Utnayan backlog challenge: part 2 ends Jan 31

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shit, we got some people stepping up!! Gotta get my game time innnnn!!

In a hotel Mon-Thursday night the next month, and so I'm looking at games I can stream. Xbox or Stadia. Might continue with Yakuza: Like a Dragon on Xbox Cloud.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
or Stadia.
James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lol... rolling around in a hotel every weekday, busy on the weekends, and gaming ADHD means I ain't got time to download 80 gig games all the time.
Have you not tried out xcloud?

Crone

Have you not tried out xcloud?
That's why I said Xbox or Stadia breh. XCloud works amazingly as well and is how I was playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon the other day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 391203
View attachment 391204

This was alright, definitely wouldn't get made today which adds to the enjoyment. Early part was better before enemies got tanked up and you had to remove armour to get headshots.
The original never released on PC, stuck in PS3 / X360 limbo otherwise I'd look at giving it a crack too.

View attachment 391205

What about it wouldn't get made today? That gets me interested.

I have Darkness and Darkness 2 on PS3, got both at a yard sale for like $3 each. Most of my remaining PS3/XBox/PS2 games were from that same one yard sale. Not sure if I consider them backlog so much as "a bunch of cool stuff I got for almost nothing".

I'll be back in this thread soon, working on a move. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are on the immediate chopping block, plus Modern Warfare and Samurai Warriors 5.

Crone

“Working from home” tomorrow. Goal is to beat the story for Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Metro Last Light by end of the weekend!

• 1Like

yaph

Molten Core Raider
been playing Doom Eternal too. Knocked out the first five and a half acts on nightmare before I had to wave the white flag and drop the difficulty down a level.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
been playing Doom Eternal too. Knocked out the first five and a half acts on nightmare before I had to wave the white flag and drop the difficulty down a level.
Yeah kind of bummed there’s not a difficulty achievement

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's worth noting how amazing Doom 2016 is when Doom Eternal can be a notable step in the wrong direction from 2016 and still be a great game.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
What about it wouldn't get made today? That gets me interested.

I have Darkness and Darkness 2 on PS3, got both at a yard sale for like $3 each. Most of my remaining PS3/XBox/PS2 games were from that same one yard sale. Not sure if I consider them backlog so much as "a bunch of cool stuff I got for almost nothing".

I'll be back in this thread soon, working on a move. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are on the immediate chopping block, plus Modern Warfare and Samurai Warriors 5.

It stood out as a game made before developers cared about being offensive or inclusive. Whether that's italian stereotypes, the edgy toilet humour of the Darkling (ai assistant), mob guys quipping how retards like the zoo, the treatment of women, the mentally ill, physically disabled etc. It isn't making a stand on any of that, but deals with it the same way an 80's or 90's action movie does. The same game would not be made today, it would be neutered and bastardized. It's a faithful adaption of a 90's comic and since it released in 2012, there is no gamergate baggage getting in the way of the story it's trying to tell.

The level design does feel dated and limited by the console hardware at the time, but the gameplay and abilities makes up for it. I wouldn't call it a must play but you wouldn't regret giving it a go either if you can tolerate the framerate on PS3. These would get a new life if they added them to the FPS boost program for Xbox.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's worth noting how amazing Doom 2016 is when Doom Eternal can be a notable step in the wrong direction from 2016 and still be a great game.
Oof I so wanted to be like “stfu Gavin and your usual negative Nancy postings” but you are spot on my dude. I was thoroughly loving the game until chapter 3 the citadel and it has literally turned into Myst or puzzle doom. Hopefully this changes.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>

This. I'm also in the middle of it, and enjoying it. But jesus, they somehow made it even MORE of a frenetic spam-fest than the first.

Still willing to pay $$ for a modern engine remake of DOOM and DOOM2. Fast-paced old-style is better than the frenetic melee and cooldown management style.

As for relevant things, I'm hoping to finish Doom Eternal and Assassin's Creed Odyssey this month.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This. I'm also in the middle of it, and enjoying it. But jesus, they somehow made it even MORE of a frenetic spam-fest than the first.

Still willing to pay $$ for a modern engine remake of DOOM and DOOM2. Fast-paced old-style is better than the frenetic melee and cooldown management style.

As for relevant things, I'm hoping to finish Doom Eternal and Assassin's Creed Odyssey this month.
Ok definitely loving it now I got past that citadel level. I’m getting old doom/Duke nukem vibes in the city.

• 1Solidarity

yaph

Molten Core Raider
1641675934516.png

1641675927539.png

As others have said, Doom Eternal is a great FPS. As a Doom 2016 sequel, its a 7/10. The action is solid and challenging. I could have done without the jumping "puzzles", over reliance of glory kills for resources, and at least one or two cool down abilities.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
View attachment 391895

View attachment 391893

As others have said, Doom Eternal is a great FPS. As a Doom 2016 sequel, its a 7/10. The action is solid and challenging. I could have done without the jumping "puzzles", over reliance of glory kills for resources, and at least one or two cool down abilities.

1641694722306.png

AA65A989-AFFA-4DB4-8127-6483F91A5283.jpeg

heh same day

Man what a beautiful game on a 3090. Playing this with max frames was amazing.
The jumping around shit definitely ruined it for me at times but still a great game. 7/10 because of the Parkour.

1641694722306.png

• 2Like

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
MaxPayne3.JPG

MaxPayneComplete.JPG

CompletedCropped.png

Fun ride, hit different from what I remember. Should have come back to this sooner. I really liked the weapon wheel system and animations. Can hold a maximum of three guns, eg 1911, Uzi, FAL. Say I'm using the Uzi, then the 1911 is shoulder holstered and he's holding the FAL by the handguard in his off hand. Time to reload the Uzi? tucks the FAL under his arm for a moment. Want to dual wield the Uzi and 1911? Sure, but now you've discarded the FAL. Was a small detail but liked this simplified inventory instead of pulling a bunch of guns out of his ass.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
View attachment 392027

View attachment 392028

View attachment 392030

Fun ride, hit different from what I remember. Should have come back to this sooner. I really liked the weapon wheel system and animations. Can hold a maximum of three guns, eg 1911, Uzi, FAL. Say I'm using the Uzi, then the 1911 is shoulder holstered and he's holding the FAL by the handguard in his off hand. Time to reload the Uzi? tucks the FAL under his arm for a moment. Want to dual wield the Uzi and 1911? Sure, but now you've discarded the FAL. Was a small detail but liked this simplified inventory instead of pulling a bunch of guns out of his ass.
Great game. Definitely underrated at the time it came out. The story was awesome.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I did a thing today
1641752779671.png

Actually really enjoyed this once it started to get rolling.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users