Underrated/Overrated Video Games

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Underrated: World of Final Fantasy. This game is tremendous. The battles are pretty simplistic and it is never particularly challenging, but I love the way it re-creates so many classic Final Fantasy locations with a diorama-esque look and dream-like aesthetic. The soundtrack is also suitably mystical. So many of SE's modern projects feel low-effort or botched, while WOFF feels like it has way more effort and care put into it than it actually called for. It was supposed to be a fun little tribute game and it ended up being one of my favorite games of the last five years.

Underrated: Terminator Salvation, the arcade game. While it doesn't get my motor running the same way T2 The Arcade Game did, this is still a pretty fantastic light-gun game. It's totally different from the console TS games and features some machines that didn't make it into the final cut of the movie, like the proto HK Tank. The only downside of it is that it's expensive, and you need like $30 in quarters to actually beat the game. Still a fun time, especially with a second player (which makes it much easier).
WoFF is definitely way underrated. And yeah pretty easy if you min/max it, but you can add your own difficulty by not going for the best critters all the time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I don’t know if it’s considered underrated because I know it got pretty good reviews at the time but it was a bummer that nothing else came of Jet Force Gemini. Game was way ahead of its time and probably the best 3d Rare game.

19B55572-8726-487C-975B-9DA489165490.jpeg

Overrated is probably both Destinys. Everything that’s tedious about modern mmos. Just running the same shit over and over and over for the chance at that plus one gooder piece of gear or the ultra rare legendary drop.

Cybsled

Rare put out some amazing shit during the N64 era: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Furday. I never got a chance to play Jetforce.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Underrated: G-Police
G-Police_Coverart.jpg

G-Police - Wikipedia

Did anyone even play this game on PS1? It was half flight sim in a helicopter dogfighting enemies at low altitude over a cyberpunk city, half open world game with traffic and pedestrians in a persistent city.

I can't think of any other 3D open world games on PS1.

Overrated: FIFA. It's gaming for retards.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Underrated: G-Police
View attachment 450751
G-Police - Wikipedia

Did anyone even play this game on PS1? It was half flight sim in a helicopter dogfighting enemies at low altitude over a cyberpunk city, half open world game with traffic and pedestrians in a persistent city.

I can't think of any other 3D open world games on PS1.

Overrated: FIFA. It's gaming for retards.
I played g police. The timed missions were brutal. It was not an easy game and it suffered from low draw distance and everything having dark textures.

It was different enough to keep me playing. I don't think I ever beat it though.

Also for underrated from the PS1 era: Jet motto. And jet motto 2. But maybe not, I think there were a billion copies of those games floating around. Hard to remember how games were viewed at the time.

It was the jankiest game ever, but holy crap was it fun.

And also also: Syndicate Wars. That game was amazing for the time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Overrated: Destiny, especially the first one. MMO busywork, generally uninspired everything, and they named all the bad guys (robots) after fantasy creatures which just irritated me after a while. One hour I'm defeating a bunch of nondescript robots called Goblins, the next I defeat a nondescript robot boss called the Orc Chieftain or Witch Lord or something like that and I'm like "the fuck"

Underrated: Einhander for the PS1. Fantastic shooter. If Square had its act together we'd get a modern port of it, plus the obvious Zweihander sequel.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
underrated = spintires. I always thought this game could have been deer hunter 2.0 if marketed/designed properly.

overated = battlefield 1. I hated the design changes they made and the sjw retardation really showed itself. A real shame because the game was phenominal in terms of presentation.
The first Halo was great because of how easy it was to expand up to 16 players. It was the first time common noobs who couldn't figure out how to use a PC could experience more than 4 players in our lifetime. It was hilariously unbalanced but a really good time with 15 other people.
I member that. My friend would bring over his xbox and id have gamespy on my computer so we could play 16 player halo from the comfort of my bedroom.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Overrated - Halo. I remember friends saying I must buy an Xbox to play Halo. So, I did just that and was thinking to myself “None of my friends have ever played a shooter on PC”. There isn’t anything above or beyond. It’s not shit. It’s just a common shooter among thousands of shooters

Underrated: Days gone. One of the best games I have ever played.

Multiplayer Overrated: Anything that states “so much more fun with friends”. Yeah no shit.

Multiplayer Underrated: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. It required strategy and was awesome cat and mouse. Most didn’t seem to play it because they actually had to learn a new way to play besides dragging everything in sight.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I played g police. The timed missions were brutal. It was not an easy game and it suffered from low draw distance and everything having dark textures.

It was different enough to keep me playing. I don't think I ever beat it though.

Also for underrated from the PS1 era: Jet motto. And jet motto 2. But maybe not, I think there were a billion copies of those games floating around. Hard to remember how games were viewed at the time.

It was the jankiest game ever, but holy crap was it fun.

And also also: Syndicate Wars. That game was amazing for the time.

I still boot and play jet moto, mountain dew heavy ass bike is the tits.
There were so many good PS1 games no one played like Project overkill. And that other super violent top down I can’t remember but death animations are still good today.
Found it:
Just dumb fun

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Underrated: Tales of Phantasia (SNES)

Big time JRPG nonsense with like a B+ story, but the traditional battle mechanics are replaced entirely by a side scrolling street figther/final fight hybrid style combat system that was absolutely mind blowing for the era it came out. Big magics, big shoryuken inputs to do sword combos, all kinds of fuckery with using spells to pause the combat flow to get more hits in, shit was fucking wild for 1994 or whatever it was when it came out.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Illusion of Gaia.

Got really overlooked because it came out around the same time as Chrono Trigger.

Loved that game when I was a kid and still sometimes get random memories from it. Maybe I'll replay it and finally collect all the rubies (when I was a kid I collected all but 1 or 2 if I remember right)

Also underrated RPGish action game from that era, albeit with not much story, was Skyblazer

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
WarZone 2100 was one of the only of that style strategy game I ever really got into

I much preferred "tactics" style strategy like the highly underrated Front Mission 3

And Ogre Battle is well known at this point but still way underrated. One of Yasumi Matsuno's best. It has direct sequels in Japan that never got translated to English (not even a fan translation yet) and I want to play them so bad!

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Wait, Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia DID finally get an English fan translation a few years ago! Just been that long since I looked! Holy crap I'm excited 😆

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Illusion of Gaia.

Got really overlooked because it came out around the same time as Chrono Trigger.

Considered to be part of the "Quintet Trilogy" along with Soul Blazer and Terranigma. You can actually see a few similarities between it and Soul Blazer especially. The Metal Mantis fights in both games are practically cloned.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will add another Underrated game that was strategy based that I thoroughly enjoyed on the Sega Genesis.

1672511795367.png

It was such a fun strategy game that included a leveling system that actually mattered as part of the strategy to win.

I wish they would have come out with a great updated version of this game. I think it really could be a lot of fun with updated animation and perhaps a few rule tweaks.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You know what took me a really long to realize is a very overrated game tho?

EverQuest

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Wait, Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia DID finally get an English fan translation a few years ago! Just been that long since I looked! Holy crap I'm excited 😆

Oh wow. I have a local retro console video game and indoor mini golf place near me. Trust me, it's way better than it might sound. It's like a working museum with almost every single home console and handheld system ever made. Even some super weird ones like this one console that only had like 10 shitty anime dating games but let you take screen shots and print them as stickers.... yeah.

Anyways, they acquired a new geo pocket and the ever drive for it, which is just some flash memory with a complete list of roms for all the system's games. So I asked to use it just to play this game so I could say I had played every ogre battle game.

Everything was in Japanese but it's ogre battle so I still beat the first few missions. Graphics were actually pretty sharp given the tiny screen.

That's really cool about the translation though.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently it's only a partial translation but still. I've played so much of the OG Ogre Battle that the idea of having any more Ogre Battle content to play is really exciting.

Cybsled

Pretty sure I have a Neo Geo Pocket buried away somewhere. I have no recollection of what games I bought for it beyond KoF.