Underrated/Overrated Video Games

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Two Underrated arcade games:

Spider-Man: The Video Game by Sega (Arcade)

View attachment 455351
Fun beat ‘em up that sometimes transitions to a platform style shooter. Big colorful sprites and characters plus utilized most of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery and even had Dr. Doom as the penultimate boss.

Captain America and the Avengers by Data East (Arcade)

View attachment 455352

Straight beat ‘em up with a couple of shooting sections. Nice graphics and again used tons of villains, including a Sentinel robot and Juggernaut for some reason.

These were both excellent games if you were a fan of comics in the early 90s. Both were available in 4 player cabinets so you and all your nerd friends could play together.

I call them underrated due to being less memorable than most Capcom beat ‘em ups that were available at the time. But they’re still very fun in their own right and definitely worth your time to emulate if you want to give them a shot.
Avengers has some of the best/worst dialogue I have ever heard in a game and is pretty much the only reason I ever replay it on MAME.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Avengers has some of the best/worst dialogue I have ever heard in a game and is pretty much the only reason I ever replay it on MAME.
I lost count having to explain to my friend that

Avengers: "You can't escape!"
Whirlwind: "You will be the one escaping!"

Means that Whirlwind is trying to taunt the Avengers, saying he's going to beat them so bad, they'll have to run away.

So many gem lines from the game.

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Never even heard of this one so it's definitely underrated. Looks awesome. Is it easier than Punch-Out / Super Punch-Out? I've tried those a bunch of times because I find them very fun, but I never get all that far. I tend to just run them until I lose. I get a lot farther in Super than in the NES one. Usually fall on the third fight on the NES and like the 5th or 6th on the SNES. It might be the only game on the SNES Classic that I never finished in the past.
I'd say its about on par with the difficulty of Super Punchout, but in a different way. It's more about learning how to chain hits then memorizing any one boxer's specific pattern.

Once you figure out how to perform combos, then you start getting better. I do think the game falls under "easy to learn, difficult to master."

Admittedly, once you know most of the combos, the game does start to significantly fall in difficulty. You can generally exploit the same combos over to win. However you shouldn't feel too bad as the computer can and does cheat like hitting you twice with the same punch, your punches going through them at random(you can typically find another combo to get around this), input reading(eg the computer punches you in the head the moment you drop your guard to throw a body blow) and my favorite: where it simply just starts throwing alternating body blows to break your combos.

Here's some footage to illustrate just how stupidly broken Ali is when used against a computer controlled player. Remember, Ali has the highest speed stat of ANY boxer, even when both boxers have maximum speed value. He's the only boxer in the game that can chain a single punch into an uppercut.

Against the other Heavyweights, the only ones you can't guarantee a first round KO are Marciano, because of his insane durability, and Ali himself due to his insane speed and the aforementioned cheating of the computer multiplying it.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone played that Terminator Salvation arcade game? Looks really good. Also looks like a total quarter muncher. I didn't get very far single-player with $8. Gonna bring a sack of quarters and a friend and give it another try if it's still there. Considering it's like ten years old, surprised it's still in arcades at all. It's a worthy successor to T2 The Arcade Game.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Underrated

Battle tanks 64
Rebellion (4x star wars game

I played the heck out of some rebellion, but I’d never call it underrated. A lot of people probably wouldn’t have liked it, and the people into that sort of game bought it.

Hey, TheNozz TheNozz , while you're playing the Monopoly of real life, some of us are engaging in the digital playground. Video games like Minecraft can be more than just a pastime; they can also offer lessons in resource management, teamwork, and problem-solving. In Minecraft, there's a similar risk-and-reward mechanic at play, especially when you're mining for resources deep underground with the constant threat of running into lava or hostile mobs.
Interestingly, some players use cheats for Minecraft to tilt the odds in their favor. These hacks can range from simple texture modifications to more advanced cheats that give you extra abilities. Just like in your real estate deals, it's crucial to know the risks involved and whether it's worth taking them."

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Overrated: Call of Duty Franchise

Underrated: Secret of Evermore

Secret of Evermore is so good. I think about it fondly every so often, and hardly any games am I still nostalgic like that for. It's one of those games that's best on the first run, with the Nintendo Powers of the era to read beforehand. The four worlds are very distinct and all awesome in one way or another and having alchemy instead of spells was a cool idea. In practice it ended up inferior to Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger in most ways and thus kinda got overlooked/ignored. I do wish Evermore had spell groupings and (especially) weapon groupings, since having to defeat 150 enemies with every new weapon to level it up was a pain in the ass. I don't think I ever actually bothered after the first set of weapons (which are actually worthwhile to level given how tough the early bosses are). Nothing worse than getting an upgrade to a weapon or alchemy and having it start at level 0. Other than that Evermore was fantastic and in some ways even more memorable than Mana.
Just started another run of Evermore, and I wholeheartedly agree that it’s underrated.

everything that was said before about the worlds, alchemy and weapons too.

definitely could have used some tweaking: maybe make leveling weapons take longer BUT make it all for one category. EG: once you’ve leveled up a sword to level 3, they’re all leveled up. Also, maybe some kind of system where you can splice existing alchemy progress to a similar spell. EG: you can take a spell like Flash at level 4, erase its progress, and get half the value towards Fireball so that it starts at level 2

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I loved evermore alchemy system. Encouraged a diversity of ingredients in spell selection rather than simply goodest spell

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This game is in alpha right now, free and very functional. Perfect successor/ clone of Total Annihilation.

im surprised it's not more popular

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This game is in alpha right now, free and very functional. Perfect successor/ clone of Total Annihilation.

im surprised it's not more popular

Shit, I forgot all about that one even though I still have it installed. TA is one of my all time favorites.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Overrated Game: TLoZ: Twilight Princess; basically try hard Ocarina of Time with poor dungeon design. So many cool gadgets like the Spinner that were never used out of their “home dungeon.”

Oh man, I had so much beef with Twilght Princess. I was looking forward to playing it for years, expecting Ocarina of Time 2.0. I finally get a Wii in like 2010 or so and the game was all brown and dull and the special items were basically useless outside of being a gimmick in their dungeon, as you said.

The thing that bothered me the most about the game was how it gives you these (at the time) cool motion controls where you can actually swing your arm in the air to swing your sword, which was half the selling point for me, and then... you spend like the first four hours playing as the goddamn wolf and swinging your arm to bite things.

Anyone played that Terminator Salvation arcade game? Looks really good. Also looks like a total quarter muncher. I didn't get very far single-player with $8. Gonna bring a sack of quarters and a friend and give it another try if it's still there. Considering it's like ten years old, surprised it's still in arcades at all. It's a worthy successor to T2 The Arcade Game.

I actually did this since then. I brought a friend to an arcade that had it and co-opped the whole game. It's only like 20 minutes long but it's pretty cool. Terminator super-fans will get more out of it because it has some proto designs of future war tech. So like a predecessor to T2: The Arcade Game in terms of tech level of the bad guys. Would be cool to see somebody remake T2: TAG, but I guess that's pretty unlikely.

Oh, there's a good one. Underrated: Terminator Resistance. An actual good modern Future War game that follows T1 and T2 and none of the others. Pretty much what a T3 should have been. Some fantastic levels, especially late in the game where it's all-out war. There's also a level where a bunch of terminators are hunting you in this mansion and you can sneak around setting traps and luring them into the basement to blow them up and whatnot. Having a toggle for x-ray vision kind of trivializes that level, but otherwise it's a good time. Highly recommend that on PS4 or 5, probably cheap by now too.

Overrated: Grand Theft Auto 4. Game is sluggish AF and kinda looks terrible now on modern TVs (yeah, I know someone modded a 4K version, but I have it on PS3). The characters don't really interest me, everything looks dull and grey/brown (it was the late 2000's so of course). Doesn't have any of the "magic" that the earlier ones had. Like I never have any moment with it where I go "wow" at anything. It's the only GTA I haven't beaten, but I'd like to.

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Didn't read all the posts, but I'll agree that the King's Field series was amazing. I played 1 & 2 on PS1 (US numbers), and eventually the one one PS2 I think? The newest one seemed to play the best, but the first two were just so fun exploring and figuring out where to go next.

I know the Souls series is an ode to those games, but would love to see how a modern game in that style would look like today.....I'd play it in a hearbeat.

Even downloaded the Sword of Moonlight tool and played some fan made games, though they weren't as enjoyable in my opinion.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ouch. I was about to go replay Twilight Princess. Watched a trailer for it again and thought I might give it a go. I have much fonder memories of that than I do skyward sword or wind waker.

also due to WoW and grad school/first job, I missed an assload of the ps3/xbox 360 gen. I have both consoles but they mostly collected dust.

• 1Solidarity

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ouch. I was about to go replay Twilight Princess. Watched a trailer for it again and thought I might give it a go. I have much fonder memories of that than I do skyward sword or wind waker.

also due to WoW and grad school/first job, I missed an assload of the ps3/xbox 360 gen. I have both consoles but they mostly collected dust.

Honestly, a lot of the PS3/Xbox360 era was also on PC as well. You might not have missed out on a lot unless you're looking at the super duper exclusives that haven't already been remade/remastered for PS4/PS5 yet. I don't think they've done that for the Resistance or Killzone series, both which were pretty good but FPS on a console can drive some people bonkers.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, a lot of the PS3/Xbox360 era was also on PC as well. You might not have missed out on a lot unless you're looking at the super duper exclusives that haven't already been remade/remastered for PS4/PS5 yet. I don't think they've done that for the Resistance or Killzone series, both which were pretty good but FPS on a console can drive some people bonkers.
I played gears and bioshock 1. Not a huge fps fan in general. I missed mass effect and the first dragon age. Those are my big regrets.

Rude

Potato del Grande
Oh man, I had so much beef with Twilght Princess. I was looking forward to playing it for years, expecting Ocarina of Time 2.0. I finally get a Wii in like 2010 or so and the game was all brown and dull and the special items were basically useless outside of being a gimmick in their dungeon, as you said.

The thing that bothered me the most about the game was how it gives you these (at the time) cool motion controls where you can actually swing your arm in the air to swing your sword, which was half the selling point for me, and then... you spend like the first four hours playing as the goddamn wolf and swinging your arm to bite things.

I actually did this since then. I brought a friend to an arcade that had it and co-opped the whole game. It's only like 20 minutes long but it's pretty cool. Terminator super-fans will get more out of it because it has some proto designs of future war tech. So like a predecessor to T2: The Arcade Game in terms of tech level of the bad guys. Would be cool to see somebody remake T2: TAG, but I guess that's pretty unlikely.

Oh, there's a good one. Underrated: Terminator Resistance. An actual good modern Future War game that follows T1 and T2 and none of the others. Pretty much what a T3 should have been. Some fantastic levels, especially late in the game where it's all-out war. There's also a level where a bunch of terminators are hunting you in this mansion and you can sneak around setting traps and luring them into the basement to blow them up and whatnot. Having a toggle for x-ray vision kind of trivializes that level, but otherwise it's a good time. Highly recommend that on PS4 or 5, probably cheap by now too.

Overrated: Grand Theft Auto 4. Game is sluggish AF and kinda looks terrible now on modern TVs (yeah, I know someone modded a 4K version, but I have it on PS3). The characters don't really interest me, everything looks dull and grey/brown (it was the late 2000's so of course). Doesn't have any of the "magic" that the earlier ones had. Like I never have any moment with it where I go "wow" at anything. It's the only GTA I haven't beaten, but I'd like to.
Lebron James What GIF by SB Nation