Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
My bees have started giving me funny messages occasionally when I check their happiness.
"The bees seem to be throwing a party"
"The bees are hapbee"
"The bees are talking about you"
"The bee yawns, scratches his thorax, and goes back inside."
"You hear upbeat lyre and (norse intsrument name that I forget) music coming from inside."

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am 2 days into this with a buddy that has played for a while.

His gripe is that "eventually you have to cheat to have enough resources to do anything worthwhile".

Now bear in mind he is an impatient zoomer who never reads quest text and wants the shortest route to success. I played Astroneer with him and he pretty much ruined my experience by rushing through the entire process.

I have enjoyed it so far, first boss down, first tin mined.

I agree chopping in this game is cathartic, and early game the most dangerous enemies are rolling logs.

I enjoyed sneaking/bow hunting deer for the leather armor materials - felt kinda authentic.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Dont ditch him, just make sure you're the one running the server so he cant use cheats.

Also, logs...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Have a separate server or gameworld for playing with him and don't give him the info for your "real" server / game world. Even without ability to run cheats on the main server, he can just spawn items on a solo playthrough and import them that way.

• 3Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
His gripe is that "eventually you have to cheat to have enough resources to do anything worthwhile".

I have a slow-mo server with friends that I specifically tried not to kill any more bosses so they wouldn't randomly log on and get instagibbed by mobs several tiers above them.

I skipped killing Bonemass and farmed silver, using an Iron Hammer to scout with the AE effect (thanks to whoever it was that mentioned that in this thread). And to get around the Dragon Tear gating...I just went and soloed the dragon on a new server.

And I didn't just farm silver w/o a wishbone...I farmed silver until I had max upgraded every piece of equipment that used silver. And that was after I maxed out my iron gear. And now I'm filling up chests with spare iron and silver.

Point is, I farm a fuckton and I don't really need to cheat.

The only thing that has me feeling like I've cheated...is that I fooled around with having multiple games and using log-on/log-off shenanigans to port stuff around.

Need to get 8 stacks of ore back to your base, and you're burned out on using ships to cart it home with? Log it over to another instance, toss it in a chest, go back to your original game, portal back to your base, log back over to the game where you stored all that ore, pick it all up again then log out and log back into your original game.

I think I cut down boat travel time from [way too fucking long] to...under 5m?

I'm sure lots of people do that, but I was legit torn between 'this is fantastic' and 'this is kind of bullshit, LOL'

But I mean...what is "do anything worthwhile" to him? Build a castle? He should quit fucking around and start mining.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I wanted more storage so...I built a new room with 40 reinforced chests LOL

The 400 fine wood might have been more of a PITA than the 80 iron, but mostly because I hadn't hardcore harvested fine wood before.

I build super slow because I randomly hare off after other stuff. Like today, I want to clear out the last Fuling villages on an island (for no real reason than I wanna do it I guess)

1622392150861.png

• 3Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well I mean, thats still cheating lol. But I cant talk shit cause I did it too. I felt "ok" about it cause I was farming sea serpents already. But after I beat the game, I spent a few days making obscene shit on cheat mode. That was fun for a minute, but I really just want some new content. Viking shit is A+ tier for me.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is better about this game than Conan Exiles? I mean CE has T&A, and this doesnt, but it does have Vikings, I guess.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well I mean, thats still cheating lol. But I cant talk shit cause I did it too. I felt "ok" about it cause I was farming sea serpents already. But after I beat the game, I spent a few days making obscene shit on cheat mode. That was fun for a minute, but I really just want some new content. Viking shit is A+ tier for me.
I don't know if it is.

If all ore was renewable (like Tin and Black Metal) then I could see the argument. Stay on the same server and mine it/transport it there. They could even server or instance lock it, I suppose. But what about Iron, and especially Silver? I think there's a world of difference between just using console commands, and farming certain finite ores on successive game instances.

And I'm saying this as someone who also did a lot of boat-shipping, as well as building smelters near mines and then crafting armor/weapons there before taking a portal home.

The weird thing about taking something like black metal from game #1 to game #2, then back to game #1, is why not just avoid Plains on your 'home' server entirely and defile them on other instances? I mean, I have so much black metal sitting around in remote chests after killing fucktons of Fulings...I don't need it for anything building related...so I could just move blast furnaces and forges to the metal instead, and never move the black metal off their landmass. At that point I'm really just being kind of OCD about taking black metal back to a single base, instead of smelting and crafting with it remotely.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is the part where 5 people working on this works against us hehe.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Where's my content update god damn it
Did you miss them rolling back the releases?

I saw this like a week ago. But we all knew this was coming, right? Their previous schedule was too ambitious to be believable

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
SO at this rate Valheim will be complete in what? 2025?

I mean I get it, small team, cozy work atmosphere, probably buds, but lets face it, the game was or is? Huge now and why not add some team members to help. Its not like they are short on cash. Whose gonna stick around for another 3-4 yrs until this shit is finally done? This game and company will be forgotten about by then.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
whats strange though is that the game contained a ton of features i wanted ark to have but coudln't manage to cram in desptie their endless chinabux.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Aside the building stuff, and boats which I think valheim has got down, I thing Conan is way better game. But then again I like exploration and combat more than building stuff.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Aside the building stuff, and boats which I think valheim has got down, I thing Conan is way better game. But then again I like exploration and combat more than building stuff.
Conan is amazing - I sunk 160+ hours into that game (did not play any expansions).

It is superior to Valheim in EVERY way - progression, resource collection/rarity, combat, building, crafting, graphics, replayability. The thrall system is amazing. Once you get over the fact that you are basically a support pet to your awesome thrall when it comes to boss fighting the game is enjoyable.

I will preface these comments with the fact that I got to the Swamps and attempting to get Iron when I decided Valheim is not for me. Mind you, it was a terribly laid out Swamp, and we should have looked for another area, but it ruined the game experience for me. That and the fucking janky-ass combat, omg it drives me bananas.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did you miss them rolling back the releases?

I saw this like a week ago. But we all knew this was coming, right? Their previous schedule was too ambitious to be believable

I rely on this thread, didn't see it mentioned

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Conan is amazing - I sunk 160+ hours into that game (did not play any expansions).

It is superior to Valheim in EVERY way - progression, resource collection/rarity, combat, building, crafting, graphics, replayability. The thrall system is amazing. Once you get over the fact that you are basically a support pet to your awesome thrall when it comes to boss fighting the game is enjoyable.

I will preface these comments with the fact that I got to the Swamps and attempting to get Iron when I decided Valheim is not for me. Mind you, it was a terribly laid out Swamp, and we should have looked for another area, but it ruined the game experience for me. That and the fucking janky-ass combat, omg it drives me bananas.
I picked up Conan with some friends after we stopped playing Valheim. I love the game and it is a huge, huge improvement over Valheim in many ways. Except building. Building in Valheim is way easier, more intuitive, and gratifying. And my god the grind to build anything large scale is catass EQ levels of stupid. And the simple QoL stuff like getting mats back when you destroy a building piece so you don't have to worry about fuckups. Combine Conan with Valheim building and build a quest/progression system, you got a stew going baby.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The biggest difference for me between Conan and Valheim was how I've played it.

For whatever reason, I played Conan with a couple of friends on random PvP servers...with all of the bullshit that entails.

But with Valheim, I've only played it was a PvE game, with friends on a casual basis.