Unreal Engine 4 (free!)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
3hrs spent on:

I'm 13minutes in, and its not working.

I'd be better off getting a 2nd job, and hiring someone to do the work for me. Lol

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing

Imported assets, tried to delete the folder and could not.

Now everything is running slow, and even renaming something is taking 30s or so.

Any ideas?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing

Imported assets, tried to delete the folder and could not.

Now everything is running slow, and even renaming something is taking 30s or so.

Any ideas?

Folder Structure in UE4 is ass. Mainly because of the dependencies and the engine checking to make sure you don't break anything.
Easiest way to organize your assets is to go to the Content Folder for your project using Windows File Explorer and deleting/moving that way (outside the engine). HOWEVER, do NOT do this with assets being used in the game, there can become some cases where your project won't load if some dependencies are broken. I've mainly had this occur with Levels, especially if it's the Default level upon engine load.

Moving things IN the engine often takes a long time. 30s is fast :D If I'm trying to organize without breaking dependencies, I'll execute the move then actually leave the PC for a while while it churns.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Ugh, I have created a bunch of redirectors I cant "fix up" by mistake, and saves are still insanely slow.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ugh, I have created a bunch of redirectors I cant "fix up" by mistake, and saves are still insanely slow.

I never had redirectors that wouldn't "fix up". Maybe restart the engine? idk.
I try to avoid moving assets once I've imported or created them.
I also found that Marketplace assets are best to stay in the top-level of your Content folder, otherwise "updates" to Marketplace assets is a lot more cumbersome.
Makes your directory a large mess but at least the search functions are decent.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
oving assets once I've imported or created them.
I also found that Marketplace assets are best to stay in the top-level of your Content folder, otherwise "updates" to Marketplace assets is a lot more cumbersome.
Makes your directory a large mess but at least the search functions are decent.

Yeah, learning a painful lesson. Looks like I've broken half a dozen things trying to fix the redirectors.

And now getting all kinds of issues.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Pulled all my content, put in a new project, was able to get everything working again in under 10 minutes. Save speed back to normal.

Feels good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Inside Unreal will focus on Valorant performance requirements
Starts now

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Longish video UE4 --> 5 roadmap & behind the scenes at some of the UE5 tech.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Some free stuff!

They probably do that every month but I hadn't noticed till now?
Yup, they've been doing it a while. Started in 2019. Definitely worth it if you ever plan to use the engine. I have $1000s of assets for free from the giveaways.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I try to remember to check in once a month for the freebies

The collaborative tools they showed off months ago are awesome btw

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is there a way to receive notifications when new free marketplace shit comes out? I just want an email that helps me in my quest to accumulate stuff I'll never use.

If only there was a way to set up an email reminder to myself...

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Is there a way to receive notifications when new free marketplace shit comes out? I just want an email that helps me in my quest to accumulate stuff I'll never use.

If only there was a way to set up an email reminder to myself...
Set a recurring reminder, it's monthly. Most months it takes a few days for them to appear. So set a reminder for the middle of every month if you want to be safe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also while you look at the Free Monthly content.

There are 3 other categories of permanently free content, they show in your asset Library after "Purchasing" them:

free.PNG

Epic Games Content:
Has the Paragon assets & Infinity Blade assets, plus other tools. A lot of High Quality assets (Paragon, Kite Demo). The Paragon characters have hundreds of FX in their packages too you can rip out and use elsewhere.

Quixel Megascans is free with Unreal, I recommend using the Megascans Plugin for Unreal so you can browse the full library and select exactly what you want, but the premade packages are less of a hassle.

Permanently Free are assets made by 3rd Parties that Epic has made an arrangement with to distribute for Free - Permanently. Quality is usually good. The types of assets are usually more focused on a specific game topic.

As of this post, their Marketplace seems to be down/struggling btw.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also while you look at the Free Monthly content.

There are 3 other categories of permanently free content, they show in your asset Library after "Purchasing" them:

View attachment 308899

Epic Games Content:
Has the Paragon assets & Infinity Blade assets, plus other tools. A lot of High Quality assets (Paragon, Kite Demo). The Paragon characters have hundreds of FX in their packages too you can rip out and use elsewhere.

Quixel Megascans is free with Unreal, I recommend using the Megascans Plugin for Unreal so you can browse the full library and select exactly what you want, but the premade packages are less of a hassle.

Permanently Free are assets made by 3rd Parties that Epic has made an arrangement with to distribute for Free - Permanently. Quality is usually good. The types of assets are usually more focused on a specific game topic.

As of this post, their Marketplace seems to be down/struggling btw.
On the topic of free art, as a software developed I've always wondered how transferable assets were between modding communities. Ex: GTA 5 Vehicle Mods - GTA5-Mods.com has about a billion different highly detailed vehicles. Nexus Mods :: Home has art from many different games. Is there a lot of effort in the art and art tools community to port stuff between engines?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
On the topic of free art, as a software developed I've always wondered how transferable assets were between modding communities. Ex: GTA 5 Vehicle Mods - GTA5-Mods.com has about a billion different highly detailed vehicles. Nexus Mods :: Home has art from many different games. Is there a lot of effort in the art and art tools community to port stuff between engines?

The Model/Mesh should be no problem to transfer between engines (legalities aside).
Getting the model/mesh to do similar functionality between engines is going to be the biggest work.
You can probably copy "concepts" but will still need to re-program from the ground up for the most part.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't even use the engine but when I see stuff I grab'em anyway. On a whim I bought iClone 7 and Character Creator 3, makes playing around super easy and I find it mostly understandable compared to times I've tried maya or 3ds which always felt like pulling teeth to get something done.