the internet today.
Someone reply to me so I remember to reply to this retarded take when I get home

• 1Like