V Rising

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Go to the human camps. They drop like candy there in certain ones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don’t get how these games have much longevity for people.
Most survival games are something you play for a couple weeks, maybe even a month or two, "beat" it, and then shelve it for a few months until new content is added. Then you do it all again 6 months later, 1 year later, whatever. Similar to a game like No Man's Sky.

I mean, think of your typical RPG. Do you replay it 47 times after you beat it? Most don't. Many either never play it again or wait a bit before doing another playthrough. How many games of Civ have you played? Just one? I bet not. I'm betting you've played dozens throughout the years, going back every now and then. How about Elden Ring? I bet you'll never revisit it from time to time, eh?

I guess I just don't understand the expectation of "longevity" out of these games. Are people expecting an MMO?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Most survival games are something you play for a couple weeks, maybe even a month or two, "beat" it, and then shelve it for a few months until new content is added. Then you do it all again 6 months later, 1 year later, whatever. Similar to a game like No Man's Sky.

I mean, think of your typical RPG. Do you replay it 47 times after you beat it? Most don't. Many either never play it again or wait a bit before doing another playthrough. How many games of Civ have you played? Just one? I bet not. I'm betting you've played dozens throughout the years, going back every now and then. How about Elden Ring? I bet you'll never revisit it from time to time, eh?

I guess I just don't understand the expectation of "longevity" out of these games. Are people expecting an MMO?
Yeah pretty much, play it until you either beat it, or play the shit out of it till boredom, then you put it down. Maybe to try again when some new content is added, maybe exp pack? What helps in some cases is if there is a generated world, not a set map. Kinda like in Valheim. Leads to maybe more replayability than a game like Conan that has a set world you explore one and done.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Fun little game. Pretty solid for early access.

I started a local server and the game choked on it after loading it back up. Verifying the game files in Steam fixed it. Other issues like the dumb camera is something they'll get around to fixing I am sure.

Half a million copies sold so far.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah pretty much, play it until you either beat it, or play the shit out of it till boredom, then you put it down. Maybe to try again when some new content is added, maybe exp pack? What helps in some cases is if there is a generated world, not a set map. Kinda like in Valheim. Leads to maybe more replayability than a game like Conan that has a set world you explore one and done.
Yeah, that's one of the flaws of V Rising so far is that the map is "fixed", same with boss locations. It'd be nice if they eventually allowed for that to be randomized a bit. I understand the bandit armorer has to be in the bandit armory, but allow the bandit armory itself to be randomly located.

Caliane

I feel most of these survival base builders are flawed. And I'm waiting/looking for that unicorn game.

Things I want to see in them. A terraria style alternative progression. Many of these are frustratingly linear. stone tools, copper tools, iron tools, etc. not just the same fucking items in every game. none are even clever enough to have oil lamps, or beeswax candles instead of torches. But like terraria.. which has boss drops, mob drops, chests, biome drops, etc. and multiple biomes which each have unique item sets. but then "classes" by those drops. bee gun from queen bee. meteorite gun from meteors, etc.

like, just picked up Keplerth as well. pretty solid top down terraria like. but all too linear, in its current build.
This is an issue with Valhiem as well. very linear. can't find any swamp dungeons? too bad. keep looking. (I do think you can technically skip, and cheese ice biome, or just play careful and go to plains.) but thats not like terraria where you can just skip ice biome, or sand, or queen bee, or sky, etc. Terraria has multiple bosses, or biomes that drop the same tier items as others.

colonists. base building is interesting in one of two scenarios. A. you can show it off to other players. thats the entire point of being creative. other people need to see it. tons of games with basebuilding really fail this aspect. things like path of exile, most mmos with it. ok great. but, theres no real reason for anyone to ever actually visit your base. B. your colony should be "alive". kenshi, rimworld, fo 4, dq builders, etc. giving the base, npcs that need to eat, sleep, and work to provide automation is a great way to make basebuilding feel more important. the more "lifelike" the npcs are, the more the player will be enticed to be creative in the basebuilding to accomidate them.

Either proc gen world that means new experiances every play. (terraria again, or 7 days to die, etc.), or just a very large hand crafted world, that takes multiple play throughs to really explore. kenshi.

Kenshis "dynamic" world is also a great feature more games like this could have. the factions, etc.

terraria's proc gen has multiple layers to add replay. first just the basic world gen. But, also, because there's elements that don't even spawn every gen. corruption vs crimson. the metals which also, are either/or.

I only scratched the surface, so have no idea if it does have anything like it..
I think this game needs a "world progression" system.
start a new server. vampires have been gone for 800 years, humans have let their guard down. as players kill a few V bosses. alert rises. stage 2. more guards. more patrols. stage 3. humans start wearing garlic necklaces, idle talk of vampires, more/stronger guards, less humans outside at night. stage 3. hunters patrol. npcs start weilding anti-vampire weapons. other elements increase more. stage 4. adventure's patrol the woods looking for vampire crypts. call in adventure raids on sight. stage 5. inquisition patrols, guards, and raids.

and local versions of that as well. like say the copper mine. a player raids it, guards at it should increase for 3 days. another raid, increased guards again.

oh, and I also hate pvp in these things. world would need to be HUGE for it to work imho, and its never big enough. the worlds always too small, and finding other players bases is too easy. then raiding them with more people or while offline. where is the fun in that? none of these game ever seem to address it. I see one of two solutions. 1. design it so, bases are intended to be raided. and players can build traps, guards, etc. and the base itself literally regenerates. like have worker npcs, who will rebuild walls, etc. I think the raiding should be designed to be a get in and get out as well. like, walls being rebuilt, npc guards continuously respawning, escalating. and, the no teleporting/carry weight works into this good as well. can only grab as much as you can carry. With a limited time to attack, hiding your loot behind traps, guards, or under floors/behind walls, etc, becomes a game.
2. stealth. smaller bases should basically be literally invisible. maybe some kind of item or perception stat to stumble over them. but mostly, straight up invisible. hidden caves obscured by a rock, etc. Stashes along the same route. players should be able to create stashes/caches under rocks, or in tree hollows, to hide items. to other players these rocks/trees just look like normal trees/rocks. until they just randomly decide to harvest it. Or, possibly these secret stashes should also just be invisible. giving players a means to keep a stash of items thats virtually impossible to steal.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Am I missing something on getting the stone walls/floors?

I assume I need the grinder... which needs 4 whetstones. whetstones need 12 stonedust each.
the grinder crafts stonedust I assume?

so... am I just waiting on dumb luck of whetstones or 48 stonedust just dropping from human npcs?

The Grinder / Whetstone was the 2nd instance of a "not really smooth progression" feeling. It confused me for a second but at the Altar there is a hunt for the guy that gives the recipe for the Whetstones. Just because you can see the recipe in your Forge doesn't mean you can make it. Doing the hunt for him provided me with both the stone dust and the whetstones, plus the recipe to make more. So it all worked out without much problem, but initially, like a few other things, the jump isn't straightforward.

Caliane

The Grinder / Whetstone was the 2nd instance of a "not really smooth progression" feeling. It confused me for a second but at the Altar there is a hunt for the guy that gives the recipe for the Whetstones. Just because you can see the recipe in your Forge doesn't mean you can make it. Doing the hunt for him provided me with both the stone dust and the whetstones, plus the recipe to make more. So it all worked out without much problem, but initially, like a few other things, the jump isn't straightforward.
oh, I didnt even realize if I got the mats, I still wouldn't be able to craft them, till I got that guy. ( I did see that guy in the list)
am I correct that stone blocks are from the grinder?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
oh, I didnt even realize if I got the mats, I still wouldn't be able to craft them, till I got that guy. ( I did see that guy in the list)
am I correct that stone blocks are from the grinder?
Correct, the dust is a byproduct of the brick:

1653230941631.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Things I want to see in them. A terraria style alternative progression. Many of these are frustratingly linear. stone tools, copper tools, iron tools, etc. not just the same fucking items in every game. none are even clever enough to have oil lamps, or beeswax candles instead of torches. But like terraria.. which has boss drops, mob drops, chests, biome drops, etc. and multiple biomes which each have unique item sets. but then "classes" by those drops. bee gun from queen bee. meteorite gun from meteors, etc.
Conan had some of this actual exploration with bosses and boss loot. Of course it wasnt like WOW itemization, but it had some of this shit. Even items that dropped from certain bosses to craft better armor, for instance dragon bone. But the thing I hated about Conan was it was kinda one and done. These games NEED random generation, at least IMO. It would make replayability 200% better.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I feel like a lot of aspects of this game would have made for a great MMO. It looks like it's got fantastic PvP for an isometric RPG game, for instance.

Fucker

Log Wizard
the first thing you do after leaving the crypt is cross a stream of running water. 0/10 game, going to refund.
I noticed the NPC's don't sort their treasure chests.

Quit. Uninstalled.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It looks like it's got fantastic PvP for an isometric RPG game, for instance.
Not a surprise. They did a great job with Battle-rite and it's too bad that game didn't get more attention.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel most of these survival base builders are flawed. And I'm waiting/looking for that unicorn game.

like, just picked up Keplerth as well. pretty solid top down terraria like. but all too linear, in its current build.
This is an issue with Valhiem as well. very linear. can't find any swamp dungeons? too bad. keep looking. (I do think you can technically skip, and cheese ice biome, or just play careful and go to plains.) but thats not like terraria where you can just skip ice biome, or sand, or queen bee, or sky, etc. Terraria has multiple bosses, or biomes that drop the same tier items as others.

colonists. base building is interesting in one of two scenarios. A. you can show it off to other players. thats the entire point of being creative. other people need to see it. tons of games with basebuilding really fail this aspect. things like path of exile, most mmos with it. ok great. but, theres no real reason for anyone to ever actually visit your base. B. your colony should be "alive". kenshi, rimworld, fo 4, dq builders, etc. giving the base, npcs that need to eat, sleep, and work to provide automation is a great way to make basebuilding feel more important. the more "lifelike" the npcs are, the more the player will be enticed to be creative in the basebuilding to accomidate them.

Either proc gen world that means new experiances every play. (terraria again, or 7 days to die, etc.), or just a very large hand crafted world, that takes multiple play throughs to really explore. kenshi.

Kenshis "dynamic" world is also a great feature more games like this could have. the factions, etc.

terraria's proc gen has multiple layers to add replay. first just the basic world gen. But, also, because there's elements that don't even spawn every gen. corruption vs crimson. the metals which also, are either/or.

I only scratched the surface, so have no idea if it does have anything like it..
I think this game needs a "world progression" system.
start a new server. vampires have been gone for 800 years, humans have let their guard down. as players kill a few V bosses. alert rises. stage 2. more guards. more patrols. stage 3. humans start wearing garlic necklaces, idle talk of vampires, more/stronger guards, less humans outside at night. stage 3. hunters patrol. npcs start weilding anti-vampire weapons. other elements increase more. stage 4. adventure's patrol the woods looking for vampire crypts. call in adventure raids on sight. stage 5. inquisition patrols, guards, and raids.

and local versions of that as well. like say the copper mine. a player raids it, guards at it should increase for 3 days. another raid, increased guards again.

oh, and I also hate pvp in these things. world would need to be HUGE for it to work imho, and its never big enough. the worlds always too small, and finding other players bases is too easy. then raiding them with more people or while offline. where is the fun in that? none of these game ever seem to address it. I see one of two solutions. 1. design it so, bases are intended to be raided. and players can build traps, guards, etc. and the base itself literally regenerates. like have worker npcs, who will rebuild walls, etc. I think the raiding should be designed to be a get in and get out as well. like, walls being rebuilt, npc guards continuously respawning, escalating. and, the no teleporting/carry weight works into this good as well. can only grab as much as you can carry. With a limited time to attack, hiding your loot behind traps, guards, or under floors/behind walls, etc, becomes a game.
2. stealth. smaller bases should basically be literally invisible. maybe some kind of item or perception stat to stumble over them. but mostly, straight up invisible. hidden caves obscured by a rock, etc. Stashes along the same route. players should be able to create stashes/caches under rocks, or in tree hollows, to hide items. to other players these rocks/trees just look like normal trees/rocks. until they just randomly decide to harvest it. Or, possibly these secret stashes should also just be invisible. giving players a means to keep a stash of items thats virtually impossible to steal.
Need to be able to make an underground base. I was watching MorrolanTV play this on a pvp server. His group sieged another teams base, got inside, but didn't have the Key necessary to take over the base (didn't know they would need this), and so the doors/walls all regenerated and locked them inside. They had to suicide and run back to get their stuff. Interesting thing was that the base was built on a bottleneck such that it blocked access to a rather large area behind it that had lots of resources. Their plan then was to take over that base, but make the bottleneck base into a series of doors / walls so that an enemy siege would need many golems to get passed, while they built their second (main) base in another spot in the resource rich area.

• 1Like

Caliane

player gen caves was def one of my suggestions for conan.

do walls regen in this?
reddit v rising seige discussion
this suggests otherwise? i started solo pve, so no idea really how it works here. Like I said, I basically given up on pvp in these things, i think they basically get it wrong from the ground up. they keep making the same mistakes over and over. in the real world, you can defend a "base" becuase you live there 24/7. in game, you don't. so, base pvp needs to accommodate that fact, so its not just always raiding empty undefended bases. some advocate for raid times, or war declarations ala Eve online.. which are better then nothing, but still force you into basically being "on call" for the game, to be able to show up.
Personally, I would go for the pvp+ pve design. like mobile games use for clash of clans, etc type shit. As noted, any damage should auto repair. (can be a cost, like putting giving iron/stone, etc into a chest, and the servants will drain it to repair.) Raiding a base, shouldn't literally steal that players items. it should be extra rewards. rewards tiering up with players defenses, and castle tier. maybe even literally based on what the target has in storage. but generated. Conversely, a defending player should ALSO get rewards on how well their defenses do. The weakness here is this doesn't directly allow for land capture. so, likely some kind of system for that would be needed. but, those systems can be dangerously abused. its a tough one.

Cybsled

Ya, fuck offline raiding. It’s a shit mechanic in every online game and in games that have it, I usually picked servers that disabled it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

the idea of a dread vampire, spending its time fishing to feed prisoners and servants is such a silly thing.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
seriously, you get some 100%'s and you treat those people like royalty

• 1Like