Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

spronk

FPS noob
don't just do a power off, do a database rebuild. turn off, hold power button for 7 seconds while turning on and you should see an option to Rebuild Database after 30 secs. Will take a 1-2 mins to rebuild with a 1-2TB drive.
https://support.us.playstation.com/a...Safe-Mode-PS4/

but yeah i'd also make sure your TV is set to game mode or maybe try hooking up to PC monitor, input lag generally is going to be related to HDMI switches or the TV doing broadcast optimizations on the signal when you want it to treat it as raw as possible. Floaty weird camera sounds more like TV issues rather than controller/PS4.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fun so far, I suck at treasure finding though.
FFS, you guys weren't kidding about the treasures. In the previous games I've found probably 95% of them myself just because I always check every corner and the ones I miss are usually because I accidentally trigger a cutscene before I was done exploring. Not this time though--I've only found 4 of the first 16 so far.

Also, no input lag whatsoever here. I play on a PC monitor though. Supposedly the patch fixed some camera smoothness issues too, but I couldn't say since I never played it without the patch.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Uncharted's crushing mode is ruthless. I haven't tried it for 4 yet, but I remember the hell I went through I both 1 and 2 trying to beat the game in crushing. One scene in particular took me upwards of 70 attempts and probably 6+ hours.

I can't wait to try 4 that way. I'm just experiencing the story now, though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My only complaint with crushing, and maybe it applies to the other difficulties, is enemy placement and parking makes it almost impossible to stealth encounters. I mean you could do it, but each one would take you 5 hours and you'd need the patience of Saint Monica. I usually get 20 - 30% of them choked out and then just run and gun it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was just about to post pretty much the same comment about crushing. I've taken to just starting firefights from extreme range rather than trying to sneak at all, because when you sneak and get seen you end up flanked and likely dead (usually due to about a dozen grenades being rained down on you). Start the fight from far away and they just run at you single file, and the infinite grenade spam you have to deal with up close is never a factor at all.

spronk

FPS noob
only on chapter 8 but crushing isn't too bad so far, I thought UC1 crushing was the hardest with 2 and 3 not too terrible. fortunately the nicely spaced checkpoints means you rarely need to replay a really crazy area. brutal is way, way worse than crushing not sure if its in UC4 I assume so once you finish at crushing.

man this game really sucks you in, I played for 5 hours straight today and forced myself to stop so I don't play all night. Replayed a chapter when I saw i missed a treasure, so far 100% pickups. If you like the pirate theme, I really suggest watching Black Sails and maybe playing Assassin's Creed 4 and AC:Rogue, while the time period for those games and show is right after Henry Avery its still considered the golden age of piracy. The books Republic of Pirates and Under the Black Flag are really good history books on the time period and men.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Power off and rebuilding the database definitely helped. Much better now.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Replayed a chapter when I saw i missed a treasure, so far 100% pickups.
Hey Spronk... i've looked for chapter replay to get the ones i missed (underwater) but unless i'm blind, where the heck is the option to replay a chapter after you've passed it? Only on Chapter 8 as well, have all but the ones i missed underwater
frown.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok so played again last night after work... Look up at the clock, "Damn it... It's 11pm!?" And am now about to start chapter 12. I also took a screenshot and sent it to Spronk on PSN for no reason what so ever.

Seriously, this has to be, hands down, one of the best single player experiences I have ever had across any video game to date.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Speaking of grenades, I think these guys were all outfielders. I like to pretend I'm murdering my way through the Yankees farm system.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I got this game 2 days ago but told my brother I would bring it over to his place this weekend and we could get drunk and binge play. I don't know if I can hold out another day and a half. Damn it all!

spronk

FPS noob
Hey Spronk... i've looked for chapter replay to get the ones i missed (underwater) but unless i'm blind, where the heck is the option to replay a chapter after you've passed it? Only on Chapter 8 as well, have all but the ones i missed underwater
frown.png
go back out to main menu, story, and instead of continue or load you can just select a chapter to replay (and the difficulty). thats how you do the speed run mode for specific chapters as well, for the trophies. Put a chapter select into a new save though, so you don't screw up your main save. for the previous UC games I would just finish the game on crushing and then go back through individual chapters on easy to pick up treasures or specific trophies

and yeah, thanks for the screenshot Utnayan

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Ok so played again last night after work... Look up at the clock, "Damn it... It's 11pm!?" And am now about to start chapter 12. I also took a screenshot and sent it to Spronk on PSN for no reason what so ever.

Seriously, this has to be, hands down, one of the best single player experiences I have ever had across any video game to date.
Any chance I'd like this if I didn't care for its predecessors? I admired UC2 for its excellence across all objective metrics, but I didn't like the way it controlled, I didn't like the way it handled platforming and I didn't like the sense of spending an entire game traversing a hollywood set piece.

I DID really like TLoU.

spronk

FPS noob
its still much closer to uncharted than TLOU imo. If you don't like UC1-3 I don't see why you'd like UC4, combat wise it feels very similar to UC3. Also while its not strictly necessary I think UC4 is much more enjoyable if you have played UC1-3.

which reminds me I need to figure out how to toss back grenades, it wasn't in UC1-2 but it was in UC3 and I assume its in UC4 but usually when a grenade is around me there's too much shit going on to try and figure out what the toss back button/window is

also a thread on neogaf showing how Sam sounds pretty much like George Costanza has ruined Sam for me
frown.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Any chance I'd like this if I didn't care for its predecessors? I admired UC2 for its excellence across all objective metrics, but I didn't like the way it controlled, I didn't like the way it handled platforming and I didn't like the sense of spending an entire game traversing a hollywood set piece.

I DID really like TLoU.
So, I played UC2 on PS3 and thought it was a decent enough game, but quite honestly, I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was good, don't get me wrong, but there was something missing. I couldn't finish UC3 - it felt like a slog. I tried to play the original UC, and turned that off as well. I have not purchased the PS4 editions. So out of all of that in the series, I finished 2, couldn't get into 3, and didn't like 1. I also loved the last of us.

Now for this game, and I am really trying to place my finger on it because I am still trying to come to grips with what it is. Or a combination of things.

1) The settings and set pieces are bar none gorgeous to look at. Especially on a big screen.

2) The story, the pacing, the atmosphere, and MOST especially, the in-character bantering is just absolutely, bar none, the best I have ever experienced in any video game. There have been more than a handful of times I am outright laughing at the screen. So many times actually in the banter. The expressions that go along on their faces in cut scenes, to the dialogue, to the voice acting... And how engaging the story is. I feel emotionally connected and that NEVER happens to me in video games, although I hear about it a lot from marketing brochures - it never comes to fruition. This time? I have felt anger, love, remorse, sadness, hilariously laughing, it's crazy. I would get into specifics but I do not want to spoil it for anyone.

3) The gameplay and parkour moves a lot faster than in previous games. The shooting mechanics are righter and more responsive. The puzzles are very fun so far. And honestly, just when I get sick of shooting, I enter a door and find a puzzle or I am jumping around navigating. It seems whenever I am about to get sick of a certain play style, the game is reading my mind and has me do something else.

My advice is to buy it if you like what you see above. It's at least worth a rental. But be prepared to rent for 4-5 days. It's along game so far. I have sunk in 10 hours, on casual mode, and I am not even half way through the game yet. Last night I didn't want it to end, like the night before. And time FLIES by when playing.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Damn, thanks for typing that all out, Ut. Will +1 when not on phone. Still undecided, but it's interesting that your reaction to UC2 is quite similar to mine, yet UC4 won you over.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Worth playing if you never played 1-3? Had planned on picking up the remake collections on ps4 but Ive been slacking and everyone I've talked to says this game is unbelievably good. I HAVE played through TLoU, so I am familiar with Naughty Dog's masterpieces.