Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a weight, but it impacts not how much it can hold, but how hard it is to move on an incline etc.
which is hilarious because you can pull a fully loaded cart fully submerged in water, which would require absolutely insane hulk level strength.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have no plans on shutting the server down any time soon. Now the fun begins and I can build more cool stuff. 🙂

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rad

Lord of Guk
Let them break upon our walls!

20210301145115_1.jpg

Current workshop
20210301145152_1.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Given Im not trying to play Minecraft, but I would absolutely love it if we could create caves.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
How the fuck do you guys build this shit? I'm struggling to make a god damn hut, and you guys are building fucking castles! Admittedly, I never played any games like Minecraft, so my skills are terrible. I don't see how I'll ever be able to build anything as elaborate as you guys. Shit, I'd probably have quit already if I wasn't using McFly's fortress as my home base!

P.S. Thanks again for all the assistance, McFly!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
How the fuck do you guys build this shit? I'm struggling to make a god damn hut, and you guys are building fucking castles! Admittedly, I never played any games like Minecraft, so my skills are terrible. I don't see how I'll ever be able to build anything as elaborate as you guys. Shit, I'd probably have quit already if I wasn't using McFly's fortress as my home base!

P.S. Thanks again for all the assistance, McFly!
Farming... lots of farming.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Once you get some basic scaffolding up, the game will sort of "lock" your new building stuff into place if it's in the sensible sort of location. It's real important for anything larger than a shack to have proper supports; you'll notice as you attempt to place stuff that the color of the placed item changes from green to yellow to red while moving it around; if it's red, that shit is going to fall down (I believe it just starts taking damage until it collapses; might do that when yellow as well)

It's best to start small and just get the basics (ceiling to sleep/craft and a roof over your campfire with lots of open airspace so you don't smoke yourself out) until you unlock some of the better building stuff and materials for better supportwork/etc, and then build from there. The wood stuff can be finnicky, especially for your first one. Hoe the ground flat, set out your floor, then build some coverage from there. Literally just copy any one of the buildings (or steal it and repair; completely viable) and you should be set for a good minute, as things like the bench increase builds (they have the star next to them in the build menu) typically can just be built within range, so outside of the hut is fine.

• 1Like

Burns

You can go pretty high, right off the bat. With the right support.

Below is my first longhouse, made at the start of the game using 0 mods. I was close to a bunch of trees, when I started, so it was just a lot of chopping.

In the picture, the round logs in the middle were originally square pillars, and the bonfire was instead two campfires, at each end of the pit.

Also, if you use the crosses to build your roofs, you can just leave that little "window" open at the peek, for smoke, and not need to put up chimney.

screenshot_2021-03-02_011053.png

screenshot_2021-03-02_011339.png

• 1Like

Caliane

I believe there is a weight to carts. They seem much more difficult to take up hill once full.
yes. Weight on a cart, makes the cart itself heavier. Which will make it much harder to pull up hills as you load it down. it'll also cause it to flip if you try pulling it sideways on an incline.

If it does flip on you. unload it, flip it back over by walking into it, and reload it. its not simply a stam drain or anything. its actual physics modeling.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The key to a good building is a strong level Foundation. Use the half length core wood logs and half length lumber to get that foundation planned out. Basically build a level grid. Use the hoe to build up or break down the dirt so you get that blue color rating on the foundation logs.

francisbaud

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've heard it might be the best survival game out there, with 96% positive reviews on Steam.

I haven't played it myself but watching videos of Valheim is pretty fun. especially the big bosses and sea serpent.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've heard it might be the best survival game out there, with 96% positive reviews on Steam.

I haven't played it myself but watching videos of Valheim is pretty fun. especially the big bosses and sea serpent.
It has a good balance between being approachable and having enough depth.

• 1Like

Caliane

if you play only one, play Subnautica.

If you play 2. play fallout 4.

This is still EA. I'm kindof hoping updates flush out some of my issues. I am slightly surprised theres only been minor hotfixes.

• 3Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I think the team is 5 guys, 5 guys that just became multimillionaires . They are probably getting blown on a tropical island while high fiving each other right about now. I'm not at all surprised there hasn't been much in terms of updates so far. Hell, if it were me I would just hire someone to finish my parts of the game with my ongoing 20% stake in the company. :D

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I'm setting up a west coast one now, kinda miss the persistent world I had going with CE. I'm not sure how this game runs with a lot of stuff built, but I know CE sucked running the server off your PC after awhile.

How many FoH related servers going? Is there a list? I have no major plans other than casual building ect, so if some folks want a fresh world to play a little more "hardcore", more than welcome, I'll just be that hermit in the woods that randomly shows up.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Well that was strange, started on new server, found a spot to start new build... and I get swarmed by various greydwarves. There was a good 12-15 of them, a couple brutes and shaman can really fuck you up fast. Never seen that many ever, and they came out of nowhere.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
if you play only one, play Subnautica.

If you play 2. play fallout 4.

This is still EA. I'm kindof hoping updates flush out some of my issues. I am slightly surprised theres only been minor hotfixes.
Subnautica is really good, but it's not vikings and it's not multiplayer.

Fallout 4 is mostly bad and you should feel bad for recommending it. Trash storylines, weak progression, and the base building aspect was a combination of overinvolved and half baked.

Considering the game is what, less than a month out from it's EA release and they've had numerous hotfixes since then, they probably have a laundry list of stuff to work through and they're tackling game-breaking shit or stuff that keeps people from playing together first.

As is, very much worth the $20 entrance fee.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
McFly, what happened to your base?! I logged in tonight and it's completely gone! The only thing left are the bridge and the portals!

• 1WTF

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Well that was strange, started on new server, found a spot to start new build... and I get swarmed by various greydwarves. There was a good 12-15 of them, a couple brutes and shaman can really fuck you up fast. Never seen that many ever, and they came out of nowhere.

Sounds like you were building in Black Forest, and it got dark out.

That or there was some kind of event at your location. When this happens there's usually a title on the screen and a red circle around your area on the minimap.

McFly, what happened to your base?! I logged in tonight and it's completely gone! The only thing left are the bridge and the portals

I'm not even playing on that server and just reading this is stressful, lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users