Utnayan backlog challenge: part 2 ends Jan 31

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All the Doom talk in here has made me want to finally get to Doom 64. I got the PS4 HD version as a preorder bonus with Doom Eternal. Have always heard great things about Doom 64 and I think it's the only Doom I haven't played at this point. I played all the Wolfensteins too. I guess I'll throw it on the shortlist.

I'm finally done with RL stuff so time to get started. I put on Modern Warfare (2019) to finally do the campaign mode I've read good things about. First the campaign didn't even start, had an "install suspended" bug. Ended up having to install all of the data packs, even the non-campaign ones, to get the campaign to start. I wish they'd just cut it out with the fragmented downloads and stop doing data packs.

After it spent -all day- patching, campaign finally started...and it didn't work. Screen randomly goes black, can't get more than two minutes or so into the first mission without it happening. Sometimes as early as a few seconds. Looked into it and apparently it's an HDR issue. I'm playing on PS5 (and don't have a PS4 anymore) so that may be the issue since it's fine on PS4. I'm going to go to my other place and test it on my non-HDR TV and see if that fixes it, because I really want to play the game.

Still, regardless of how good Modern Warfare is once you finally get into it and can play it, it's kind of appalling that the publisher released it with all of these problems. Installation problems, compatibility, etc. It's the only PS4 game I've had any issues with at all on PS5. The installation problems are found on XBox as well though, that's an across the board thing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All the Doom talk in here has made me want to finally get to Doom 64. I got the PS4 HD version as a preorder bonus with Doom Eternal. Have always heard great things about Doom 64 and I think it's the only Doom I haven't played at this point. I played all the Wolfensteins too. I guess I'll throw it on the shortlist.

I'm finally done with RL stuff so time to get started. I put on Modern Warfare (2019) to finally do the campaign mode I've read good things about. First the campaign didn't even start, had an "install suspended" bug. Ended up having to install all of the data packs, even the non-campaign ones, to get the campaign to start. I wish they'd just cut it out with the fragmented downloads and stop doing data packs.

After it spent -all day- patching, campaign finally started...and it didn't work. Screen randomly goes black, can't get more than two minutes or so into the first mission without it happening. Sometimes as early as a few seconds. Looked into it and apparently it's an HDR issue. I'm playing on PS5 (and don't have a PS4 anymore) so that may be the issue since it's fine on PS4. I'm going to go to my other place and test it on my non-HDR TV and see if that fixes it, because I really want to play the game.

Still, regardless of how good Modern Warfare is once you finally get into it and can play it, it's kind of appalling that the publisher released it with all of these problems. Installation problems, compatibility, etc. It's the only PS4 game I've had any issues with at all on PS5. The installation problems are found on XBox as well though, that's an across the board thing.
Be appalled, but is it really surprising? We don't ever get a fucking complete game anymore and I feel most devs are dumb as fuck. I expect no game to actually release all that good, and the difference in whether you are good Dev or bad is whether you will listen to your paying customers. Of course, that can backfire as well, but I feel like every single game is released, and then within a year gets massive QOL patch updates. Makes me feel like they don't have a fucking clue what gamers actually want, and just YEET throw it out there knowing they can patch it to fix it. Quite sad. :(

Put a ton of time into Outriders this weekend which wasn't the initial plan. I have still put some time into Metro Last Light so that's still chugging along. A pretty cool story that I want to see through. Call of Juarez will probably be something that I get into this week while in the hotel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Call of Juarez has been on my backlog for like 10 years.
Wrapped up Doom Eternal Ancient gods DLC 1. Absolutely jaw dropping graphics. Decent game play. Moving on to Kingdom come after that.(half way through it)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Took like 9 hours to get through what looks like was actually the intro/tutorial of Valhalla, and now it's introducing me to system after system on top of system for the encampment and all that... no wonder this is a 100 hour game.

I'll finish it.. one day. Need to go finish one of these smaller games on my list so I can at least get on the board this month, lol.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just started Forza 5.

E3AB864B-4ED9-44A1-8D34-20B6FF8C141A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Forza is a lot of fun and quite amazing on xcloud.

I finished Doom Eternal DLC. It was good if you enjoyed doom.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220112_070720.jpg

Finished Mario 64 DS, one of the four games left on the Wii U backlog for me. Trying to clear out this and the 3DS.

This one started out pretty rocky, a worse-looking Mario 64 with worse controls. However around halfway through it, it started to suddenly get really good. Once I had the other characters unlocked, there was lots of new stuff to find. There's also a graphics sharpening mode in the Wii U's virtual console that I eventually found and it made the game a lot nicer to look at.

20220111_234210.jpg

There are also a number of new stages (nothing major, they generally have 1 or 2 stars, but it's something) and new bosses, which was pretty cool. All in all I'm glad I played it again for the nostalgia and to see the new stuff. Any future Mario 64 plays will be the original version though.

20211204_224512.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220112_205535.jpg

Finished Wave Race 64, did normal and hard championships. Got this alongside Mario 64 DS on the Wii U because I remember them being the Big Two N64 games for a while in the first year and I never played Wave Race 64. Unfortunately I found it much harder than, say, Mario Kart, so I just backlogged it.

20220112_204753.jpg

Got to it for real today and it's a super fun game with impressive visuals, especially for 1996. Hard to believe this was 3 years removed from stuff like Star Fox being cutting edge visually.

I did find it a little on the frustrating side though. The stages have a lot of hairpin corners, the tracks often aren't well-marked, and one mistake late in a track can send you from "holding first place with ease" to "suddenly in an unrecoverable 4th".

20220112_215143.jpg

No trophies obviously but here's one of the championship screens where I got 1st place.

Two Wii U games left but both are super long RPGs so I'll get to those when I'm in the mood. Going after either Spirit Tracks or Super Paper Mario next since I'm on this Nintendo kick at the moment.

20211204_224512.jpg

Last edited:

Crone

Didn't play nearly as many games this past week in the hotel as I thought I would. Then yesterday my Ps5 got dropped off by UPS, and I loaded up Horizon: Zero Dawn. Looking to finish that before the new one drops. Super invested into the Metro story as well, so will probably end up putting some hours into that as well.

So many games, so little time.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
52F7FFAB-C958-4E9D-AA71-94846A9E76C1.jpeg

Been about 10 years since I played REACH. It is an amazing game if you haven’t played it. This was the 360 version but it’s also on gamepass for MCC for free.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Didn't play nearly as many games this past week in the hotel as I thought I would. Then yesterday my Ps5 got dropped off by UPS, and I loaded up Horizon: Zero Dawn. Looking to finish that before the new one drops. Super invested into the Metro story as well, so will probably end up putting some hours into that as well.

So many games, so little time.

I still have to get to Horizon. Got it for free when I worked for Gamestop. Was gonna do it before the sequel came out, but after seeing what Aloy looks like in the sequel, I think I'll just stick to the original, no rush on it now. At least Genshin Impact still has a feminine Aloy, leave it to Japan to keep feminine game characters alive.

/editorial off

20220115_065010.jpg

20220115_065020.jpg

Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Decent game, a lot more linear than I expected though. Note how the news media in the game correctly reports on large-scale riots and Big Pharma being criticized, two things that never happen in the real world in 2020/2021. That's right, a few seconds of this cutscene demonstrates that the news media in the dystopian future game is more accurate than the news media in the present.

/editorial off

Plowing the sequel now.

20220115_183214.jpg

20211204_224512.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I still have to get to Horizon. Got it for free when I worked for Gamestop. Was gonna do it before the sequel came out, but after seeing what Aloy looks like in the sequel, I think I'll just stick to the original, no rush on it now. At least Genshin Impact still has a feminine Aloy, leave it to Japan to keep feminine game characters alive.

/editorial off

View attachment 393113
View attachment 393114
Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Decent game, a lot more linear than I expected though. Note how the news media in the game correctly reports on large-scale riots and Big Pharma being criticized, two things that never happen in the real world in 2020/2021. That's right, a few seconds of this cutscene demonstrates that the news media in the dystopian future game is more accurate than the news media in the present.

/editorial off

Plowing the sequel now.

View attachment 393115
View attachment 393116
Great game I love Deus ex.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Great game I love Deus ex.

Yeah it's definitely an awesome world. Playing Mankind Divided now which I think got bad reviews IIRC, or at least mediocre scores. It definitely seems more "generic" than Human Revolution so far, think I'm around halfway through it since I started it before Human Revolution was done. They got rid of the Pee Filter for visuals which I'm not sure if I approve of, cause at least it made HR look unique.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah it's definitely an awesome world. Playing Mankind Divided now which I think got bad reviews IIRC, or at least mediocre scores. It definitely seems more "generic" than Human Revolution so far, think I'm around halfway through it since I started it before Human Revolution was done. They got rid of the Pee Filter for visuals which I'm not sure if I approve of, cause at least it made HR look unique.
It’s alright just sucks because the game clearly was cut off and not completed. I still have fond memories of them.

Crone

Outriders was on the list to beat Coop with my son, or whoever, but I think I may have to drop it for now. My son is the main person I'm playing with and he just doesn't get the team play aspect of it at all. In any of the many encounters, I'm rezzing him 5 to 1 at least. He just YEET's in as a Devastator, which you kind of have to do in order to get kills/heals, but it's just not working. Turns into an hour+ of frustration rather than some fun Coop action.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220116_040107.jpg

20220116_040135.jpg

Mankind Divided was okay but I can safely say the bloom is off the rose in this one, playing them back to back. It flew by, can tell it was unfinished. I liked the last Prague level with the pouring rain, that was pretty rad.

20211204_224512.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220116_180153.jpg

Finished Samurai Warriors 5. GREAT game, better than the last few musuo games I played. There are two main campaigns, finished one and it took about 13 hours. Good for now but I might revisit it in the future for the plat.

20220116_180637.jpg

Nobunaga was the campaign I played. Looks like the other one is just an alternate perspective rather than an opposing faction.

20220116_180526.jpg

Mained this chick, seen here in BJ-recieving position.

20220116_180604.jpg

Super fun game and I wrapped it up before it had a chance to get old/boring, as musuo games tend to do eventually if you overdo it. I think I might go back and play Dynasty Warriors 8 and 9 to catch up with that series. I hear 8 is great and 9 is pretty bad so maybe I'll do them in backwards order.

Next up: Spirit Tracks and Resident Evil 1+2

20211204_224512.jpg