Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They're pretty much contained stories. You'll miss some of the nostalgia pieces dropped in to the game, direct references and background details, and some of the character dialogue references past interactions. But by and large it is a new adventure with enough new plot awesomeness, of nothing maybe it'd further motivate you to play the others.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah the plot is self contained, but you won't really get the history of the characters without having played the first one at least

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd play them in order starting with the remastered 1-3. You don't lose much by waiting on a single player game and the others are worth playing.

spronk

FPS noob
damn I spent 6 hours today on JUST chapter 8, trying to get that trophy where you do the middle part of it in 100% stealth. just couldn't get it done in crushing mode, always got spotted near the end or right on the final gate. finally just ended up slaughtering everyone and will redo the chapter for the trophy in easy after. Still had a lot of fun though, and got a few other trophies since I had to do a lot of cliff and melee kills.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Damn, thanks for typing that all out, Ut. Will +1 when not on phone. Still undecided, but it's interesting that your reaction to UC2 is quite similar to mine, yet UC4 won you over.
No problem buddy. Yeah UC4 has so much effort poured into it it makes the other 3 look shitty. Don't get me wrong, 2 was good, but UC4 is hands down one of the best games I have ever played, and I am putting it above TLOU. TLOU a slight second at this point.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
damn I spent 6 hours today on JUST chapter 8, trying to get that trophy where you do the middle part of it in 100% stealth. just couldn't get it done in crushing mode, always got spotted near the end or right on the final gate. finally just ended up slaughtering everyone and will redo the chapter for the trophy in easy after. Still had a lot of fun though, and got a few other trophies since I had to do a lot of cliff and melee kills.
How far are you from a chapter perspective? Have you hit the jeep area yet? I was laughing so hard at the banter every 1 minute I damn near shat myself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was watching my wife play last night a bit and it was like watching two old people fuck. She was on the jeep level in the canyon area and she kept changing perspective instead of turning. God she sucks.

Somehow she is up to chapter 13 on easy.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
No problem buddy. Yeah UC4 has so much effort poured into it it makes the other 3 look shitty. Don't get me wrong, 2 was good, but UC4 is hands down one of the best games I have ever played, and I am putting it above TLOU. TLOU a slight second at this point.
I still think TLoU is better, The plot is just so intense. Despite their gameplay similarities they are hard to compare though. The pace, story and characters are just so different

I really liked the character and gear progression in TLoU. Nate is no stronger or more capable at the end of the game vs the beginning where as Joel is significantly more powerful

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
So, I played UC2 on PS3 and thought it was a decent enough game, but quite honestly, I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was good, don't get me wrong, but there was something missing. I couldn't finish UC3 - it felt like a slog. I tried to play the original UC, and turned that off as well. I have not purchased the PS4 editions. So out of all of that in the series, I finished 2, couldn't get into 3, and didn't like 1. I also loved the last of us.

Now for this game, and I am really trying to place my finger on it because I am still trying to come to grips with what it is. Or a combination of things.

1) The settings and set pieces are bar none gorgeous to look at. Especially on a big screen.

2) The story, the pacing, the atmosphere, and MOST especially, the in-character bantering is just absolutely, bar none, the best I have ever experienced in any video game. There have been more than a handful of times I am outright laughing at the screen. So many times actually in the banter. The expressions that go along on their faces in cut scenes, to the dialogue, to the voice acting... And how engaging the story is. I feel emotionally connected and that NEVER happens to me in video games, although I hear about it a lot from marketing brochures - it never comes to fruition. This time? I have felt anger, love, remorse, sadness, hilariously laughing, it's crazy. I would get into specifics but I do not want to spoil it for anyone.

3) The gameplay and parkour moves a lot faster than in previous games. The shooting mechanics are righter and more responsive. The puzzles are very fun so far. And honestly, just when I get sick of shooting, I enter a door and find a puzzle or I am jumping around navigating. It seems whenever I am about to get sick of a certain play style, the game is reading my mind and has me do something else.

My advice is to buy it if you like what you see above. It's at least worth a rental. But be prepared to rent for 4-5 days. It's along game so far. I have sunk in 10 hours, on casual mode, and I am not even half way through the game yet. Last night I didn't want it to end, like the night before. And time FLIES by when playing.
That's really interesting. For me, UC2 was the one that got me hooked. From the opening scene where you are climbing up the train dangling from the edge of the cliff, to the ending with Elena which I felt was spot-on, it's the game that got me into the UC series to begin with. I went back after and bought UC1, which was good for filling in the back story with characters like Sully. UC3 was good, not great for me. Felt like a regurgitation of UC2, just more of everything. The most memorable part for me was playing as a young Nathan, breaking into the museum, etc.

I felt the in-character banter in UC2 was some of the best, definitely in this game it's awesome as well. I would say what stands out the most in this game is the graphics. Such a HUGE step up from the previous games, and as far as PS4 games go it's one of the best looking if not the best.

The story in UC4 so far is really interesting, I like the pirate history. So far I am at around chapter 12.

With all the being said, I would still hold TLOU in the highest regard. Everything about that game, from the story to the gameplay to the dialogue, was just perfection for me. Talk about hitting you in the feels. For me, that game is Naughty Dog's high water mark, we'll see if I feel the same way once I'm done with UC4.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Is being able to run away when spotted to reset Sam Fisher mode a new thing? More snappy necks for me.

I discovered it after I snuck behind a guy and threw dynamite at him. I've been playing a LOT of Souls.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
More random thoughts:

Game starts pretty slow if you are a UC vet but its picking up nicely. Actually, it's refreshing to be able to plow through these basic enemies and not deal with waves of shield fucks ("find the grenades") or walking tanks. And of course waves that suddenly flank you. I'm sure all of that that is coming. Everything about combat seems improved. Of course they've also upped the amount of destructible cover and removed grenade toss-back.

And stop fucking up my headshots by making the guy flinch, Sam. That's Elena level shit. I was so happy to see him taking people out from stealth. But I think they pretty much have to walk over him to trigger it. Or maybe marking helps, I dunno. Companion AI has definitely stepped up.

"Bad dates. Heh!" - best (and most on the nose) reference yet?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just finished it, only one thing really bothered me with the ending.

Ok, so you just bought a salvage company. You know where 100s of millions of dollars in gold is located sunken in a cave. Why the fuck is that not the first place you go? Seriously, screw the Malaysia job and go get the pirate treasure.

I would give it a 9.5/10. Still too much filler climbing and crate pushing

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Okay the last part of the Sam chase was a little absurd on Crushing. Basically instant death the second you latch on to the truck. Finally made it through though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I used to think QTEs were bad, until I got to the final "fight" on crushing. QTEs ain't got nothing on this cheap-ass bullshit.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
i just finished chapter 11. This game just keeps getting better and better and it never stops getting better. In the year of our lord this is the best game I have ever played.

spronk

FPS noob
Just finished chapter 11 too, pretty intense on crushing. Story really is building up. I feel exhausted after a single chapter.

Not loving the multiplayer really so far, I really have a tough time killing people quick enough before someone flanks and backstabs me. While its nice getting characters and skins through earned currency, it feels like there may be too much locked away behind microtransactions. Oh well, I guess skins aren't really that important anyways but I want to play as Chloe
frown.png

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just finished it.

Understand why it looks so good. In the credits, you can see most areas of the development have a few people attached to them. Then when it lists Environment Artists, there are two full pages of names. Money well spent.

My biased score since I love this series, 10/10. Best game in the series, best game of this generation and easily on the top 5 games of all time for me too.

What's the next Naughty Dog game? TLoU 2? It been confirmed or just rumors?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I beat it on crushing last night, pretty much exactly 18 hours on the clock which is about what I expected. Not sure if pause screen keeps ticking, but the game was on pause for at least 2 hours total. I don't think it does though.

Only got about 60% of the treasures, journal entries and optional conversations, which I find mind-boggling since I spent a ridiculous amount of time checking every nook and cranny. I assume quite a few of them are located in areas found by taking different paths while climbing that I guess I missed, but still...

Overall I'd give it about an 87/100. The visuals and most of the set pieces were amazing, the characters were excellent as always, and it was a fitting end to the series. That said, it also felt like 'more of the same' in terms of story and game mechanics, the final boss fight was one of the worst I've ever played (again, on crushing--it's fairly trivial to beat on other difficulties, or if you use the slow motion cheat), and the combat sections got kind of tedious after a while. Not just because of dying either.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hit the end of chapter 21 last night and will most likely finish the game tonight. I think I'm actually going to be sad when it is over. We don't get to see many games of this caliber any longer.
frown.png

I think I'm going to finish black flag after this because I am in complete pirate mode now. They did everything so well from a story perspective. Atmosphere and environment. Depth of characters. Man. I wish we had fifty naughty dog companies out there.