Twitch.tv

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I updated UBO dev build to v1.30.9b2 and i think it blocked hafu's manually triggered one between Among Us games (based on chat complaints of other people getting them)

edit: 2 ads attempted to play about 35 minutes into stream.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Why does that bother you? They aren't telling you to vote for Biden.

would it bother you if google and/or facebook used analytics to send millions of get out the vote messages through their multitude of social media and customer facing platforms to likely democratic voters in swing districts, but not to likely republican voters? It's not illegal and it's effective. I'd guess it wouldn't bother you at all since they never said "vote for biden".

It doesn't bother you because I don't think you realize that type of big tech media manipulation can pick political winners. That's too much power.

edit: I edited out the name calling - there was no need and new and improved kiroy is trying to be nice online

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
My dude, I've been using ublock for years...

Watching asmongold, he's been asking his chat questions of ads and his stream getting hit with politics ads now including trump ones while they had banned his channel for racism? lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Untitled.jpg

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Streamers asking their chat about ads and then talking shit about said ads/product is going to become a problem for twitch pretty quick like

Well people cut out of dogshit like cable TV because of ads, they aren't going to be able to copy the TV model and keep people around.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
finding myself going back to watch gaming vids on youtube, twitch just losing more and more appeal.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
finding myself going back to watch gaming vids on youtube, twitch just losing more and more appeal.
I actually pay for Turbo so I don't have to fuck with all the ad stuff, because I tend to watch on my phone or tablet a lot at work, and I've been thinking about youtube more often as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Can you imagine paying the, undoubtedly enormous, salaries of dozens of executives and other high level managers at Twitch whose groundbreaking idea to make money off your completely digital product with literally no viable competitors that only requires that the target audience not close their browser window is "lol, randomly take over the entire screen for 30 to 120 seconds". Oh, and your target audience also has violently short attention spans and a device in their pocket that can connect to the entire collection of human knowledge to find something else to do. I would have fired every fucking one of them the second they proposed a traditional, ad-based advertising model.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Can you imagine paying the, undoubtedly enormous, salaries of dozens of executives and other high level managers at Twitch whose groundbreaking idea to make money off your completely digital product with literally no viable competitors that only requires that the target audience not close their browser window is "lol, randomly take over the entire screen for 30 to 120 seconds". Oh, and your target audience also has violently short attention spans and a device in their pocket that can connect to the entire collection of human knowledge to find something else to do. I would have fired every fucking one of them the second they proposed a traditional, ad-based advertising model.

now that they're owned by amazon they're just trying to squeeze the golden goose - all they ever needed to do was focus on growing their overall audience to make money - let streamers manage the traditional ads as they see fit, and try to grow your the subscriber base by supporting/assisting streamers while pushing people towards using bits vs outside donation methods. This is what they were doing for a long time and it was working fine, but now i'm sure they have quarterly revenue growth targets they have to hit for those big bonuses.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
now that they're owned by amazon they're just trying to squeeze the golden goose - all they ever needed to do was focus on growing their overall audience to make money - let streamers manage the traditional ads as they see fit, and try to grow your the subscriber base by supporting/assisting streamers while pushing people towards using bits vs outside donation methods. This is what they were doing for a long time and it was working fine, but now i'm sure they have quarterly revenue growth targets they have to hit for those big bonuses.

I am convinced that it is because they will not hire conservative types to grow their businesses and the liberals that ar eht idea people just cannot help fucking it up when it comes to monetization.

How hard would it be to partner with sports teams or colleges and pick up some of the dirt cheap tier 3 sports licensing packages? Then you have games with way limited advertisements and pick up a whole new demographic of subs that will probably pay extra for no ads.

Why not try to get a streamer show that is Big Brother-esque but with video games as the challenges? You can let subs only in for the multiplayer games or let subs be the ones voting?

How about commissioning artist to make a themed set of paintings/music/whatever and then holding virtual galleries or auctions?

That is me thinking while I type and these morons cannot think of anything beyond ads. Truly pathetic.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They already have the advertising systems in-place from Amazon's other products. It's just easier to merge Twitch into those systems.

Amazon probably let Twitch have a lot of leeway when it came to monetizing the platform, and finally just saw that it wasn't working and cracked down and pulled out big-daddy advertising's dick onto the table.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This ad shit is getting out of control. I was wondering why alot of streamers had low viewer counts recently, this pretty much sums it up.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've given up fighting with them about it, they can fuck right off. It was neat for awhile but watching streamers that is not for a tournament or something just doesn't appeal any more. I do wonder if there is something more about this than just the ads and a push for something else. The social medias are all going to be having some serious legal shit coming there way in the not to far future is my guess and squeezing that lemon as tight as possible now is the thing to do