Twitch.tv

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure I agree. Would you think after 10 years any game or movie should be free domain too.?
10 years is really short compared to what we have now, but on its own? That's a long time to reap the rewards for your work. I don't see why that wouldn't also apply to movies and video games. I mean, are the people who worked on a game released in 2010 still making money from that today? Most likely most of them do not as the studio is probably dissolved and the rights have already moved on to some publisher who had nothing to do with the game to begin with. Imagine what it would mean for indie devs if a popular game from 1999 like Everque... hahah oh god I can't continue writing this.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
10 years is really short compared to what we have now, but on its own? That's a long time to reap the rewards for your work. I don't see why that wouldn't also apply to movies and video games. I mean, are the people who worked on a game released in 2010 still making money from that today? Most likely most of them do not as the studio is probably dissolved and the rights have already moved on to some publisher who had nothing to do with the game to begin with. Imagine what it would mean for indie devs if a popular game from 1999 like Everque... hahah oh god I can't continue writing this.

Yah, Pantheon might be released by now.

MMO_Wolf_McQuaid.jpg

I realize that this doesn't help my case, but still funny, if sadistic.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Rights to IP should remain with the creator, though. Look at it this way for issues with the dumb “10 year idea”

1) you write an awesome story, but no one really notices it
2) 10 years later, company makes it into a movie and takes in millions
3) creator gets jack shit because short ass copyright expired

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Rights to IP should remain with the creator, though. Look at it this way for issues with the dumb “10 year idea”

Ok, so why not double that to 20 years? That is long enough that a song or movie becomes a classic and they've made their money on the generation it was written in/about/for. If you have an awesome story and fail to make anything of it after 20 years (i'd argue 10 is more than enough) than you did not see the potential in the first place and that is on you.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fair use should expand significantly after 10 years or some reasonable amount of time even if the actual rights linger on for decades after.

Right now practical applications for anything is up in the air cause if a copyrighted ringtone goes off midstream you shouldn't have to panic to mute it or answer it quickly cause you'll risk an algorithm shutting you down.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am

What, like it is now?

Writer writes a story, goes for years that it doesn't get made into a movie... Signs away his rights to it, and then all of a sudden it gets picked up and made into a blockbuster that the studio will own for 100 years? That's only if they don't decide to renew their copyright?

Fuck that.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The issue you all have are corporations being treated like "people", which essentially makes them immortal entities, and using their armies of lawyers to squeeze money out of people. Keep in mind corporations are the ones who pushed for copyright changes to begin with, to make it harder for them to actually expire.

The rules need to change, but they also need to be changed in a way to protect the "small businesses" of the copyright realm. It's like proposing retail law changes because you hate Amazon and Walmart, but the law ends up fucking the local comic store or clothing boutique.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I've had a copyright claim (as a matter fact, a couple) before. One was for a Marvin Gaye song. The man has been dead for thirty six years. Yet, there's BMI, CHA-CHING! Ready to cash in. It's fucking disgusting. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't hate it if we kept the copyright laws the way that they are now, however, they can never renew and it automatically goes to free domain.

But, at some point it has to go into free domain. Not to keep some lazy asshole sitting on his throne over at BMI or Sony.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ok, so why not double that to 20 years?
That's what the patent system is. If it's good for invention of the practical form, why not for inventions of the cultural form?

(as an aside, "practical" should have big scary quotes - a vast majority of patents are either obvious stuff or slight rehashing of existing ones. The pharma industry is fond of it "oh, our molecule now has a new indication when we change the active/excipient ratio from 1.6% to 1.7%! New patent!")

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The algorithm already autobanned shit that it had access too. Ever play Foo Fighters too loudly on stream? That VOD is muted. Sony Entertainment was notoriously bad about it. You didn't get a DCMA they just outright muted the part of your VOD that had the song or in some cases the entire VOD if there was too high a percentage of muted songs. It's been like that for at least a year. If you read these rules they SHOULDN'T effect normal gamer streamers that much as if you're listening to shit on the radio or spotify or whatever and you can claim you "own" it (paid spotify account should be enough) then you'll be fine. It's mostly targeting the people who do music stuff explicitly like people who do remixes or covers or karaoke THOTs and shit.

I personally haven't had anything muted for a long time unless I had song request on or something and even then it was just the period of the song itself. I mostly just google EDM remixes of non copyright shit and play those 1+ hour playlists to avoid the hassle.

Not sure if they beefed this up because they were getting complaints from the companies or they just want some more definite rule sets as a TON of music people have come over to Twitch since Corona. I mean a lot of DJ's that can't do clubs and shit were just doing live sets on Twitch which makes sense, but there's got to be no way any of that won't get DCMA struck down now. The easy way out for them is to disable clips and VODs and they can do whatever the fuck they want.

What will really blow everyone’s little noodle is that video games are copyrighted too. Honk Honk, let’s all ride the clown fiesta all the way down.

Oops you were playing Warcraft too loud the music they produce is copyrighted. Oh you played GTA and got in a car with the stereo on copyrighted. Oh you were playing Mario brothers, well Mario is copyrighted shut it down. This is a move that is beyond retarded when you simply throw a blanked ban over all of it.

Maybe soon streamers can only play games that they are sponsored by, I am sure we will all look forward to that.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There's a VERY big chance that some of these changes came down because IRL THOT streamers were literally getting huge donations for songs for them to just dance on cam to. I'm sure when some one at these companies noticed multiple women making 5 figures a month with no original content they decided to start taking legal action. I'm sure as we speak the corporate for these people is trying to set up a new media outlet to make deals with these people to let them "dance" or karaoke or whatever their catalogue of songs.

Welcome to Capitalism. You think you love it, til you don't.

Because people logging into virtual e-whores strip on camera are there because of the music played, just like I am sure when people go to a strip club do it to hear “pour some sugar on me”. Some of you faggots are retards and will gobble down shit fed to you and ask for seconds everytime.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Maybe soon streamers can only play games that they are sponsored by, I am sure we will all look forward to that.
Which will be censored, because the algorithm didn't notice the special sponsorship.

Shit, remember that Sony's DMCA took down... the TLOU2 trailer on Sony's official Playstation account!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Fun fact: parts of my VOD's were muted for Call of Duty Modern Warfare for a while and I couldn't figure out why. I wasn't playing any music. Then I checked into it and it was only when I was afk. They were literally muting my the part of my VOD in Call of Duty where the CALL OF DUTY MUSIC WAS PLAYING IN GAME.

And this was 2 months ago.

Cybsled

"AI" Algorithms they use for DCMA strikes or image censorship on Instagram are dumb as fuck, both in concept and execution.