Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished it on the weekend,

Clearly the best piece of visual gaming on a console we have ever seen, coupled that with a well done story and great acting. I wish they had put that much effort into the game play, near the end pushing forward and hitting X was getting a bit old.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Finished it on the weekend,

Clearly the best piece of visual gaming on a console we have ever seen, coupled that with a well done story and great acting. I wish they had put that much effort into the game play, near the end pushing forward and hitting X was getting a bit old.
Just finished it up myself. One of the best games I have ever played and definitely game of the year in my book. It frankly doesn't get any better than this as far as I am concerned when it comes to acting, story, writing, and the banter between characters.

I wish we could have more of these types of games. Going to try out multiplayer now and see what that's like, but I may just replay through this which is something I never do.

spronk

FPS noob
Finished the game today, had to change the difficulty from crushing to one step below in chapter 18 after wiping for like 3 hours straight, just got too frustrating especially since I came into that fight with 1 grenade and a shitty AR. I'd recommend anyone not a pro-gamer to play at just normal difficulty, you then unlock the "cheat" that lets you have infinite ammo which imo is needed for parts of 18 and 20 for most people, if you wanna do it in crushing and get the platinum.

Overall 85/100 for me, I thought uncharted 3 was a better game honestly. UC4 had some poor mechanics gun wise, and while I really, really enjoyed 1/2 the story the second half felt a lot weaker and the last 10% was not good at all imo. The epilogue felt super indulgent and a "look at us, we are artists!!" kind of thing. I was very disappointed by

the last boss fight. what a stupid, shitty fight. I guess Uncharted has always had terrible boss fights so no big surprise.

Really disappointed though in the complete lack of paranormal / crazy shit. I really liked the zombies in UC1 and thought the stuff in UC2 wasn't bad, really disappointed that UC4 was just a straight treasure hunt. I kept expecting a buildup like Avery recruited demons or discovered a vampire on the Moghul ship or something crazy and kooky, but nope he was just batshit insane. I also didn't really understand why Sam and Victor didn't go back and recover some of that loot... I assume they did?

Anyways gonna go back and work on getting everything for the platinum, the speed run and 70% accuracy trophies kinda suck since it basically means a complete re-run of the game in easy mode. Oh well, still a great game but I think it could have been better, just a tiny bit. I'd rank GTA5 and TLOU as better than this, easy.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Finished the game today, had to change the difficulty from crushing to one step below in chapter 18 after wiping for like 3 hours straight, just got too frustrating especially since I came into that fight with 1 grenade and a shitty AR. I'd recommend anyone not a pro-gamer to play at just normal difficulty, you then unlock the "cheat" that lets you have infinite ammo which imo is needed for parts of 18 and 20 for most people, if you wanna do it in crushing and get the platinum.

Overall 85/100 for me, I thought uncharted 3 was a better game honestly. UC4 had some poor mechanics gun wise, and while I really, really enjoyed 1/2 the story the second half felt a lot weaker and the last 10% was not good at all imo. The epilogue felt super indulgent and a "look at us, we are artists!!" kind of thing. I was very disappointed by

the last boss fight. what a stupid, shitty fight. I guess Uncharted has always had terrible boss fights so no big surprise.

Really disappointed though in the complete lack of paranormal / crazy shit. I really liked the zombies in UC1 and thought the stuff in UC2 wasn't bad, really disappointed that UC4 was just a straight treasure hunt. I kept expecting a buildup like Avery recruited demons or discovered a vampire on the Moghul ship or something crazy and kooky, but nope he was just batshit insane. I also didn't really understand why Sam and Victor didn't go back and recover some of that loot... I assume they did?

Anyways gonna go back and work on getting everything for the platinum, the speed run and 70% accuracy trophies kinda suck since it basically means a complete re-run of the game in easy mode. Oh well, still a great game but I think it could have been better, just a tiny bit. I'd rank GTA5 and TLOU as better than this, easy.
Is that the:

Hanging on the elevator one? I tried the one in Avery's Mansion today for almost 3 hours. Where you try to open the door but are immediately ambushed by about 100 guys and a Heavy. Not seeing any way to beat this with 14 handgun bullets, 12 rifle shots, and one grenade.

The only way I beat that elevator bullshit was by bugging it out and racing to the top of the pillar to trigger the checkpoint.

spronk

FPS noob
nope i got stuck same spot as you, for crushing you pretty much need a grenade launcher and a few grenades and a lot of luck. like you, after 3-4 hours i just said fuck it and completed the game on hard, but after that you can enable infinite ammo which I think will make that part easy

there is also apparently some sort of cheese where you can get to the top area where no enemies can come near you but i didn't try that

the wiki entry on Libertalia was interesting to read
Libertatia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did the Utopian Pirate Nation of Libertatia Ever Really Exist? | Atlas Obscura

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just killed the armored dude with my grenades, took his minigun, and shredded the rest of them. As long as you kill the 3(?) snipers first, you shouldn't get killed. Starting the fight with only one grenade would suck though, I think it took three to remove his helmet.

But yeah, if you're only doing it for the trophy, then just come back later with the grenade launcher, magnum pistol, bullet time, and infinite ammo.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I always thought the supernatural stuff ruined the story for me. They kind of saved it a bit in UC3 by making it a drug fuelled hallucination, but it always felt out of place to me. It was a relief that they left it out of part 4

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I also didn't really understand why Sam and Victor didn't go back and recover some of that loot... I assume they did?
You must not have caught on to it. They did go back and get the treasure. Remember at the end before the epilogue started when Nathan's boss said, "I am out of here. I found a buyer - and I am going to go fishing" or something to that effect... Then Elena shows up and it turns out she is the buyer of the company. Nathan wants to know how she did it, and she shows him a gold coin from the Avery treasure... Nathan says, "Sam?" and she nods and tells Nathan that they now have enough to buy the company and some higher end camera equipment so she can be a journalist again and the two can go on more adventures together. It also afforded them the luxury of buying the small island they now live on with their daughter from the Epilogue.

Not sure how you didn't see that or maybe I got a different ending?

Also, in the epilogue, you may want to continue looking for all the pictures.
smile.png
There is a major easter egg.

Vorph

I think you're reading into the coin thing too much. Sam stuffed a bunch of coins in his pocket while they were escaping from the ship, and then he put some of them in Elena's jacket. There's a big 'wall of fame' in their second cottage that shows a bunch of their successful/legal treasure hunts after buying the business and those seem to be how they retired on an island. I didn't see any magazine cover/article talking about Avery though, which I do agree with spronk is odd since it couldn't be that hard to get at the treasure even after the cave-in. Seems like they did ok without it anyway I guess.

As for the easter egg, I assume you mean the TLoU thing? There's a Dark Horse Comics tag at the bottom though, so it seems like just a sequel to the comic mini-series for now.

Re: the supernatural stuff, I'm with Jive Turkey on this one. Getting rid of that entirely was one of the best things about UC4 imo.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just killed the armored dude with my grenades, took his minigun, and shredded the rest of them. As long as you kill the 3(?) snipers first, you shouldn't get killed. Starting the fight with only one grenade would suck though, I think it took three to remove his helmet.

But yeah, if you're only doing it for the trophy, then just come back later with the grenade launcher, magnum pistol, bullet time, and infinite ammo.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was being really stubborn having reached Chapter 18 and not wanting to change the difficulty. Was pretty drastic the difference falling back to hard, almost one shot the rest of the game.

Spent some time going back and picking up missing collectibles, think I was at 70+ treasures, only missed 2 optional conversations, but quite a few journal entries. Not sure I'll do the speed run trophy though, eh we'll see.

spronk

FPS noob
Sic Parvis Magna!

l3NyWQI.jpg

Spent some time going back and picking up missing collectibles, think I was at 70+ treasures, only missed 2 optional conversations, but quite a few journal entries. Not sure I'll do the speed run trophy though, eh we'll see.
There is a exploit/bug to let you get speedrunner and 70% accuracy trophy without having to replay the game, thats what I did to get the platinum. The rest of the trophies are pretty easy to get just by replaying encounters with cheat modes activated, especially infinite ammo and bullet time. If you have any problems following this guide let me know, its pretty hard to follow/understand some of the steps and it took me a bit of trial and error. Only works if you have the physical disc edition though, digital users can't roll back to 1.0 of the game.
Crushing Trophy Exploit - PlaystationTrophies.org

re: the ending/story
I totally get why many/most people prefer the realism version of UC4 vs earlier games, but I like a little paranormal in my adventure games. Overboard its terrible, but in tiny amounts I think it can really make a great story amazing. Think back to Indiana Jones 1 & 3, the reveal of the ark being real or Indy coming upon a 600 year old knight was fantastic, and the bonus of realizing that these extraordinary things come with a heavy, heavy price.

I also read that Sam was originally designed as the ultimate bad guy, and only late in the design process was he changed to be a good guy and the brother. Kinda shows, he always comes off as a bit of a slimeball. I also didn't like how his retcon insertion changes the Sully/Nate dynamic from UC3, since it's implied in UC3 that Sully "adopts" Drake in his teens and they adventure together for a number of years, but UC4 changes a lot of that and throws off that UC3 chapter. Plus the whole mom thing was just weird / kooky, I don't know why they had to put in the old lady as a step between the Drake's and their mom?

Anyways, awesome game and I do plan on replaying the whole thing once the story DLC is out in the fall, think it could have been a tad better but still great. I really, really want to rewatch Black Sails now and will play Assassins Creed Rogue to get some more pirate time in.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sic Parvis Magna!

l3NyWQI.jpg

There is a exploit/bug to let you get speedrunner and 70% accuracy trophy without having to replay the game, thats what I did to get the platinum. The rest of the trophies are pretty easy to get just by replaying encounters with cheat modes activated, especially infinite ammo and bullet time. If you have any problems following this guide let me know, its pretty hard to follow/understand some of the steps and it took me a bit of trial and error. Only works if you have the physical disc edition though, digital users can't roll back to 1.0 of the game.
Crushing Trophy Exploit - PlaystationTrophies.org

re: the ending/story
I totally get why many/most people prefer the realism version of UC4 vs earlier games, but I like a little paranormal in my adventure games. Overboard its terrible, but in tiny amounts I think it can really make a great story amazing. Think back to Indiana Jones 1 & 3, the reveal of the ark being real or Indy coming upon a 600 year old knight was fantastic, and the bonus of realizing that these extraordinary things come with a heavy, heavy price.

I also read that Sam was originally designed as the ultimate bad guy, and only late in the design process was he changed to be a good guy and the brother. Kinda shows, he always comes off as a bit of a slimeball. I also didn't like how his retcon insertion changes the Sully/Nate dynamic from UC3, since it's implied in UC3 that Sully "adopts" Drake in his teens and they adventure together for a number of years, but UC4 changes a lot of that and throws off that UC3 chapter. Plus the whole mom thing was just weird / kooky, I don't know why they had to put in the old lady as a step between the Drake's and their mom?

Anyways, awesome game and I do plan on replaying the whole thing once the story DLC is out in the fall, think it could have been a tad better but still great. I really, really want to rewatch Black Sails now and will play Assassins Creed Rogue to get some more pirate time in.
I never played Rogue. Any good? Heard it was the same as Black Flag.

Also, Vorph, I can see where you are coming from now. You are right I think I read too much into it.

Those coins must be worth a heck of a lot though
smile.png

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Enjoyed the hell out of this game. The gameplay isn't exactly innovative, but the environments and story kept me engrossed. I'm not sure how you can criticize Uncharted 4's gameplay and praise TLOU's in the same breath. TLOU has some of the worst AI of all time and nearly every encounter requires the same approach.

My only gripe is the meaningless collectibles required for certain trophies. I hate denying my inner perfectionist, but I'm not gonna search every nook and cranny for those twinkling objects. I did quite a bit of exploring and still missed half of them. At least place the hidden treasures in interesting locations.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Enjoyed the hell out of this game. The gameplay isn't exactly innovative, but the environments and story kept me engrossed. I'm not sure how you can criticize Uncharted 4's gameplay and praise TLOU's in the same breath. TLOU has some of the worst AI of all time and nearly every encounter requires the same approach.

My only gripe is the meaningless collectibles required for certain trophies. I hate denying my inner perfectionist, but I'm not gonna search every nook and cranny for those twinkling objects. I did quite a bit of exploring and still missed half of them. At least place the hidden treasures in interesting locations.
It's not necessarily the mechanics of combat in TLoU, it's the overall encounter experience. You are severely limited on ammo and expendables (unless you play on easier difficulties) and that completely changed how you had to play the game. When you are progressing you had to think on whether it was even worth killing some enemies or if it was better to just try to sneak by. In UC4 that was never the case, and actually it was almost always easier to start shooting as soon as enemies showed up.

And how was the AI any worse than UC4? It's basically the same AI. I guess infected AI is different, but it's supposed to be. The hunters didn't really behave differently. But either way I don't think the combat in TLoU is really the main selling point anyways. It's always been characters, plot, and progression.

spronk

FPS noob
I'd put the combat functional in all their games, not really best in class but if you are willing to adapt to its minor quirks, and they are really minor - grenade spam, you rarely actually move around corners the way you WANT to, finding exploit spots where enemies can't reach you - it shouldn't be a huge deal for most people. I guess if you only like a certain type of combat system (dark souls, witcher, MMOs) and are unwilling to try anything else than that might be a problem

anyways here is the original UC4 teaser from 3 years ago, you can see how different sam was supposed to be back then. I hope there is some post mortem at some point detailing why they so drastically altered direction. I kinda like this version below better.

Vorph

Yeah, that was Amy Hennig's version, which Druckmann & co. completely rewrote. I doubt we'll ever get any kind of post-mortem there because they'd have to go into detail about exactly why Hennig left/got forced out/was fired/was taken by the pod people and put to work at EA/<insert other rumor here> and that's probably never going to happen.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that was Amy Hennig's version, which Druckmann & co. completely rewrote. I doubt we'll ever get any kind of post-mortem there because they'd have to go into detail about exactly why Hennig left/got forced out/was fired/was taken by the pod people and put to work at EA/<insert other rumor here> and that's probably never going to happen.
I am actually very happy they rewrote it. Sam and Nathan's relationship, Banter, and writing and emotional tie in's were fantastic in how it played out in the game. Especially the banter. I felt a strong bond between the two, and I severely doubt I would have liked Sam being an Antagonist. There was just too much hardship for them both in the early stages of their life to not have that bond regardless of what would have happened down the road.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I am actually very happy they rewrote it. Sam and Nathan's relationship, Banter, and writing and emotional tie in's were fantastic in how it played out in the game. Especially the banter. I felt a strong bond between the two, and I severely doubt I would have liked Sam being an Antagonist. There was just too much hardship for them both in the early stages of their life to not have that bond regardless of what would have happened down the road.
Yep. I mean, who knows how the original story would've played out, but the way he ended up seems like more of an opportunity for a nuanced character than an angry brother out for revenge

spronk

FPS noob
i laughed when i read a theory that the voice from the 3 year old trailer isn't evil sam, but instead its Jeff. Jeff, the cameraman of Elena's who died in uncharted 2. You left him behind, Drake!

The graphics in this game are insane, some photos from the gaf photo thread (spoilered in case you haven't played yet)

1463806299-uncharted-tm-4-a-thief-s-end-20160520145117.png

uncharted_4__a_thiefs_end_20160519190650_by_confidence_man-da39o87.png

uncharted_4__a_thiefs_end_20160518225803_by_confidence_man-da39o38.png

uncharted4_athiefsendr6ykk.png

rsNEMk9.png

QMYIpgs.png

7niXgV2.png

1463503896-uncharted-tm-4-a-thief-s-end-20160517174942.png