Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I want this back so bad. I get a weird itch to play this every so often, and I can't anymore, so I'm definitely hoping this takes off. I didn't see any donate/crowdfund type option (I lack the skills to donate time and help unfortunately), but I'm guessing there isn't one due to SOE not officially sanctioning this?
You're right, we can't take donations of any kind or it could lead to a cease and desist. We are still working on it and making some steady progress though. We are working on the attribute system now and then we will start implementing combat.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You can take donations, but take donations for something else. Start a "hardcore MMO forum" and open up donations for maintenance. There you go. Donations.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I wonder if Smed is aware this exists. I feel like he wouldn't care at all. Daybreak just endorsed the one server that might actually take away some tiny fragment of EQ players.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wonder if Smed is aware this exists. I feel like he wouldn't care at all. Daybreak just endorsed the one server that might actually take away some tiny fragment of EQ players.
Yup he knows as I have talked with him about the project.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I played Vanguard once for about 15 minutes back in beta.

My dad put together his first "high end" gaming PC just for this game. We were super excited to try it out. I gave him access to the beta account and when I came back from school that day he looked devastated.

Why aren't you playing?

I tried it, but...

You didn't like it?

Ah, well it's pretty rough.

Can I play?

Sure, but it's still early beta.

The game is supposed to be out in a few months, it can't be that bad.

I rolled a dwarf cleric, in an empty valley next to a stone tower. The game ran at like 10-15 FPS. It was EQ with two targeting bars and "better" graphics.

I'm still salty about this fucking game 8 years later.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I may be getting some free time soon, could possibly help with coding if needed. Who should i contact ?

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
As nerdy as it will probably sound, I'd really love a "classic" VG server with the missing content, but without stuff like some of the fast travel, flying mounts, excessive quest progression, and softer death penalties. Like a classic hardcore EQ version of Vanguard. Harder mobs, more grouping, less soloing. Keep the good quests and the chains for sure, but discard of some of the kill 10 X and FedEx quests. I'd play the shit out of it. Can't say I would be nearly as interested in Vanguard in its final state.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
As nerdy as it will probably sound, I'd really love a "classic" VG server with the missing content, but without stuff like some of the fast travel, flying mounts, excessive quest progression, and softer death penalties. Like a classic hardcore EQ version of Vanguard. Harder mobs, more grouping, less soloing. Keep the good quests and the chains for sure, but discard of some of the kill 10 X and FedEx quests. I'd play the shit out of it. Can't say I would be nearly as interested in Vanguard in its final state.
it would be interesting to see if some of those things can be changed.. Like death penalty, remove some fast travel. obviously there will be no Buying equipment or mounts so that is a big step. Make boats matter !!!

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
We are shooting to build an emu for Vanguard in its final state just because thats what we were able to packet collect. A lot of the fed ex quests will probably be missing though since we didn't have time to collect them all. We did get a lot of the major quests though, such as all the parts of Trengal Keep, the Celestine Ward/Thelaseen quests, the griffon mount, Greystone, APW key quest, the major diplo quest lines including Exemplar, etc... We talk a lot about the changes people want to Vanguard, some we can incorporate, some we will leave to anyone who wants to develop a custom ruleset server. I'm sure someone will throw together a FFA PvP server
smile.png

The content team is going to get turned loose very soon on rebuilding the starter areas, and I think one person is going to try and rebuild Mekalia from scratch!

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
it would be interesting to see if some of those things can be changed.. Like death penalty, remove some fast travel. obviously there will be no Buying equipment or mounts so that is a big step. Make boats matter !!!
Things like the death penalty can definitely be changed and it would be easy to disable any or all of the rifts. The continental boats would be harder since we don't have a collect of them spawning since they were removed from the game prior to our collection efforts. It would be possible to make player made boats travel in between continents though. Even if we can't change the client, there is a way to do almost anything we want in the game.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
We are shooting to build an emu for Vanguard in its final state just because thats what we were able to packet collect. A lot of the fed ex quests will probably be missing though since we didn't have time to collect them all. We did get a lot of the major quests though, such as all the parts of Trengal Keep, the Celestine Ward/Thelaseen quests, the griffon mount, Greystone, APW key quest, the major diplo quest lines including Exemplar, etc... We talk a lot about the changes people want to Vanguard, some we can incorporate, some we will leave to anyone who wants to develop a custom ruleset server. I'm sure someone will throw together a FFA PvP server
smile.png

The content team is going to get turned loose very soon on rebuilding the starter areas, and I think one person is going to try and rebuild Mekalia from scratch!
Thats actually quite interesting. Less running around delivering dickpics and bear asses and more dungeons and killing bosses for armor on a VG Emu. Sounds like a good change.

I am really looking forward to a VG Emu server. It will be awsome to level a char again and do all the dungeons.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
smile.png

What exactly do you mean by "final state"?

Many things were streamlined near the end of the games life cycle. All lvl 1-10 dungeons were made solo, there were 2 or 3 gear questlines that made most lvl 20-40 content completely irrelevant. The gear quests and xp gain changed VG from a group exploration/dungeon crawl game to a solo (occasionally grouping) race to max level game.

I have no interest in playing that bastardized version of the game. XP rates should be reverted to what they were during the first year of the game, remove the cheese-gear questlines, make the 1-10 dungeons group-only again, and re-itemize some of the dungeons/areas so they are worth doing.

And most important of all, make the level cap 50. If you don't, things like Rahz Inkur, ToT, Swamp Gear, Nusibe Necropolis, APW, etc. are going to be completely passed by. After the emu has been around for a while you can always add the 50-55 content and do it properly, SoD needs a complete revamp.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
What exactly do you mean by "final state"?

Many things were streamlined near the end of the games life cycle. All lvl 1-10 dungeons were made solo, there were 2 or 3 gear questlines that made most lvl 20-40 content completely irrelevant. The gear quests and xp gain changed VG from a group exploration/dungeon crawl game to a solo (occasionally grouping) race to max level game.

I have no interest in playing that bastardized version of the game. XP rates should be reverted to what they were during the first year of the game, remove the cheese-gear questlines, make the 1-10 dungeons group-only again, and re-itemize some of the dungeons/areas so they are worth doing.

And most important of all, make the level cap 50. If you don't, things like Rahz Inkur, ToT, Swamp Gear, Nusibe Necropolis, APW, etc. are going to be completely passed by. After the emu has been around for a while you can always add the 50-55 content and do it properly, SoD needs a complete revamp.
You're right, "final state" is a bit confusing. We are trying to recreate the game largely as it was at sunset, because the items, quest dialogues, spawns, etc... were all collected from the last 6 months. That doesn't mean we won't be making changes to how the game plays. For instance, I am fairly certain we will be slowing the levelling experience down to be more in line with early VG. I know we will be reverting some of the abilities that got changed from their original implementation (Necro death touch, Rogue hostage negotiations). And the emu will release with a level cap of 50. Anything beyond that will come in an expansion of sorts.

I can't speak intelligently about any content changes yet since I don't know exactly how that will shake out, but what I can say is that the people who are willing to build content into the emu are, by and large, proponents of early VG, who are opposed to the changes that Silius and Moorgard made to the game. I imagine we can expect to see a return to the group focus of VG's early days. Feel free to hop on over to the boards and join the discussions!

VG Emulator Boards

turbo

Molten Core Raider
You're right, "final state" is a bit confusing. We are trying to recreate the game largely as it was at sunset, because the items, quest dialogues, spawns, etc... were all collected from the last 6 months. That doesn't mean we won't be making changes to how the game plays. For instance, I am fairly certain we will be slowing the levelling experience down to be more in line with early VG. I know we will be reverting some of the abilities that got changed from their original implementation (Necro death touch, Rogue hostage negotiations). And the emu will release with a level cap of 50. Anything beyond that will come in an expansion of sorts.

I can't speak intelligently about any content changes yet since I don't know exactly how that will shake out, but what I can say is that the people who are willing to build content into the emu are, by and large, proponents of early VG, who are opposed to the changes that Silius and Moorgard made to the game. I imagine we can expect to see a return to the group focus of VG's early days. Feel free to hop on over to the boards and join the discussions!

VG Emulator Boards
Old Sorc Chaos Volley will bring me back!