Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea it's crazy how much I think about this game. Every time I think about it, I end up thinking I've got shit to do in the garage OR I'll just fire up a different game and play for 30 minutes because it's too hard to get into this one for short bursts. I should just start chopping down trees in valheim when I'm bored for a short period of time. That was relaxing as fuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, looking forward to getting back to this one day, Icarus scratching that itch for now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Has there been any movement in terms of content since the initial release? Me and the boys went pretty hard on this out the gate and did everything there was to do then it slowly dropped off as we lost interest in expanding the castles we build.

100% would dive back in if the populated some of the empty biomes etc.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Not enough, next big update is probably worth giving it another go. Mistlands and caves in mountains or something coming soon (tm).

I'm guessing by the fall this year will be when I dive back in.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I'm enjoying Icarus. The big thing with it unlike a game like Valheim is it's session based. You drop down onto the planet, you got x time (everything from 6 real time hours to 30 days) to complete some objectives and then you blast off. No persistent base, you do your job and then get currency to unlock things that make the next job easier (axe, armor, move speed, etc). I play it with 2-4 other people, the first person to join an established prospect (what they call missions) is the host and then it's just a peer to peer game.

Being session based also lets some friends just join for a prospect rather than joining a Valheim world you've spent 100 hours on. Icarus does have a persistent 'outpost' mode on it's own map you can build on indefinitely, but don't really enjoy that as much for a few reasons.

You can speed run the missions if you really want, or you can chill and overbuild and do them at your leisure. As long as you don't miss the real life timer on every mission - if you do your character is deleted.

In the last week or so I passed my total playtime in Valheim (145h) in Icarus (163h).

Will drop a couple screenshots and bump the Icarus thread - Icarus (Survival, Rocketwerkz)

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I’ve been looking for a dedicated open valheim server that was more in the vein of Minecraft hosting. The people I played this with were literally across the country/world, we hooked up whenever we could to flesh out a pretty impressive series of bases, but now everyone stopped due to the lack of updates and i hate playing games like this ‘alone.’ anyone know a resource for finding something like a dedicated open server? I checked out Reddit a few times but outside of a few old new-server advertisements, didn’t turn up much.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm enjoying Icarus. The big thing with it unlike a game like Valheim is it's session based. You drop down onto the planet, you got x time (everything from 6 real time hours to 30 days) to complete some objectives and then you blast off. No persistent base, you do your job and then get currency to unlock things that make the next job easier (axe, armor, move speed, etc). I play it with 2-4 other people, the first person to join an established prospect (what they call missions) is the host and then it's just a peer to peer game.

Being session based also lets some friends just join for a prospect rather than joining a Valheim world you've spent 100 hours on. Icarus does have a persistent 'outpost' mode on it's own map you can build on indefinitely, but don't really enjoy that as much for a few reasons.

You can speed run the missions if you really want, or you can chill and overbuild and do them at your leisure. As long as you don't miss the real life timer on every mission - if you do your character is deleted.

In the last week or so I passed my total playtime in Valheim (145h) in Icarus (163h).

Will drop a couple screenshots and bump the Icarus thread - Icarus (Survival, Rocketwerkz)
Icarus to me, sounds like some type of rogue game with survival attributes (not really tacked on, as its part of the dungeon "so to speak"). I figured I would wait a bit more and let it get some polish since I usually binge through those games, and since Icarus is also "seasonal", that it would be good to wait until a week or two before the next season to get started with it for a real long chunk of content.

Valheim should have just let people mod the fuck out of the game. Them being slow af with updates and not really giving mod support (outside of outright breaking the game to alter it) just caused the game to kind of fade to black for a lot of people.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I purchased Valheim a few weeks ago. Been going solo.

I worked my way up to fully upgraded iron equipment, took over an abandoned village that was on the coast in the meadows sandwiched between some patches of black forest. Currently have some large vegetable gardens, apiary, rasberry patch and a one star boar farm. Built a huge moat and wall around it all as well.

Built a big workshops building attached to an existing tower and now I am working on a full blown castle on top of a nearby hill. I am using a large stone deposit to make a cave that sits under the keep, since those and copper deposits will float if you fully excavate under them/leave the top layer intact.

I would probably have finished the game a while ago if I was focused on taking out bosses, but just building shit and making it look decent is too much of a draw to even care how long it takes to "beat" the game.

The most fun has been seeing my natural progression through building various shelters of increasing complexity and aesthetic. Starting with fixing the roof of an abandoned cabin in the middle of a cold night to building a small fort near a lake, slapping a big awning style roof around an existing tower to now having something that looks like a monks abby.

The corpse run my first real voyage produced was really fun too. Had an intense sinking feeling when I realized all of my progress was tied up in the gear I just lost and that I had to build a second boat to go recover it.
But managing to slip by, grab the gear from my boat and then full sail it out of there while being chased by a big floating ghost thing just to come face to face with my first sea serpent was intense and awesome and would have sucked an immensity of male genitals had I died again.

Also, just feels good to crush the enemies that used to chase me.

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Valheim should have just let people mod the fuck out of the game.

There are a ton of mods.

Valheim Legends was a decent one: added classes

IMHO AnyPortal was a must-have. Instead of having to pair portals, every portal got a drop-down menu to select a destination portal.

Monsternomicon is...interesting. They weren't finished when we played with it. The Firelands was super easy and the Deep North was absurdly difficult. Even with fully enchanted armor 2 tiers above the base game, there were skeleton archers that would occasionally one-shot people who weren't actively blocking.

Custom Raid can kiss my ass though, LOL. I think we had a recurring 'fire' raid that would center on your village, rain ash from the sky, and you would catch on fire and burn to death if you either didn't have fire resist (mostly potions) or couldn't get into a building fast enough. Oh, and the random super-hard lightning breathing Lox boss raid. (it might be another mod but I think it was Custom Raid)

Epic Loot Mod had enchanting I think, and Diablo-esque armor sets.

Epic Loot Adventure Bounties added...bounties. Which was really neat. You go to the Trader and you're offered a selection of bounties. Then go find your bounties, kill them and then go back to turn in bounties for gold and tokens.

Better Trader was also one I remember.

I can't really say much about packs and installs because other people did that. Other then remembering BepInEx

• 1Like

Daidraco

I purchased Valheim a few weeks ago. Been going solo.

I worked my way up to fully upgraded iron equipment, took over an abandoned village that was on the coast in the meadows sandwiched between some patches of black forest. Currently have some large vegetable gardens, apiary, rasberry patch and a one star boar farm. Built a huge moat and wall around it all as well.

Built a big workshops building attached to an existing tower and now I am working on a full blow castle on top of a nearby hill. I am using a large stone deposit to make a cave that sits under the keep, since those and copper deposits will float if you fully excavate under them/leave the top layer intact.

I would probably have finished the game a while ago if I was focused on taking out bosses, but just building shit and making it look decent is too much of a draw to even care how long it takes to "beat" the game.

The most fun has been seeing my natural progression through building various shelters of increasing complexity and aesthetic. Starting with fixing the roof of an abandoned cabin in the middle of a cold night to building a small fort near a lake, slapping a big awning style roof around an existing tower to now having something that looks like a monks abby.

The corpse run my first real voyage produced was really fun too. Had an intense sinking feeling when I realized all of my progress was tied up in the gear I just lost and that I had to build a second boat to go recover it.

Also, just feels good to crush the enemies that used to chase me.
Its tons of fun. Up until this fucking bee from 15 miles away swoops in like a jet fighter attacking you on your boat and you're just fucked no matter what. But even then, its still pretty good fun. I definitely spent my fair share of time building some outlandish buildings. I really do wish you could build caves without ore roofs etc. Theres ways around propping up the geometry for caves other than using ore in one of the boot leg mods, and maybe we'll see it in the Mistlands update since that'll have legit caves.

• 1Like

Daidraco

There are a ton of mods.

Valheim Legends was a decent one: added classes

IMHO AnyPortal was a must-have. Instead of having to pair portals, every portal got a drop-down menu to select a destination portal.

Monsternomicon is...interesting. They weren't finished when we played with it. The Firelands was super easy and the Deep North was absurdly difficult. Even with fully enchanted armor 2 tiers above the base game, there were skeleton archers that would occasionally one-shot people who weren't actively blocking.

Custom Raid can kiss my ass though, LOL. I think we had a recurring 'fire' raid that would center on your village, rain ash from the sky, and you would catch on fire and burn to death if you either didn't have fire resist (mostly potions) or couldn't get into a building fast enough. Oh, and the random super-hard lightning breathing Lox boss raid. (it might be another mod but I think it was Custom Raid)

Epic Loot Mod had enchanting I think, and Diablo-esque armor sets.

Epic Loot Adventure Bounties added...bounties. Which was really neat. You go to the Trader and you're offered a selection of bounties. Then go find your bounties, kill them and then go back to turn in bounties for gold and tokens.

Better Trader was also one I remember.

I can't really say much about packs and installs because other people did that. Other then remembering BepInEx
I was talking more of support from the dev itself. The way people mod Valheim is very "boot leg" in my mind. Breaking the game to insert the mods basically.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Looking for some help!

I just bought Valheim last night for me and my kiddos. We started a free friends only server through the game and quickly realized the limitations of this server type. Eventually I am thinking I will host a server on my raspberry pi, but my pi (along with a bunch of other shit) is in storage due to being in the middle of a remodel. So my plan for now is to pay for a dedicated server for a 2-3 months until I can get the pi up and running.

Questions...
  • Should we just join a big community server? If yes, how do you protect your stuff from being stolen?
  • Can anyone access your chest? Do they have to be a steam friend?
  • Have you paid for a private server?
  • What server hosting would you recommend?
  • Can I transfer the data from a dedicated server to my private pi server at a later date?
  • Any other hints or tips? Not so much about gameplay but rather pros and cons a of a private server.
I just want to get it right from the get go so me and the kids can have a fun experience without constantly restarting.

Thanks!

gauze

Molten Core Raider
  • How do you protect your stuff from being stolen?
  • Can anyone access your chest?

Yes, but you can build a ward to prevent people from breaking your buildings, accessing your chest, and opening your doors. Iirc it's pretty cheap and early.

As far as everything else idk, played a dedicated server with a few friends.. Though we did transfer the map file from the guy who was hosting to the guy setting up a dedicated server. It's possible to move the save file around. In the same vein, I think it's a similar way that you can basically choose a kinda map layout if you want too.. Can't remember if that's something you do before generating the world, or in the actual game files.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yes, but you can build a ward to prevent people from breaking your buildings, accessing your chest, and opening your doors. Iirc it's pretty cheap and early.

As far as everything else idk, played a dedicated server with a few friends.. Though we did transfer the map file from the guy who was hosting to the guy setting up a dedicated server. It's possible to move the save file around. In the same vein, I think it's a similar way that you can basically choose a kinda map layout if you want too.. Can't remember if that's something you do before generating the world, or in the actual game files.
Do you think a dedicated server would provide the most fun, because we are 100% responsible for everything that happens or do you think we should join a large community server?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Do you think a dedicated server would provide the most fun, because we are 100% responsible for everything that happens or do you think we should join a large community server?
If you really want to experience the survivor part of the game, you will want to do it yourself. If you just want to get on a server and dick around and build things, a community server will give you access to all of the building pieces.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think me and my kids want to do it all on our own. So any recommendations on server hosting?

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I can't argue they "good" or not, but g-portal worked fine for me. Wasn't much for a server IIRC.

Got a sale for Valheim servers atm too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I can't argue they "good" or not, but g-portal worked fine for me. Wasn't much for a server IIRC.

Got a sale for Valheim servers atm too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The timing of that sale could not be better. I was planning on shelling out ~$45 for 3 months, with that sale I got 12 months for ~$69

• 1Like