Twitch.tv

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sorry but aspiring streamer is the non black version of aspiring rapper.

Its a retarded career path and should be shunned as such.

• 7Like
  • 1SJW
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Once the generation that constantly watch streams gets older, they'll probably empathize more with older people like themselves than the new zoomer retarded shit.
Media consumption is accelerating through mediums with each generations. We had newspapers, then radio and television after that, first broadcast then cable. Along came the Internet and we had IRC and Usenet, then chatrooms and forums, then social media sites like MySpace and Facebook, now its mostly mobile with Streaming, Instagram and Snapchat. But every generation finds the things the previous did "uncool" (to use a term of my generation). Teens nowadays don't want to be seen using the same sites adults are using. Currently we have TikTok, but I can't even predict what the next generation will be using, but sure as hell it ain't Twitch.

But I can't wait for all the streamers to replace their cheap DX Racer chairs with the new upgraded model:

dxracer2.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Media consumption is accelerating through mediums with each generations. We had newspapers, then radio and television after that, first broadcast then cable. Along came the Internet and we had IRC and Usenet, then chatrooms and forums, then social media sites like MySpace and Facebook, now its mostly mobile with Streaming, Instagram and Snapchat. But every generation finds the things the previous did "uncool" (to use a term of my generation). Teens nowadays don't want to be seen using the same sites adults are using. Currently we have TikTok, but I can't even predict what the next generation will be using, but sure as hell it ain't Twitch.

But I can't wait for all the streamers to replace their cheap DX Racer chairs with the new upgraded model:
I didn't mean Twitch specifically, just streaming games and watching them. The generation that's raised now watching twitch and youtube will probably be ok with watching 60years old when they're 60 years old themselves, assuming watching streams is still a thing(probably on a different media and in a different way). It's similar to music, when you're young you don't like the older stuff(talking generally, some people do and there's outliers artists too) but as you get older you just kinda stick to the music you listened to when you were young even though the artists are old and the music genre is likely dead(rock&roll, disco etc). Again, generally, some people get into newer types of music and some artists will appeal to several generations regardless.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Pretty spot on. If you had adults in the 80s/90s if video games would be popular amongst adults in the future, they probably would have laughed because in their eyes it was a kids thing (since they didnt grow up with it).

I suspect streaming will remain a popular mode of entertainment for today's youth when they get older. It may evolve, but at it's core, it will probably be more or less the same concept.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Anyone who wants to become a "paid" streamer should be forced to mod a fairly large streamer a few years for free.
24/7 availability? Check.
Good system? 3k hand built machine 7 months ago, Check.
Love games? Check.

why are people mods? what do you get besides an icon next to your name?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mods are fan club card holders. They want to be a part of the stream, they want to feel close to a celebrity.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
there's only like 1 or 2 streamers i regularly watch whose mods arent colossal faggots

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
why are people mods? what do you get besides an icon next to your name?
A learning lesson to not be a mod and to not be a streamer.
In my case it was because I was admin of RP servers for streamers. After 2 years of that I was done.
Now the quickest way to ensure I never visit your channel again is make me a mod.

• 1Solidarity

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The generation that's raised now watching twitch and youtube will probably be ok with watching 60years old when they're 60 years old themselves, assuming watching streams is still a thing(probably on a different media and in a different way).
There are two factors at play here:

1. Age pyramid. Newspapers are dying because the people reading them are dying out year after year. Newspaper tried to pander to a newer, younger demographic, even brought in Twitter self-marketers and pander to emotions, but I think long-term that won't help them. They will be brought down by people better at this game than they are. Same with static TV and records/CDs: it is going the way of the dodo because at some point there isn't enough critical mass left that would even want to consume media that way. This is already happening with TV channels suddenly clinging to Youtube.

2. Advertiser demographics: Media specifically for the 50+ age bracket just isn't attractive, because like your example with "aging musicians and their aging audience" old people are set in their ways. They may have more income, but they aren't as willing to buy into the newest thing. But advertiser money is a large factor in deciding media content. Just look at all the Youtube adpocalypses and what happened with Facebook.

Sure, streaming won't go away, but Twitch will try to reinvent itself after their current generation of top streamers reach their expiry date when they can't credibly pander anymore to 13 year olds with mom's credit card. Those 13 year olds will grow up and suddenly realise that they can watch real naked ladies doing real lewd stuff for the same amount of money on those "other" sites. No need for gaming as a "fig leaf" anymore. And the new 13 year olds aren't interested in watching people that age-wise could be their parents.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
There are two factors at play here:

1. Age pyramid. Newspapers are dying because the people reading them are dying out year after year. Newspaper tried to pander to a newer, younger demographic, even brought in Twitter self-marketers and pander to emotions, but I think long-term that won't help them. They will be brought down by people better at this game than they are. Same with static TV and records/CDs: it is going the way of the dodo because at some point there isn't enough critical mass left that would even want to consume media that way. This is already happening with TV channels suddenly clinging to Youtube.

2. Advertiser demographics: Media specifically for the 50+ age bracket just isn't attractive, because like your example with "aging musicians and their aging audience" old people are set in their ways. They may have more income, but they aren't as willing to buy into the newest thing. But advertiser money is a large factor in deciding media content. Just look at all the Youtube adpocalypses and what happened with Facebook.

Sure, streaming won't go away, but Twitch will try to reinvent itself after their current generation of top streamers reach their expiry date when they can't credibly pander anymore to 13 year olds with mom's credit card. Those 13 year olds will grow up and suddenly realise that they can watch real naked ladies doing real lewd stuff for the same amount of money on those "other" sites. No need for gaming as a "fig leaf" anymore. And the new 13 year olds aren't interested in watching people that age-wise could be their parents.

Twitch is still in its infancy and yet to even be "mainstream". When you start getting channels with 100k+ and then 1 million+ concurrent on a daily basis, then we should be nearing a peak.

More interaction from viewers to streamers will boost the appeal and maybe even VR streaming someday.

The streamers of today will be old news but there will be new ones. We are already seeing a 2nd or 3rd crop of streamers compared to the big guns of 5+ years ago.

And I agree that age is important. I can't watch teens or even early 20s. I like the 30+ dudes. I'm still older than most but imo its kinda the sweet spot for maturity, gamesmanship and ability.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
A learning lesson to not be a mod and to not be a streamer.
In my case it was because I was admin of RP servers for streamers. After 2 years of that I was done.
Now the quickest way to ensure I never visit your channel again is make me a mod.

That is the way I think all people in authority (or rather, people in authority who aren't drunk on it, such as deer fucker) feel.

That's why I don't vote on mods for this board. The other reason is because I don't know who three quarter of them are.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Maybe instead of streaming games, they'll be like Bizi Bitiko.

Light lag will make chat interaction hard though.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Twitch is still in its infancy and yet to even be "mainstream".
Once Amazon bought Twitch for $970 million it was bound to go as "mainstream" as possible, as Twitch somehow has to bring in that value to Amazon. So they are trying to find ways to make money, while they still have to pay for bandwidth and server costs. Building a site that can handle a million streams ain't cheap.

The biggest problem Twitch has is that the youngest generations simply don't play video games on computers/consoles anymore, but tend to do everything on they smartphones. The nerd appeal being a "gamer girl" on Twitch will also probably fizzle out in 5 to 10 years, as the next cultural thing comes revolving around. The nerd stuff as seen on Big Bang Theory will be a dried up husk, the same it has been with the Yuppie "wear a suit and a tie and make lots of money" cultural cliché in the 80s.

Our whole cultural landscape is shattering and splintering into many different factions, as we are losing a lot of social cohesion with no overarching social narrative. This is excarbated by lots of companies investing in media and not only trying to sell you a product, but essentially a whole culture and lifestyle.

Also, the newest generation are brought up on internet/social media from the youngest age. I think the whole appeal of the parasocial relationships in Twitch streamers won't be there anymore, but I could be wrong about that.

Fadaar

That guy
Best thing I can hope for is more (legit) sports streaming on twitch and other platforms, as long as it doesn't require a premium sub to view. Twitch having I believe every TNF last year was fucking awesome for someone like me.

• 1Like