Underrated/Overrated Video Games

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I can't really think of overrated games that haven't been mentioned in the thread already, but there's a really underrated or at least too unknown gem on the X360 that was called Enslaved : Journey to the West.

It was a masterful retelling of the Odyssey to the West myth done in a futuristic post-apocalyptic fashion and it was very well animated, beautiful graphics, cool story with some humor and sad moments. I never see anyone let's playing it or talking about it and it's a damn shame.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is it because @Araysar is in the game?!?

Nah just bitter that every attempt to follow up on the IP for the last twenty years has been an absolute trainwreck and trying desperately not to get my hopes up now that a studio with a respectable track record is working on Jagged Alliance 3.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Underrated? I would say Phantasy Star 2, or any of that genre like Sword of Vermillion that wasn't FF.

Overrated? The Halo games. NO clue why people think these are great.

• 3Truth!
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Underrated: Oni was an awesome blend of 3rd person brawler and shooter with great gameplay for its time. Shogo was arguably one of the best story driven mech games ever made with a strong anime influence. Beyond Good and Evil falls into the same category. For us really old farts, Star Flight was an epic hard core sci fi rpg that had an amazing story and lore to it. Also, honorable mention to Jade Empire which is a game that really deserved a sequel but never got one. I would put Uncharted Waters in there too, as a better version of Sid Meier's Pirates.

Overrated: I would like to add to what Brahma said about Halo. They were not even better than their contemporary shooters and are only popular due to the fratbros who could not build a gaming PC hopping on the XBox. I also want to be edgy and say FF7, for a number of reasons even though I myself have played it extensively. It was the start of some of the worst trends in the series (real time battle, protagonist who has amnesia and probably cross dresses at some point, super linear progression, and obtuse nihilistic stories because the lead writer lost his mother) and continued some existing bad ones (playable party size down to three, all characters are mostly the same outside limit breaks, ridiculously grindy farms for key items, Modernized setting, mostly forgettable characters) that would continue well into the present. Objectively, it is where the series lost its way, we just did not realize it at the time because we were all ogling pixelized Tifa boobies.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Amazing games. Moving as if sunken in molasse also added a fever dream like quality to them :D It also features one of the coolest exploration game idea ever : you find a map, but it's a very old map, so it's outdated, and comparing the map with the world allows you to get where some now hidden passages were. Very very cool.
Plot twist, the Kings field games were also made by Fromsoftware and many of the design elements can be seen carried through their soulsborne titles culminating in Elden Ring.

I played Kingsfield 1, 2 and the dark tower? The exploration and sense of total isolation in the world was great. Also being allowed to walk into areas you are absolutely not prepared for is something more games need.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Overrated: Call of Duty Franchise

Underrated: Secret of Evermore

Nah. I'm not even a COD guy any longer and COD has way too many memorable moments over the years to be overrated.

That nuke going off.

Stalingrad

The airport scene.

And of course...

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah. I'm not even a COD guy any longer and COD has way too many memorable moments over the years to be overrated.

That nuke going off.

Stalingrad

The airport scene.

And of course...

Nuke and C-130 are both from 2007, airport scene is meh, and that WaW scene is literally just a half-assed ripoff of Enemy at the Gates.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Nuke and C-130 are both from 2007, airport scene is meh, and that WaW scene is literally just a half-assed ripoff of Enemy at the Gates.

Come on man. I know you're Mr. Negative, but tell me those weren't all memorable gaming moments. Christ the airport scene was very controversial back then. I was shocked they put that shit in a COD game.

Here are some more. Definitely some of my best gaming moments were from the COD campaign.

What would be your most overrated games?

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Come on man. I know you're Mr. Negative, but tell me those weren't all memorable gaming moments. Christ the airport scene was very controversial back then. I was shocked they put that shit in a COD game.

Here are some more. Definitely some of my best gaming moments were from the COD campaign.

What would be your most overrated games?

I was agreeing with you that the CoD 4: MW scenes were great, but that game came out in 2007. The franchise as a whole is horribly bloated with mediocre crap at this point.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
COD Singleplayer is pretty fucking tough overall. Like Brahma said, some of the best gaming moments ever were in those games. And yeah, most were over 10 years old now, but honestly, if some of those missions with say.... PS4 graphics, were to come out today, they would be just as good as any game released in the last decade.

Which is more of an indictment on the quality of modern games. Its so crazy how little amount of maps there are in this latest COD. The COD Father dude that does YouTube vids on COD was saying this game has been worked on for 3 years with thousands of developers, HOW DOES THIS GAME NOT HAVE 20 FUCKING MAPS? Its insane how small the map lineup is. I mean, fuck everything else, if the game had at least 15 maps, it would be at least two times better IMO.

The lack of maps is mindblowing.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I was agreeing with you that the CoD 4: MW scenes were great, but that game came out in 2007. The franchise as a whole is horribly bloated with mediocre crap at this point.

Oh ya! I haven't bothered with COD for years up until this last release because I was conned into getting the game! It's exactly as you say. Mediocre and bloated.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Underrated:

Spaceship Warlock

very fun point and click adventure game that was overshadowed by Myst.

the creator went on to make Total Distortion, the game with the infamous “You Are Dead” Game Over theme

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Underrated? I would say Phantasy Star 2, or any of that genre like Sword of Vermillion that wasn't FF.

The first Halo was great because of how easy it was to expand up to 16 players. It was the first time common noobs who couldn't figure out how to use a PC could experience more than 4 players in our lifetime. It was hilariously unbalanced but a really good time with 15 other people.

If only these same people could have experienced Unreal Tournament or Quake 3.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Illusion of Gaia.

Got really overlooked because it came out around the same time as Chrono Trigger.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Phantasy Star 2 gets completely overshadowed by Phantasy Star 4. Like fully eclipsed. They're similar enough but PS4 is a superior game, maybe the best RPG on the Genesis. I'd give 2nd place to PS2 though. It's pretty fantastic for its era, and definitely underrated. Phantasy Star 1 was pretty good too, but limited somewhat by the hardware of 1989. I wasn't into Phantasy Star 3 though, only real down spot in an otherwise fantastic quadrilogy.

Overrated: Call of Duty Franchise

Underrated: Secret of Evermore

Secret of Evermore is so good. I think about it fondly every so often, and hardly any games am I still nostalgic like that for. It's one of those games that's best on the first run, with the Nintendo Powers of the era to read beforehand. The four worlds are very distinct and all awesome in one way or another and having alchemy instead of spells was a cool idea. In practice it ended up inferior to Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger in most ways and thus kinda got overlooked/ignored. I do wish Evermore had spell groupings and (especially) weapon groupings, since having to defeat 150 enemies with every new weapon to level it up was a pain in the ass. I don't think I ever actually bothered after the first set of weapons (which are actually worthwhile to level given how tough the early bosses are). Nothing worse than getting an upgrade to a weapon or alchemy and having it start at level 0. Other than that Evermore was fantastic and in some ways even more memorable than Mana.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

You can still have good games in a series that has overall mediocrity. Games like Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield 5 don't erase how good games like BF1942, BF: Vietnam, or Battlefield 3 were

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You can still have good games in a series that has overall mediocrity. Games like Battlefield 2042 and Battlefield 5 don't erase how good games like BF1942, BF: Vietnam, or Battlefield 3 were
Man it's almost like this little tangent started when someone criticized the franchise as a whole or something.