Twitch.tv

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let people do something until they take it for granted, then take it away while asking for money to bring it back.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lip syncing and "pretending to sing" a song is also not allowed? That part is just flat out insane to me.

Xevy

Log Wizard
There's a VERY big chance that some of these changes came down because IRL THOT streamers were literally getting huge donations for songs for them to just dance on cam to. I'm sure when some one at these companies noticed multiple women making 5 figures a month with no original content they decided to start taking legal action. I'm sure as we speak the corporate for these people is trying to set up a new media outlet to make deals with these people to let them "dance" or karaoke or whatever their catalogue of songs.

Welcome to Capitalism. You think you love it, til you don't.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know Lurn said she had to take down something like 50k clips? Pretty nuts. I get what you're saying, though, Xevy about streamers getting donations for song requests.

Cybsled

Ya, Lurn plays a lot of music on her stream while playing. I guess VODs will auto-mute copyrighted stuff, but clips don't, so she had to nuke a bunch of clips as a result to avoid further DCMA strikes.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I wish I could find a clear example but it's been over a year but I remember seeing a vod get muted for this and the best part was the streamer mixed and composed it himself. It's like someone can report it and they just jump on it to avoid the risk.

The shit gets stupid. Even Metallica learned from napster and put their shit out on spotify day one on the latest album, and all the music videos on youtube. Record labels are the ones that get greedy more than bands ever could and don't see that exposure = advertising

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just think you can live with your very own thot.

Capture.JPG

giphy.gif

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Her tweet sounds like she isn't gonna pay for shit.
I guess she moves a lot because she's quickly hitting the point where she's asked to cough up money in every new arrangement and just doesn't want to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Public ask suggests they have no close friends or acquaintances left to ask. Usually streamers like to room with other streamers or people in the industry

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Twitch is getting absolutely assfucked by DMCAs now. Basically every stream has to purge every clip in their archive or risk eating takedowns for any music that was running in them at the time.

Gonna get real boring on streams without any kind of music to fill the gaps.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Twitch is getting absolutely assfucked by DMCAs now. Basically every stream has to purge every clip in their archive or risk eating takedowns for any music that was running in them at the time.

Gonna get real boring on streams without any kind of music to fill the gaps.
Can they play radio stations? Supermarkets won a case a few years ago where they were allowed to again broadcast radio over their PA systems after being sued by the music companies.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can they play radio stations? Supermarkets won a case a few years ago where they were allowed to again broadcast radio over their PA systems after being sued by the music companies.

Different situations entirely unfortunately. The way the internet works/exists right now is content platforms, forums/reddit/youtube/twitch/whoever, have a set of safe harbor protections that keep them from getting instantly sued in to oblivion for hosting content that infringes on someones copyright due to the nature of user generated and uploaded content.

The caveat to the safe harbor stuff is that they are required to comply with any and all DMCA taketown notices against content on their site - failure to do so can result in the loss of their existing protections. Basically that means they will fully comply with any received notice and it'll be up to the individual user (streamer in this case) to attempt to issue a counter-claim to get their content reinstated. That will basically never happen though, because if someone counter-claims that means the initial DMCA issuer (the rights holder) is then in a position where in order to protect their claim they then issue suit directly against the user, rather than the platform, meaning it would be a situation of a random steamer vs corporate lawyer army, which is no beuno.

spronk

FPS noob
i don't really understand, i thought "transformative use" was fair game under copyright so why isn't dancing like a thot considered transformative? There are bazillion youtube videos where hot bitches dance to electronic music and they all have hundreds of millions of views

for example this is 2 years old and has 90m views. By industry metrics, thats somewhere around $500k in ad revenue for the youtube streamer

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You could argue fair use or transformative work, but that would only come in to play after an initial DMCA takedown has been filed, and a counter-claim then filed in response.

It's possible, maybe even likely, that either of those has the potentially of being valid and winning the counter-claim, but even getting to that point as an individual vs a corporate law division is just not realistic due to the cost/time investment.

None of that of course accounts for what Twitch is going to do in this situation either. Are they or will they start issuing warnings/bans to streamers for getting too many DMCAs? What happens if an algo crunches through all 20k clips some streamer has saved and fires off 500 DMCAs against them in a day? Streamers are going to be wise to just purge everything and stay away from music entirely because the risk is too great to their livelihood until Twitch comes up with some kind of official stance/response (lol like that's happening this year).

Edit: it's entirely likely, or even probable, that videos like the above have been DMCA'd countless times, and they may have even won counter-claims. Youtube has a lot of automated systems in place for this already and has for years, while Twitch has been basically burying their head in the sand.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
this is 1000 percent because bezos pissed some powerful people off, and i'd bet it's with streaming content deals on amazon

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wonder if it has to do with no concerts happening and the music industry is grapsing at straws

• 1Like