Underrated/Overrated Video Games

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
How about Myst? I get it, it was graphically innovative when it came out. It was probably the first CD based game many of us had.

Did you ever actually beat Myst? Do you know anyone who played it for more than a few hours? I’m sure someone did, I didn’t. There were simply much more engaging adventure games of the time period even if they didn’t have CD graphics. Yet 30 years later Myst still gets mentioned here and there.

I did, although I basically had to brute force the final puzzle in the Stoneship Age with the compass because I didn’t understand the premise. Riven was harder. Myst III was piss easy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I did, although I basically had to brute force the final puzzle in the Stoneship Age with the compass because I didn’t understand the premise. Riven was harder. Myst III was piss easy.
Maaaan you aren't kidding game felt near impossible but I made my way through Riven on the Playstation and disc 4 wouldn't load, never beat it.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
How about Myst? I get it, it was graphically innovative when it came out. It was probably the first CD based game many of us had.

Did you ever actually beat Myst? Do you know anyone who played it for more than a few hours? I’m sure someone did, I didn’t. There were simply much more engaging adventure games of the time period even if they didn’t have CD graphics. Yet 30 years later Myst still gets mentioned here and there.
Yeah I beat Myst with my father, was some nonsense about two brothers trapped in books and you had to choose between them or their father or something. I didn't get far in Riven though.

It's a curious dead end in genre and graphics. Point and click is dead. Pre-rendered is dead. Video of live actors is dead. It remains the pinnacle of that style simply because nobody ever bothered with it again.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Overrated: all Final Fantasy games
pirates-of-the-caribbean-johnny-depp.gif

FF6 to FF10 were legendary games. At the time.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I remember solving the treehouse pipe puzzle easy enough. But the spaceship sound puzzle fucked with me hard until my mom taught me about pitch and then I solved it. I must have been 9 or 10 years old? I remember being dumbfounded at the astronomy thing...

She got me some guide from Costco months later and eventually solved the rest of it after reading about how the puzzles worked. It was a lot to take in at that young of an age. I never really knew what was going on though. Some brothers trapped in some books or some shit.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
IShe got me some guide from Costco months later and eventually solved the rest of it after reading about how the puzzles worked. It was a lot to take in at that young of an age. I never really knew what was going on though. Some brothers trapped in some books or some shit.
I had a PS1 guide with cheat codes for loads of games, but the RPGs just had tips (eg Chocobo gained Materia in FF7) and the puzzle games had a phone number you could ring.

So we had to ring and ask someone how to beat several point and click games. Did Mist, Discworld and Broken Sword.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I remember solving the treehouse pipe puzzle easy enough. But the spaceship sound puzzle fucked with me hard until my mom taught me about pitch and then I solved it. I must have been 9 or 10 years old? I remember being dumbfounded at the astronomy thing...

She got me some guide from Costco months later and eventually solved the rest of it after reading about how the puzzles worked. It was a lot to take in at that young of an age. I never really knew what was going on though. Some brothers trapped in some books or some shit.

I was around the same age when I played; got the spaceship puzzle pretty quick, but mom had me on piano lessons since 1st grade, so I wrapped my head around it being sound-based pretty quick. Channelwood (the treehouse level) was definitely the easiest.

Riven had that goddamn base 5 number system with one (1) way to figure out what numbers 1 through 10 were buried in an obscure location in a schoolhouse.

Overrated Game: TLoZ: Twilight Princess; basically try hard Ocarina of Time with poor dungeon design. So many cool gadgets like the Spinner that were never used out of their “home dungeon.”

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

I am going back a ways for this.

Underrated: King's Field for the Playstation.

It was the precursor to all of the fantasy 3D games and was one of those games that once I started playing, I binged the hell out of it. It was a game that rewarded exploration. It had great weapons and magic for the time.
Amazing games. Moving as if sunken in molasse also added a fever dream like quality to them :D It also features one of the coolest exploration game idea ever : you find a map, but it's a very old map, so it's outdated, and comparing the map with the world allows you to get where some now hidden passages were. Very very cool.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Interesting, thanks. Out of curiosity, what types of games do you tend to like, and/or what are some of your favorite games?
I play Classic western RPGs, 4X/strat , and some RTS. A smattering of games I'll play for 20 or so hours, then lose interest (most ARPGs and FPS are in this category). WoW and Everquest lowered my tolerance for any other games with grindy type of mechanics. Ill just play WoW again if I want that.

Some of my favorite games would be Planescape: Torment, BG2, Fallout 2, Wizardry 8, Jagged Alliance 2, Distant Worlds, Stellaris, Dominions 3/4, Warhammer TW 2, the Pathfinder games, Evil Genius, Warcraft 3, X3:TC /w mods... and Goldeneye.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
Underrated: Days Gone

Basically Red Dead 2 as modern times zombie world (play on survival mode, disable all helpers)

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Myst is definitely overrated. There was a time in 1996 when it was all over the gaming magazines.

I've got another underrated: Ghost in the Shell for Playstation 1. Freaking fantastic game where you pilot a weird bug mech and can zip around fully 3D maps at high speed, scale buildings and leap off of them like Spider-Man, etc. It was like Mario 64 with machine guns, on meth.

• 2Like

Cybsled

I do agree Myst was overrated. I think the reason it was so popular is because it was a very early PC game that had appeal to the non-gamer segment of the population and good graphics for the time. CD-Roms on PC were fairly new and it was sort of a "killer app"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I do agree Myst was overrated. I think the reason it was so popular is because it was a very early PC game that had appeal to the non-gamer segment of the population and good graphics for the time. CD-Roms on PC were fairly new and it was sort of a "killer app"
I never got that into Myst, but I do remember there being a lot of hype around it.

I think you nailed it though, it was one of the few cross-over games that appealed to the normies and reminds me of the first big iPhone apps like Angry Birds (ie games that aren’t actually that great or even novel, but somehow capture a huge audience).

You do have to give it credit though, it was novel in the way it looked and had a very atmospheric appeal pre-Lost.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Under/Over may be tough to quantify but how about times you got swindled? I bought Manhunt due to the controversy

1672379529857.png

and thought it was a gigantic piece of shit. Had to watch the same kill animations over and over, no fancy animations for projectile weapon kills and the game eventually bails on the stealth element. Even growing up during a number of different bits of outrage I hadn't quite learned enough to stop myself from shelling at 60 bucks for something that was 100% not going to be in my wheelhouse.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider

Yeah I was able to beat Myst back when.

Granted, this was back in the day when you'd discuss it with friends and you'd all tell each other what puzzles you could figure out and everyone could take from someone else to try out

I dont think Myst is over or underrated. It was a fairly popular game in its day and ALL my friends that played it enjoyed it regardless of what other types of games they liked.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider

I beat Myst, Riven and Exile and noped out on Uru or whatever the shitty 3D one was. Never bothered with the last two after that.

The extremely slow story reveal and world building through the games was interesting.

The first game was all about the sound design, puzzles and visuals (for the time) with the majority of the story really only being revealed in the final moments.

Riven and exile were a lot more story focused and had really decent puzzles I remember.

The entire plot of the games would take about 10 minutes total playtime to experience if you didn't have to puzzles your way to each new cutscene.

Overall I thought they were decent for the time with a solid enough hook in the lore reveals to keep pushing through the puzzles.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Overrated Game: TLoZ: Twilight Princess; basically try hard Ocarina of Time with poor dungeon design. So many cool gadgets like the Spinner that were never used out of their “home dungeon.”

I forgot about Twilight Princess. Such an overrated game. Played it in 2014, well after it was out. Maybe it was better in-era.

Was the last 3D Zelda I played, actually (still haven't played Skyward Sword or BOTW). I'll get to those two some time for sure, but it's notable that Twilight Princess pretty much warded me off of the 3D Zelda series for like 8 years. I still like the 2D ones but yeah, Twilight just pissed me off.

You get the waggle-motion controls that let you swing the Wiimote to swing your sword. Pretty cool. Then you spend the first 3 hours of the game playing as Wolf Link, so you're doing the sword-swing motions to bite things.

Yep, some 20 years after the original Legend of Zelda, you could finally swing Link's sword with a motion controller...and you immediately have to play as a dog for several hours.

Just idiotic.

Then after that's done, the game gets a bit better, but it's brown as hell (a lot of games were in the late 2000's) and bland and dull. It tries really hard to be "dark" and edgy, but it isn't half as dark as Majora's Mask was without even trying. Out of the 3D Zeldas I've played (OoT, MM, WW, TP) TP is my least-favorite by a large margin.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like