Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sounds like Vanguard failed harder then we thought. If they have been running it at a loss for a long time then that piece of shit was truly a waste of time/money. They should of just let it die with Sigil.
I wouldn't doubt if there whole stable of online games are currently losing money the super hero game might be turning a small profit

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The closing of freerealms was a shock I thought SoE was making buckets of money off that game. I guess its was like the PS2 making huge amounts of money hype that only really applied to first few months of the games life.

Vanguard is likely to be sold to someone and shutting it down fist is part of the process.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
He made it pretty clear Vanguard will not be getting sold off I thought

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if the Free Realms shutdown has less to do with profitability and more to do with the increasing number of laws preventing online games and services from targeting children. Hard to make a case that you aren't targeting children with something like Free Realms.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm John Smedley, President of SOE. AMAA : EQNext

This was nauseating to read.

He did it in EQnext sub so the minecraft fanbois sucked him off for 2 hours it seems.

"Smed!11 Your the most hippest mmo game pres dude ever, with your edgy tweets and revealing AmA! the SoE PR team must hate you YOLO!

Read a few hundred of the top comments not one on VG.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Kind of wish SOE would release Vanguard for other people to run emulator servers. Maybe someone could make the game proper.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Kind of wish SOE would release Vanguard for other people to run emulator servers. Maybe someone could make the game proper.
Pretty sure that's the last thing Smed wants. Just imagine some nerds working for free for a few months actually turning things around for Vanguard!

calla_sl

shitlord
Sounds like Vanguard failed harder then we thought. If they have been running it at a loss for a long time then that piece of shit was truly a waste of time/money. They should of just let it die with Sigil.
this is why you can't believe smed's bullshit. on more than one occasion my guild has had vg devs come in our vent talking about how good the f2p conversion was good for vg. if the game was bleeding so badly why spend time implementing cob and cow.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm shocked anyone actually thinks companies will just sell their shit to anyone offering a $20 bill.
Smed wouldn't sell for 2,000,000 or more. It would just show how badly he manages SOE, both SWG and VG could have been 'turned around' with enough investment. He could have rolled back the SWG changes and spent money on moving VG to a new engine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Smed wouldn't sell for 2,000,000 or more. It would just show how badly he manages SOE, both SWG and VG could have been 'turned around' with enough investment. He could have rolled back the SWG changes and spent money on moving VG to a new engine.
They didn't even try with VG. They let it sit there and fester for years. Just look at FFXIV and what they did. There is your proof that if you fix shit, then relaunch it, people will come. Maybe not as many as with FF, because of the name, but they sure could of got more.

calla_sl

shitlord
They didn't even try with VG. They let it sit there and fester for years. Just look at FFXIV and what they did. There is your proof that if you fix shit, then relaunch it, people will come. Maybe not as many as with FF, because of the name, but they sure could of got more.
yep. i'm glad he bought the game from brad, but support from soe afterwards was minimal at best

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
I never understood that. I was playing religiously back in 2007 and 2008 and cheerleading hard for Vanguard. But then I realized soe just didn't care about the game, so why should I waste my time and money when it was doomed. But then they starting messing with it again, making it F2P, etc. I had just started logging in again. There's so much I'll miss about Vanguard and Telon. RIP Vanguard. You were my first.