Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Troubleshoot time. Got it all downloaded and unzipped etc. When I hit the Play button the client launches but I cant actually get it to open. Just sits on my task bar without popping up.

Edit - Im in.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The chunking you could write off as zoning though.
The difference was that you knew where zone lines were. In Vanguard, you'd just randomly lock up for a while, and god help you if you were in combat and happened to cross chunks near a corner. It's something you could eventually plan around, but most people never made it that far before "FUCKING THING SUCKS" set in.

Also, hardware made such a crazy big difference, I can understand why some people instantly threw it in the trash. Sometime during beta (or alpha? wtf knows anymore), I had a decent rig but it was still a single-core, and chunking was maddening. I could definitely see it being a complete deal-breaker for normies. At some point I upgraded to a core2duo, and my problems virtually vanished. Considering that they had basically zero testing resources, I can totally believe that they had no idea how shit of an experience it was going to be for the average player.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I’ve always wondered what brown as fuck means…
I was playing around on here and never saw brown everywhere. It might be some kind of mad cuz Brad derangement. Or I havent been to the right zone. Idk.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The Implication is still taking members, hit up a variant of the Hatorade for an invite. You can find people use /who all

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
We have a troubleshooting guide if anyone has issues also Troubleshooting Guide - Vanguard Wiki the wiki on vgoplayers is just that for players you can see the current status of all abilities for classes and information on learned abilities.

Going between chunks should be pretty quick now since awhile back I added in dynamic loading of chunks which basically as you move through chunks the surrounding chunks will startup if they are not started and also shutdown if there is no-one located in a connecting chunk. Now chunks that have rift stones or starting chunks are set to static so those are always running regardless if someone is in them or not. Now if you log out in a chunk that is not set to static you will experience a delay when you go to log in as that chunk starts up.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Well I’m a lvl 5 disc, down to group and will likely be on all day tomorrow and Sunday while In quarantine (except 1:30- onward Sunday)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Was this back when the markets were still loaded?

Either way, sexy shit.

1641599975068.png

YEAH BUDDY. Lol

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There was alot of mystery about chunking back in the day. Like what could they possibly be doing to make it this slow kind of mystery.

I dug into it with performance tools (probably vtune, this was ages ago) and found that most of the time was compiling shader code. The post might be on this board somewhere even.

So yea compiling shaders, and I don't think UE4 had any streaming capability == a hard freeze while it compiles every little different combination of shader, and there were alot. I imagined them making a different shader for every little piece of ground clutter in the towns, with "hey this jar is extra shiny" special shader. UE5 and up "cooks" assets and gets them ready to stream.

As much as I hate consoles, they are the reason we have great streaming today. That and galaxy brain code gods like cb's rants

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
We do have a Project Manager on our website but It's way out of date I just haven't taken the time to update it but this should give you a idea on the current status State of the Game - Vanguard Wiki and as for bug reports just use the in-game bug reporting it get logged and a ticket created automatically.
Is there anything specific testers could be helping with?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Got to level 10 disc and off the isle. If anyones around there planning to play tomorrow let me know would love to group up.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
At some point I upgraded to a core2duo, and my problems virtually vanished.

Same here. Had some group drops and rare crashes and chunking was still a thing, but for the most part the core2duo seemed very compatible with Vanguard and I luckily didn't have many major technical issues.

Noob areas at launch were a shit show and slide show, of course. I remember someone at some point saying internal info showed a ridiculously high number of players never made it to level 5. Implying major technical issues. Then some large percent of accounts never came back to try without the crowds, which eased technical issues a lot.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So I went back and played this intro and... wow this post was like 100% accurate lmao.

In true Vanguard fashion the only problem at the end was that the portal still worked to take you back to your homeworld? So I guess you're not really stuck even though the NPCs act like it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure if that is a bug in the EMU or a bug with the original game lol

It makes me want to go back and play more "intros" for the other races. I can kinda see why people complained about the Isle of Dawn now. It is for sure better gameplay and if you hadn't started everyone in one place I bet the world would've felt empty with the low player base but it definitely did lose the feeling of making the races unique imo
I was clicking through the various races in the emulator and saw that the fox hobbit people also had an extra planar origin, but alas its just backstory, they start out with the wood elves after their home world was destroyed by the xenuwhatevers. At least you see/fight those in the Isle of Dawn.

I played through a few other character intro's and some of them are interesting, like Orcs was pretty cool, but yeah it just spread the world way too thin with actually 19 different races the pop was just too spread out. Hindsight 20/20 and all but if they started with way less races, had designed them all to be cool as shit, then drop you all off at lvl 5 washing up on the Isle of Dawn for the community building aspect this game might of had a chance. Well technical problems aside.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
its been a while since I played, this shit came out in like 2007...but was it always this, janky? Or is this just artifacts from it being an emulator. like no ability to prekey/queue abilities? I get some of the movement/zaxis stuff is due to it being an emulator but I didnt remember the animations and ability queueing to be this shitty

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'll be on tonight around 7/8 CST for some groupage.

Also, turn on the scrolling combat text option and screw around with some of the UI options, there are some good things to change. I especially like the spell effect increase option since some spells are difficult to see.