Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I remember the chunking issues were pretty bad as well. Chalk that up to bad game design plus the shit computers we had back then.

The chunking you could write off as zoning though. You had to just mentally assume it's EQ zoning without the zoning message. Like "wow they removed an aspect of zoning so cool and I can't even see or tell when I'm about to zone, weird but OK"

Some people were unwilling to overlook it because Brad promised seamless open world.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its a bittersweet reminder that VG had a full rollout. If SOE bit down and ran the costs up for another 6 months and demanded CTD and group invites be fixed, it would have thrived.

The group disconnect bug was something you needed to be a true fan of the genre to get past. Constant reinvites, disbands, over and over. Group dropped. Group dropped. Especially when WoW was still killing it and EQ2 wasn't exactly irrelevant. The competition was fierce. Age of Conan came out within the next 10 months after Vanguard launched and got big attention as well.

Your group throwing you out of it randomly was probably the biggest killer to Vanguard. The CTD's weren't that bad. It was the group bug that just kicked you in the nuts.
I remember the chunking issues were pretty bad as well. Chalk that up to bad game design plus the shit computers we had back then.
What mkopec mkopec said. I uninstalled because of THAT bullshit. Dying while chunking was some of the most infuriating shit Ive ever experienced in a game. My PC as powerful as it is now, still chunks on this game. Its no where near as bad as I remember it being, but it still does it. Walked out of the Dark Elf area through a gate and the chunking was so bad I thought the game froze.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Interesting, I think some computer rig setups had a rougher time with it. You did need a certain PC just to play, and even then "playing" was dubious as you said. The chunking never bothered me personally but I understood the rug pull behind it. It was the group dropping that was just plain unacceptable to me.

We actually punked one of our friends IRL. We were on Teamspeak or Ventrillo whatever was hot at the time and called his cellphone and told him to go walk to the store right now and buy Vanguard. It was a prank because we knew he couldn't actually play it. He said "Are you guys sure I can even play?" while walking through bestbuy.

"Oh yea man, definitely. We're all playing". *muted laughter*

He got home, installed, couldn't even load. Never saw or heard from him again.

• 1Seriously?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had a good rig back then but It still hurt to chunk. I mean it never really bothered me per say, but I know lots of people were effected by it since it was like the talk of the forums back then.

Daidraco

The chunking you could write off as zoning though. You had to just mentally assume it's EQ zoning without the zoning message. Like "wow they removed an aspect of zoning so cool and I can't even see or tell when I'm about to zone, weird but OK"

Some people were unwilling to overlook it because Brad promised seamless open world.
I knew what it was doing from a technical stand point. UE2 had limitations that were clearly known and doing a seamless world on this scale just wasnt within what it could handle. I didnt know as a player back then that the engine could only work with a certain amount of information, but I would think* that the developers would have known. For comparison, Ashes of Creation had the same problem with UE4 and stayed clearly within those boundaries. Even going so far as to expand the under world biome in order to make more real estate. With UE5, they supposedly dont have those limitations or have much more room to work with.

Which kind of just makes me curious, just for the sake of conversation, if the problems with chunking would go away if it was ported to a higher version of UE.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Its a bittersweet reminder that VG had a full rollout. If SOE bit down and ran the costs up for another 6 months and demanded CTD and group invites be fixed, it would have thrived.

The group disconnect bug was something you needed to be a true fan of the genre to get past. Constant reinvites, disbands, over and over. Group dropped. Group dropped. Especially when WoW was still killing it and EQ2 wasn't exactly irrelevant. The competition was fierce. Age of Conan came out within the next 10 months after Vanguard launched and got big attention as well.

Your group throwing you out of it randomly was probably the biggest killer to Vanguard. The CTD's weren't that bad. It was the group bug that just kicked you in the nuts. Each session you would lose your group at least 15-20 times. That's not really a bug you go gold with. That's something you need to delay launch and eat the costs on.

My biggest problem was pulling people from WoW, it was in a great spot and impossible to get people to move to something new.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been awhile since I've been on here I'm glad you guy's are enjoying the emulator also for those having issue when using a AMD threadripper CPU we have patched the executable once I do some more testing to make sure there is no issues I'll push the new executable out through the launcher.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Daidraco

Been awhile since I've been on here I'm glad you guy's are enjoying the emulator also for those having issue when using a AMD threadripper CPU we have patched the executable once I do some more testing to make sure there is no issues I'll push the new executable out through the launcher.
Dont know if its a passion project, a hobby in itself, or what, but your team mates and you look to be doing a good job considering what you have to work with. Hope its bringing you joy working with it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Did some farming

1641582864420.png
1641584724540.png
1641584995124.png

• 1Like

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dont know if its a passion project, a hobby in itself, or what, but your team mates and you look to be doing a good job considering what you have to work with. Hope its bringing you joy working with it.

It's a bit of both a passion project and a hobby for me and yea I do get joy out of it and some times frustration when working on it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Currently sitting here working on creating the missing necro pet graft items, creating the spells to go with them and scripting both the item and spells since the server code is mostly done for grafts and live on the server.

• 2Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
What would be a good class to play with a disciple if we wanted to just level up and do dungeons.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What would be a good class to play with a disciple if we wanted to just level up and do dungeons.
Probably SK, Pally, or warrior would be your best bet. With a tank and a disciple you can just add any other classes to the group for clear speed. If you have a third person add a bard for speed, dps, crowd control. Any other class after those three would be fine.

• 1Like

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Disciples are pretty OP so honestly most any class will work well with them just doing dungeons.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know its a ways off but do you plan to add any to this game to flesh it out more or just keep it vanilla?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was just thinking about Necromancers when mentioned last page and the depth of the class. Then Xinux comes through with pet graft system already tabled.

Sheesh.

• 1Like