Twitch.tv

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Because anonymous 8-15 year olds are little edgelords that will do things specifically to get a rise out of morons that make a big deal out of It?

This is the Streisand effect in practice and, despite what Polygon and it's ilk want to believe, hardly any of the morons throwing those emotes into chat are doing it because they are true bigots.

That is what a large portion of people don't get, combined with the fact that all races listen to rap and hear people throwing out the word day and night, the word means nothing to people until it "means something".

A portion of the black community want it to retain it's power (through vilifying people that use any variation of it), the rest couldn't give less of a fuck about the word becoming a irrelevant word where, when used, it has no punch.

---

in RE the twitch part of it:

The most laughable part of the recent policy changes holding streamers accountable for people in their chat, it completely breaks the personal responsibility of the individual. In that regard though Twitch is in a rock and hard place. They can't ban people in any meaningful manner because it would likely break the law and they shouldn't ban their creators because they are their revenue generators.

There are a lot of assumptions that twitch is making lately with their new TOS:

1. Viewers care enough about their streamer to follow them to another location -- Ban Streamer, all the problem children go away​

This is pretty damn stupid, it is observable that when they ban a streamer from twitch and that person hops to another service they pull in a minuscule amount of their original viewers. The intended target isn't being punished (The racist viewer) because they will switch from watching the banned person to another person on twitch, their "toxicity" will remain on the platform and will spread to more people.

2. People care enough about their screen-name that they will attempt all things to not get banned. -- Ban the individual and they will never be back​
When the only thing that people have tied to their screen-name is a month to month subscription to a particular streamer, there is nearly 0 incentive for a person to not behave like they are 100% anonymous. If they are banned they will make another account with a fake email and troll some more. If they are super trolly, they will make a ton of accounts and troll a ton and there is almost 0 recourse for them.

UNLESS, can someone tell me about this hypothetical:

If I am banned on twitch and I have games on my twitch account purchased THROUGH their client and saved on their client...can I still access those games if I am banned on the twitch platform?

---

By forcing the bar on acceptable behaviour lower and lower, they are going to get rid of community builders that are good people but also a bit abrasive. They will also start killing off their content creators because of their chat's behaviour.

Take ninjas comment, that COULD BE grounds for a perma suspension. I don't know, off hand, of anyone getting a perma for singing rap songs with the word "Wakandan" in it though. I severly doubt that if there is a precident for a perma for singing that Ninja will be in the running for a Perma based simply on his channel size. Which just furthers all of this being a huge joke because it brings up a concept that racism is okay...IF you make a LOT of money for people.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Like many celebrities, Youtube/Twitch celebs have their own share of crazed fans. Here is one from last month where the guy wanted to kill her boyfriend because he was obsessed with her. Dodger on one of her streams also briefly commented on this and stated they've got ongoing lists with the police of people that are potential dangers.

'Disturbed' fan broke into YouTube star's home in plot to kill boyfriend, police say
The first comment on that story though... that chick's Instagram is pure whore. There's no way she isn't getting dicked hard on the side.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Because anonymous 8-15 year olds are little edgelords that will do things specifically to get a rise out of morons that make a big deal out of It?
Yes, that's why. I don' think there's a plague of KKK members infesting Twitch, but there are clearly a lot of immature assholes who think they're being funny when all they're doing is making things worse for everyone else.

A Twitch stream isn't your buddy's basement where you can giggle and snicker at your stupid faux-racist humor. It's a public space, and people need to take responsibility for the way they act. It is NOT unreasonable to expect people to carry themselves with a bit of civility and common decency. The problem isn't that people get upset at edgelords, it's that assholes think it's not a big deal when they poison public spaces with their shitty behavior.

• 1SJW

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
Twitch laid off more than 25 people from the Twitch Studios and Community/Marketing teams yesterday, including several high-profile employees who have been with the company since Twitch began, sources said. People were told that Twitch had 'overhired', and this was to re-adjust.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Twitch laid off more than 25 people from the Twitch Studios and Community/Marketing teams yesterday, including several high-profile employees who have been with the company since Twitch began, sources said. People were told that Twitch had 'overhired', and this was to re-adjust.

New SVP says it all. Typical executive stuff.

1) Moves into role
2) Decides to make their mark and show they can improve the profitability. Easiest way is to cut high wage earners and replace them with low wage shleps
3) Profits have small spike
4) Everything falls to shit because the people they cut were helping hold the thing together
5) Executive moves on to the new green pasture

• 1Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

They could go the MTV route...MTV would manufacture celebrity, then cut them out after a couple years and manufacture new celebrity. Disney does something similar. Basically the message is "We are the power here, we MADE you, you didn't make us"

• 1Like

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
jesus christ ninja and this game are insane, i just watched ninja's team-mate surf on a guided rocket to drop in and kill the last man standing

dat feeling when you realize you will never, ever be good as this guy in FPS'

He just tweeted a clip where he uses the guided rocket to give himself a rocket ride into boogie bomb into kill for the win...

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I remember when pereira came to twitch, i was actually pretty excited because i always enjoyed him on G4/techtv. Jesus christ did it ever go downhill real fast though, within like 3 months it became unwatchable. I haven't even looked into whatever the fuck they were doing lately.

What a moron lol

• 1Worf

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
. It's a public space, and people need to take responsibility for the way they act. It is NOT unreasonable to expect people to carry themselves with a bit of civility and common decency. The problem isn't that people get upset at edgelords, it's that assholes think it's not a big deal when they poison public spaces with their shitty behavior.

Hi Tanoomba Tanoomba , please read this and apply it to yourself.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Jim Lee is doing sketches right now

That dude is a badass in drawing. Ive been watching him since the Pantheon stream and its crazy how quick he can just whip up a drawing of some superhero, all inked and shit.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That ultra cringe amazon coins ad with Eloise and the other streamers is making it really hard for me to open any stream these days. Who thought this was okay?

• 1Worf

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That ultra cringe amazon coins ad with Eloise and the other streamers is making it really hard for me to open any stream these days. Who thought this was okay?
Get ublock origin plugin/extension for your browser and never see another ad on twitch again, or anywhere for that matter.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users