Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only thing I didnt like was the KDQ dailies, I liked in essence the idea of the island and the rare loot that dropped there. I think it would have done much better like the rest of the game and they should have made is overland dungeons and put the loot on the bosses.

Dailies were the GD devil and still are

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Anyone know how to extract the music or download all of it somewhere ? would like to save it from my old install
smile.png

Bruman

Golden Squire
This is a game company that had a single QA tester. You're surprised?
Yes, extremely. I've worked several places (and work at one now!) that has no QA. I read an interesting report the other week actually that did an in-depth study of development practices (peer review, automated testing, QA, TDD, etc) and related it to software quality and timeliness of releases. Automated tests (unit, integration, etc) and developer testing were both more effective than QA. Places that I've worked that have had QA people have been very hit-or-miss. Most people approach a QA role as "I click the buttons as this test script tell me to", which is valueless. I already did that before I passed it to QA. Hell, I wrote the script for you! It's very difficult to find good QA. There's no education for QA, or industry standard. Most are terrible.

Conversely, I've only worked ONE place that didn't have version control, it was my very first job, and we only had two developers and we never collaborated on a code base directly. Even then we were stupid for not setting it up (I started to, but never got the time to finish setting it up). Setting source control is just too easy and too cheap though - I should've made it a priority at that job even.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When you only have one coder working (read: writing spaghetti) on the code you dont need version control, cause the chosen one knows its code and all the changes he implemented.
Also he's prolly too busy all the time high fiving his QA comrade during breakfast, lunch and dinner breaks, making neckbeard jokes about the whole painter and decorator crew.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
That shit would make sense, I remember during raid testing for APW everything was fine pretty much overall. When they went to go live something interacted with ranger buffs if I'm remembering right that made the entire raid zone have a 2-5 second delay for weeks.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is a game company that had a single QA tester. You're surprised?
To be fair, they only had one "official" QA tester. There were two other guys on site and always helping test in an unofficial capacity- one of which was the QA tester's brother.

calla_sl

shitlord
just read moorgard's post..... /cry

also some guy was able to extract all the game sounds. i'll have to dig around for it if the official forum was taken down

calla_sl

shitlord
The only thing I didnt like was the KDQ dailies, I liked in essence the idea of the island and the rare loot that dropped there. I think it would have done much better like the rest of the game and they should have made is overland dungeons and put the loot on the bosses.

Dailies were the GD devil and still are
i didn't mind the dailies. what pissed me off was the lack of new content AND tying everything about pota into sod. the lore for the island was kind of a stretch with the stupid cultural references, but the quest for the cog was pretty fun.

just read moorgard's post..... /cry

also some guy was able to extract all the game sounds. i'll have to dig around for it if the official forum was taken down
It's still up. I'm currently in the process of archiving the entire forum. I thought I had it the first time around but it stopped at 100k links (~ 10 pages deep). Let's hope I have enough time, as they are supposedly shutting them down two weeks from the shutdown (aka tomorrow).

Cylus

Trakanon Raider
How the FUCK do you build a piece of software post 1995 without VERSION CONTROL... are you freaking kidding me ? If there is a Vanguard dev lurking out there please say this is FALSE.
Code and assets had version control. The design tools, which I assume he is referring to, modified the SQL database directly so the designers had no available method to roll individual changes back or check the revision history. I'd like to think that I would have broken/changed many fewer items had I been able to diff the change instead of "submitting" blindly...then again, I was pretty green!
smile.png

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I cant wait for the Emu. Besides all its flaws I really loved this game. Im missing the grind in SoK / SS ^^

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
That shit would make sense, I remember during raid testing for APW everything was fine pretty much overall. When they went to go live something interacted with ranger buffs if I'm remembering right that made the entire raid zone have a 2-5 second delay for weeks.
It was Disciple's Inner Light. Each Disciple that had it was hitting the server an obscene amount of times per second dragging everything down. Yet again one of those issues where something probably looked great on Dev and Test, but got beyond borked going to Live servers.