Underrated/Overrated Video Games

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
See now that is just crazy talk, EQ still grabs me every year or so.
Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Especially when combined with marijuana or alcohol. The fact that the combat happens slow enough that you can spend most of the time pretending it's a chatroom with flashy colors is one of the biggest pluses to most people. And just yeah after 24 years in Norrath I realllllllly do not have the patience to autoattack in the same place for 5 minutes while listening to autists screech in guild chat and ruin my immersion.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Under-rated: Blood Rayne - great game and good mechanics

Under-rated: Fatal Frame - I thought it was totally unique and really creepy/scary

Over-rated: Super Mario Odyssey

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Over-rated - Path of Exile. It's just a bloated mess that isn't fun.

Under-rated - Guardians of the Galaxy. Game launched with some massive save problems and other technical issues. It started as kind of a hot mess. They fixed all those issues. The game is just fun. The story is pretty good. The quips back and forth are amusing. The music is top notch. When Iron Maiden came on in the middle of that flight scene I got sucked right in. If you haven't played it, get it on sale. It's worth the 15 hours to complete.

• 3Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Over-rated - Path of Exile. It's just a bloated mess that isn't fun.

Under-rated - Guardians of the Galaxy. Game launched with some massive save problems and other technical issues. It started as kind of a hot mess. They fixed all those issues. The game is just fun. The story is pretty good. The quips back and forth are amusing. The music is top notch. When Iron Maiden came on in the middle of that flight scene I got sucked right in. If you haven't played it, get it on sale. It's worth the 15 hours to complete.
It is a fun game, but it is just too long. It wears out it's welcome earlier than it's conclusion (although the ever-credit level was a surprise).

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think I would call PoE overrated specifically. would need to caveat it. it deserved the praise, 4 years ago.
its a bloated mess NOW, and its rightly called out for it constantly. so, its currently rated right where it belongs.

its an interesting case study in DLC, and player wishes. really, it was the dream of DLC. constant periodic updates. its what everyone dreamed of, when online games first were introduced. when DLC was first introduced. But, then we got MMO's with slow drips at best, and paid dlc after paid dlc of horse armor.
Path of exile is giving us what we thought we wanted, in that constant periodic updates. But as we can see... its not. it creates a bloated mess of a game.

What we ACTUALLY want is more along the lines of Terraria, Starsector, dwarf fortress, rimworld, factorio etc. YEARLY updates, which give permanent enhancements to the base game.

Last edited:

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I played g police. The timed missions were brutal. It was not an easy game and it suffered from low draw distance and everything having dark textures.

It was different enough to keep me playing. I don't think I ever beat it though.

Also for underrated from the PS1 era: Jet motto. And jet motto 2. But maybe not, I think there were a billion copies of those games floating around. Hard to remember how games were viewed at the time.

It was the jankiest game ever, but holy crap was it fun.

And also also: Syndicate Wars. That game was amazing for the time.
I remember taking turns at my friends house playing Jett Motto. Butterfinger clan for life.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Overrated - Halo. I remember friends saying I must buy an Xbox to play Halo. So, I did just that and was thinking to myself “None of my friends have ever played a shooter on PC”. There isn’t anything above or beyond. It’s not shit. It’s just a common shooter among thousands of shooters

Multiplayer Underrated: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. It required strategy and was awesome cat and mouse. Most didn’t seem to play it because they actually had to learn a new way to play besides dragging everything in sight.
100% both of these. I'd kill for a non-ubisoft splintercell remake of PT/Chaos Theory and even Double agent for the MP - Double agent died on PC so fast on MP because there was a fun bug with the stupid P2P lobbies that if any of the clients loaded slower than the hosts, the game would assume the host ended the session. Took them 2 months to apply a fix and the community gave up and went back to CT after that.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I’ve been playing this game for weeks recently and can’t believe I haven’t mentioned it until now:

Greatest Heavyweights for Sega Genesis
88A61BD8-2B32-4542-ADE9-07F130F2F307.png

Super underrated game. Likely because of Super Punchout being available roughly a year later and, in my opinion, probably because kids were more into team based sports games on Genesis.

This was the (much improved) follow up to Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal boxing. It uses the same sprites for the boxers and now you could play as, in addition to Holyfield; Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Larry Holmes.

568EE5B4-7849-4803-BFDB-586A79D57C33.jpeg

Ali and Marciano were akin to using cheat codes with Ali being lightning fast, even faster than a create a boxer with max speed, and Marciano had insane power and stamina regeneration(my friend and I discovered that Marciano was narrowly better due to Ali losing speed as he took body shots).

Finally, the games career mode allowed you to make your own boxer to fight your way through 30 opponents before fighting the world champion “Mike Dixon.” After which, you had to defeat the 8 greatest heavyweights to earn the title of the Greatest.

One final note: due to a memory issue, I think, the referee at the end of the fight would take the same color pattern of one of the boxers randomly, resulting in hilarity like this:

9E8C037C-3CB9-4F40-BB0D-514642FD6265.jpeg

“Gee, you think the ref is biased?”

Game still holds up really well today. it’s far more like an actual boxing game than the Punchout series, which in my opinion is more of a pattern recognition game(but still a great series.) If you can get a physical copy or emulate it, please give it a shot.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been playing this game for weeks recently and can’t believe I haven’t mentioned it until now:

Greatest Heavyweights for Sega Genesis
View attachment 454060

Super underrated game. Likely because of Super Punchout being available roughly a year later and, in my opinion, probably because kids were more into team based sports games on Genesis.

This was the (much improved) follow up to Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal boxing. It uses the same sprites for the boxers and now you could play as, in addition to Holyfield; Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Larry Holmes.

View attachment 454066
Ali and Marciano were akin to using cheat codes with Ali being lightning fast, even faster than a create a boxer with max speed, and Marciano had insane power and stamina regeneration(my friend and I discovered that Marciano was narrowly better due to Ali losing speed as he took body shots).

Finally, the games career mode allowed you to make your own boxer to fight your way through 30 opponents before fighting the world champion “Mike Dixon.” After which, you had to defeat the 8 greatest heavyweights to earn the title of the Greatest.

One final note: due to a memory issue, I think, the referee at the end of the fight would take the same color pattern of one of the boxers randomly, resulting in hilarity like this:

View attachment 454078
“Gee, you think the ref is biased?”

Game still holds up really well today. it’s far more like an actual boxing game than the Punchout series, which in my opinion is more of a pattern recognition game(but still a great series.) If you can get a physical copy or emulate it, please give it a shot.

Never even heard of this one so it's definitely underrated. Looks awesome. Is it easier than Punch-Out / Super Punch-Out? I've tried those a bunch of times because I find them very fun, but I never get all that far. I tend to just run them until I lose. I get a lot farther in Super than in the NES one. Usually fall on the third fight on the NES and like the 5th or 6th on the SNES. It might be the only game on the SNES Classic that I never finished in the past.

I've got a HUGE underrated to add here:

1674372053215.png

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is waaaaay better than I think anyone really expected. I enjoyed it more than the last few mainline FF games (including 7R). Now a year later it's getting DLC to wrap up the story. As someone who loves FF1, I got a LOT out of the way this game remakes areas and boss fights from that game. However it also mixes in a lot of nostalgic places from other FF games, and is just a general great time. Was probably the only game I was really able to get into during the post Elden Ring doldrums. At that point in time pretty much everything felt subpar and "not Elden Ring" so for this to break through, it was doing something right.

1674372009390.png

The DLC pits Garland (FF1's villain and the hero of SOP) against the Emperor (FF2's villain) in a clash of present and future. Awesome that it's tying together two FF games like this. And apparently this might lead to future spinoff games that are centered around the villains of the series. Fingers crossed we get one for Kefka at some point, and that they keep tying the series together.

Daidraco

I dont get how you guys think some of these games are underrated. Even as poor as my family was in the 80's and 90's - I had at least heard of them. Even if I never played the game or even had the console, I would hear about them being good. Underrated, I would probably define as something thats good but never gets brought up. Like World of Final Fantasy that was brought up. I remember seeing the preview for it, but I remember thinking the bobble head shit was a huge turn off so I never looked at it again.

Something like "Summoners" where it got great reviews, but like.. no one talks about that game when you think RPG's in that era. Or say Startropics in the NES era - again, a good game - but people remember Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Zelda, over that.

As far as overrated goes? Hear me out, but I agree with the Elden Ring take. I played all through it and such and yea, it is a very solid, beautiful game that will be remembered for quite some time. But think of all the other games that have came out during the "pandemic" and around it. Hell, any content from any type of media during the pandemic has been TRULY overrated. All this fucking hype about TV shows, games, movies, etc. and then you finally watch them and they are just fucking garbage. So in terms of Elden Ring, its still a diamond - but it shines bright as fuck because everything else is fucking mud in comparison.

• 1Like

Caliane

I wonder how Elden ring fanboying would hold up to skyrim if they were closer together. Although I suppose some of it is just different players and playstyles. Elden ring is the rpg for action gamers. Skyrim is the rpg for immersive sim people.

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I never really got the Skyrim hype. I played through some of the side stuff, like the thieves guild and some of that stuff, but the main story wasn't very interesting, the itemization and combat also sucked.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Skyrim never appealed to me either. I've tried on numerous occasions to play it, but I never get past 3 or 4 hours in. I even included a huge suite of the most popular mods and the game looked good, but the core of it just couldn't grab me.

I can't put my finger on it, but the game just feels very hollow.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's the itemization. There's a huge world to explore and you never find any good loot in it.

• 2Like

Daidraco

It's the itemization. There's a huge world to explore and you never find any good loot in it.
I do agree with this take. I think it was Oblivion..? That I played, where I snuck into this one house that had all this glass armor in it and I was like level 3 or something stupid. I save scummed it until I had all of that gear stolen and I was far enough away from the area that I was no longer in danger. Not only that, I could equip it. I mean c'mon, its Glass Armor .. roughly a lvl 30 gear set in Skyrim terms. Knowing that no matter where or what you do in the entire game, you will only get armor thats level appropriate or lower is really kind of depressing. But I played and enjoyed Skyrim for the mini-stories each quest had, not really much else.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Two Underrated arcade games:

Spider-Man: The Video Game by Sega (Arcade)

98644E19-E9CF-4EEB-866F-74E7CF26BA8F.jpeg

Fun beat ‘em up that sometimes transitions to a platform style shooter. Big colorful sprites and characters plus utilized most of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery and even had Dr. Doom as the penultimate boss.

Captain America and the Avengers by Data East (Arcade)

50CFBA37-8C25-4D73-97CD-684E3E0454EE.jpeg

Straight beat ‘em up with a couple of shooting sections. Nice graphics and again used tons of villains, including a Sentinel robot and Juggernaut for some reason.

These were both excellent games if you were a fan of comics in the early 90s. Both were available in 4 player cabinets so you and all your nerd friends could play together.

I call them underrated due to being less memorable than most Capcom beat ‘em ups that were available at the time. But they’re still very fun in their own right and definitely worth your time to emulate if you want to give them a shot.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Two Underrated arcade games:

Spider-Man: The Video Game by Sega (Arcade)

View attachment 455351
Fun beat ‘em up that sometimes transitions to a platform style shooter. Big colorful sprites and characters plus utilized most of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery and even had Dr. Doom as the penultimate boss.

Captain America and the Avengers by Data East (Arcade)

View attachment 455352

Straight beat ‘em up with a couple of shooting sections. Nice graphics and again used tons of villains, including a Sentinel robot and Juggernaut for some reason.

These were both excellent games if you were a fan of comics in the early 90s. Both were available in 4 player cabinets so you and all your nerd friends could play together.

I call them underrated due to being less memorable than most Capcom beat ‘em ups that were available at the time. But they’re still very fun in their own right and definitely worth your time to emulate if you want to give them a shot.

Too bad these didn't make it onto any modern Beat 'Em Up Collections. Seems like they'd be perfect for Switch.

The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Collection was alright, but it had a few oddball games on it that I'd never heard of like Battle Circuit and Captain Commando. I'd have dropped those two and maybe slotted Final Fight 2 and 3 on there instead. Was weird that it only had the first one (maybe the first one was the only one in arcades, IDK). Friend and I plowed most of the Capcom collection and found it actually kinda boring after a while because of the infinite lives (due to being arcade ports). Still a fun collection though and perhaps a little underrated / unknown even if I think it could have been better. It's like $10 digital too I think.

• 1Like