Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I’ve always wondered what brown as fuck means…

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I added to the start of the thread and noted in the title.

Angry He Man GIF

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Been awhile since I've been on here I'm glad you guy's are enjoying the emulator also for those having issue when using a AMD threadripper CPU we have patched the executable once I do some more testing to make sure there is no issues I'll push the new executable out through the launcher.

Do yall have a roadmap of what you're fixing and in what order? Also, where is the best place to drop bug reports? Use the in game launcher, discord or forums?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I last played this with a buddy right after Isle of Dawn launch, and only hit level 20-25. One thing I do remember is how big, and mysterious the world felt. As I've gotten older I've kinda really yearned for an MMO that just felt big, and dangerous, or at least mysterious. Vanguard has always had that appeal.

Very happy to see this EMU really having some success. How much better does the game run on the modern computers? Or is it something that will always be a problem thanks to the code & original engine?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I last played this with a buddy right after Isle of Dawn launch, and only hit level 20-25. One thing I do remember is how big, and mysterious the world felt. As I've gotten older I've kinda really yearned for an MMO that just felt big, and dangerous, or at least mysterious. Vanguard has always had that appeal.

Very happy to see this EMU really having some success. How much better does the game run on the modern computers? Or is it something that will always be a problem thanks to the code & original engine?
It will always be a problem, but the chunking and loading stuff will be much faster.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My home computer has a 3090 in it and it chunked a little in some parts and full on paused for like 5 seconds in other parts. I think its all relative to how long you've been in the zone etc. If you're zipping around at 1500 speed I guess I wouldnt expect the game to chunk well. But just doing normal shit, it seemed to just stutter at times.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice. I had a really badass staff for my disciple a friend crafted. It was the best 2her you could get for the class at the time. There were some awesome dps gloves from the bridge too, they were rare as fuck. I miss my dsc and bard, I had so much time invested in the bard, was sick being fully raid geared, the dps was nuts.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is it just me or does this game have way more apostrophes than EQ? Sometimes I feel like it’s pushing into Vex Thal / GOD territory with some of these names but maybe it's just because I'm not used to them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it just me or does this game have way more apostrophes than EQ? Sometimes I feel like it’s pushing into Vex Thal / GOD territory with some of these names but maybe it's just because I'm not used to them.
Always felt like it was based on the area you were in. Though, some shit just seemed way the fk out of place at times.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know its a ways off but do you plan to add any to this game to flesh it out more or just keep it vanilla?
I do have some stuff I want to implement for instance the UI elements for Alternate Advance which they never implemented is in the client and I have most of the packet structure figued out so I would like to add that in later down the road. The marketplace I have already removed all the pay to win stuff and changed the currency used for it to our own custom currency Ancient Sigils we just need to implement obtaining the currency in-game only via quests, boss/raid/rare targets etc etc. I have poked around and have gotten the unimplemented Inquisitor class to show as a option at character select but that was as far as I've gone with it. There is a ton of unused real estate in VG which could be repurposed for extra raids and such.

• 3Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll probably delete and remake my dude to do the isle of dawn intro. I honestly just wanted to replay the cat furry intro cus i remembered it being epic and unique.

It also reminded me about everything they did wrong with this game. They tried too much and went way too wide and ran out of time/money when they should of made a smaller, polished version and added shit in later after a successful launch.

Playing a cat furry really illustrates this well.

You are a race of extra planar hunters locked in an eternal struggle against a race of cthulu-esque gargoyle demons who you chase across the planes. I guess if you play a paladin or something this might have an asguard defender of the nine realms feel to it, but as a dread knight its definitely got a blood war devil vs demons war across the lower planes thing going on.

Your home world is basically planescape's sigil with portals to all these different planes. Its filled with ambassadors and princes from all over the cosmos, devil things rock things sludge things etc. Over the course of your hunts you save this sludge hive mind thing from the demons and in return you meld with one of its children and join the hive mind. This venom symbiote allows you to survive travel across space (well fantasy space, ie the astral plane) so you can hunt down the demons.

You are hunting them to extinction, totally winning the war yet a few escape through a portal. You are assigned to join the Vanguard (tm) and You follow them through to wipe them out for good and end up in telon, the fantasy world of vanguard.

You arrive in telon outside the desert newbie area (qalia?), learn that the portal back to your homeworld is broken, And, thats it. There is 1 breadcrumb quest suggesting the demons have possessed the local wild life (level 5 lion trash mobs) and you should help the qalians deal with this threat. Also while you are talking to the mayor, the vanguard leader asks you to ask him about a job for himself. Guard duty or something, because your all stuck on this planet, cant return and he needs work.

Again i only played at launch to level like 20-30, but this backstory was never mentioned again. Your story abruptly merges into the qalian newbie storyline and you are just an adventurer now. Maybe it happens way later on but I never even saw them reuse any of the unique monster models, landscape, or textures for the various entities that exist on your homeworld. Everything on telon is just brown. Seems like just a colossal waste of resources that got abandoned once they hit crunch time. We're talking months of work, story, art, etc for what is less than 1 hour of game play (lvls 1 -5) for 1 race, out of what, 16 races? Though I am glad they kept what they had to that point, despite it being completely jarring intro to a fantasy mmo.

As absurd as the cat furry intro is, it still beats brads previous outing.
"This expansion is amazing, but what do we do after velious? Where do we go from here?"
"I dont know, fuck it lets go to the moon"
"The. What?"
"The moon. Also there are cats living there."
"Cats?"
"Yeah cat people. They fight snake people. Fuck it. Yo got any more oxy?"

So I went back and played this intro and... wow this post was like 100% accurate lmao.

In true Vanguard fashion the only problem at the end was that the portal still worked to take you back to your homeworld? So I guess you're not really stuck even though the NPCs act like it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure if that is a bug in the EMU or a bug with the original game lol

It makes me want to go back and play more "intros" for the other races. I can kinda see why people complained about the Isle of Dawn now. It is for sure better gameplay and if you hadn't started everyone in one place I bet the world would've felt empty with the low player base but it definitely did lose the feeling of making the races unique imo

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do yall have a roadmap of what you're fixing and in what order? Also, where is the best place to drop bug reports? Use the in game launcher, discord or forums?
We do have a Project Manager on our website but It's way out of date I just haven't taken the time to update it but this should give you a idea on the current status State of the Game - Vanguard Wiki and as for bug reports just use the in-game bug reporting it get logged and a ticket created automatically.