Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
The wind mechanic is very much aids.

It can be super annoying. I spent the other night trying to get back to my corpse with a headwind for about 30 minutes. All I could do was put it at 1 speed for the slow as hell paddle and wait for the wind to change directions. I ended up just lodging my W key down and doing things on other monitor while I looked over to steer on occasion.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
G-Portal seems to be user friendly. I haven't had any issues yet. 🙂
same...no issues with G-portal

5 friends attempted Bonemass tonight, my wife and I EQ and EQ2 raiders used to organization and pre planning.

Two younger (Early 20) players that have more experience with present day games.

One complete new player.

45 min fight, got him to about 8 percent. Lots of deaths and swearing to the game and each other. (Not geared correctly)

Everything either broken or lost or destroyed.

Rage quits and vows to never play again by some.

Excellent time all around. 10/10 -Highly recommend

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Played for a few hours tonight, just to get my feet wet. Died about 10 times, but I can see the appeal of the game. Wound up making an axe and a shield, and some troll armor. Couldn't seem to get enough leather scraps to make a bow yet. The character animations are almost straight EQ, but the lighting and the environments are actually quite beautiful. Can't wait to get back in the world tomorrow!

Special thanks to McFly for the server invite, and for the couple of people who hooked me up with some items (sorry, I'm bad with names)!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I gave you the troll armor that they hooked me up when I started playing. Need the cape for that sneak bonus.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It can be super annoying. I spent the other night trying to get back to my corpse with a headwind for about 30 minutes. All I could do was put it at 1 speed for the slow as hell paddle and wait for the wind to change directions. I ended up just lodging my W key down and doing things on other monitor while I looked over to steer on occasion.

Then you didn't prepare for a death that far away. Imagine dieing in crushbone as a not rebound erudite.

btw, Q is autorun (although without steering, I made a g-key input for holding down W already back in Subnautica) but once you're paddling first gear, why would you need to hold down W?

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Then you didn't prepare for a death that far away. Imagine dieing in crushbone as a not rebound erudite.

btw, Q is autorun (although without steering, I made a g-key input for holding down W already back in Subnautica) but once you're paddling first gear, why would you need to hold down W?
Same thing happened to me.

Spent extra 10 minutes getting somewhere due to shit wind conditions only to instantly die
when I get to where I wanted to go due to a troll running across the forest to kill me.

imo they should change it so there's always a minimum amount of wind, it's just a matter of maxing the wind you get. Sitting nearly still for 10 minutes is just not fun design when you're trying to get somewhere.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Really enjoying this game with my son. Every night has been a mix of grindy development punctuated by moments of terror and laughter. It is rare for us to play a game we both don’t know about. We just entered the Bronze Age and are loving cruising around in our new ship. We made an awesome base carved out of rock with a moat and a “jump pad” to get in via the roof. It’s so fun.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Finally got the hang of proper a chimney. I'll probably refine it later. I'm starting to suspect I can make heating ducts work, but I haven't gone past 3 stories yet. No I haven't progressed past first boss yet, I'll probably get off my ass soon, so I can have more building materials. So involved with seeing how far I can take building system first.

chimney2.jpg
chimney1.jpg

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Same thing happened to me.

Spent extra 10 minutes getting somewhere due to shit wind conditions only to instantly die
when I get to where I wanted to go due to a troll running across the forest to kill me.

imo they should change it so there's always a minimum amount of wind, it's just a matter of maxing the wind you get. Sitting nearly still for 10 minutes is just not fun design when you're trying to get somewhere.
There already is. First gear is rowing, that works straight upwind.

Workerbee

Molten Core Raider
On all ships:
You can row backwards at 1 speed
Forwards at 1 speed
The other two speeds forward are dependant on the wind.

So yeah, holding down the W key on the boats is no use unless you never get headwind.

After you have a heading, you can let go of the tiller and dance around while you sail.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
On all ships:
You can row backwards at 1 speed
Forwards at 1 speed
The other two speeds forward are dependant on the wind.

So yeah, holding down the W key on the boats is no use unless you never get headwind.

After you have a heading, you can let go of the tiller and dance around while you sail.
Ok thats good to know.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
... why did you do that?

A few tips to help those who are sailing.

#1 you don't have to hold W, ever. There are three speeds, and they operates differently depending on which boat you're in and where the wind is. Click W once and you are paddling. You will see an indicator that has one tick. Hit W again and you're at the medium speed, half sails. You can be roughly 50% into the wind and make forward progress in this model. Click W a final time and you are full sail, full speed, but you can't go directly into the wind. I mean think about it.

#2 DON'T GO STRAIGHT TO YOUR DESTINATION! Think about how fucking planes work if boats are too hard. You go with the jet stream and avoid storms. If the wind is against you for 30 minutes straight (it changes often, there's no chance this happened, but anyway...) go at a 45 degree angle at half sails. You will go faster than paddling (1 speed) directly into the wind. Alternately go at a 90 degree angle north or south, at full sails, until the wind changes. Spoiler alert, the wind will fucking change.

#3 I'm only in the 3rd boat, but it seems that the better the boat, the faster you can go almost straight into the wind. I'm not able to go from nothing to full sails in headwind in the 3rd boat, but I don't expect it to. You can do half sails about 25% into a head wind, but again, why would you do that when you can zig zag at full sails and move twice as fast?!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I believe I learned about Tacking in Uncharted Waters.

it doesn't feel as effective here in game, as it is in real life though.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
... why did you do that?

A few tips to help those who are sailing.

#1 you don't have to hold W, ever. There are three speeds, and they operates differently depending on which boat you're in and where the wind is. Click W once and you are paddling. You will see an indicator that has one tick. Hit W again and you're at the medium speed, half sails. You can be roughly 50% into the wind and make forward progress in this model. Click W a final time and you are full sail, full speed, but you can't go directly into the wind. I mean think about it.

#2 DON'T GO STRAIGHT TO YOUR DESTINATION! Think about how fucking planes work if boats are too hard. You go with the jet stream and avoid storms. If the wind is against you for 30 minutes straight (it changes often, there's no chance this happened, but anyway...) go at a 45 degree angle at half sails. You will go faster than paddling (1 speed) directly into the wind. Alternately go at a 90 degree angle north or south, at full sails, until the wind changes. Spoiler alert, the wind will fucking change.

#3 I'm only in the 3rd boat, but it seems that the better the boat, the faster you can go almost straight into the wind. I'm not able to go from nothing to full sails in headwind in the 3rd boat, but I don't expect it to. You can do half sails about 25% into a head wind, but again, why would you do that when you can zig zag at full sails and move twice as fast?!
yeah, tacking is key for this. It's really a decent sailing sim when on the water except for just being able to barrel through storms at full sail.

I would add a #4 to your list that the raft is for emergencies and to just figure out that there is and how to use sailing, is doesn't have a lot of utility beyond those and is painfully slow. The second boat rowing is usually about as fast as the raft with wind.