Vinyl

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Terence Winter Out as Showrunner Following Creative Differences | Variety

Terrence Winter quitting before the end of the first season.

a HBO show is usually a guaranteed 8/10 minimum but Vinyl so far feels like a 7/10. Does anyone see how where the story is going to go for a second and third season?

Can we also discuss James Jagger? I can't tell if his character is meant to be that gormless and he's acting it well, or if that's just his actual personality. Surely it was nepotism that landed him the role?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If it wasn't for Canavale being a fucking amazing actor, this show would be total dogshit. He's literally the only reason I'm watching this every week. If he doesn't get an Emmy, it'll be robbery.

I realize it's a show about the music industry and drugs are a central theme throughout, however, they really need to fucking cutdown on the random music montages (yes, I know I've griped about this already). They're fine as part of some drug induced, psychedelic hallucination, or as "part" of the show - like the stuff with Alice Cooper or David Bowie, but the random montages out of nowhere are so pointless that they rustle my jimmies.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Still agree with you on the musical montages. If I wasn't such a music buff I might have even stopped watching by now.

Never thought I would look forward to a Sunday night Showtime show (Billions) more than an HBO one.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
If it wasn't for Canavale being a fucking amazing actor, this show would be total dogshit. He's literally the only reason I'm watching this every week. If he doesn't get an Emmy, it'll be robbery.
He's going to lose the Emmy to Johnnie Cochran from the OJ show.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
If I was to guess, he is getting the boot because of differences with Jagger. He has to long of a history of success and quality work with HBO and Scorsese in particular. The random music montage and meandering of Richie with far to many story threads going for how little character growth or actual story being told is so out of whack. Just shite.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just don't see how they can get more than two seasons out of this without Richie going to jail or getting killed.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just don't see how they can get more than two seasons out of this without Richie going to jail or getting killed.
Lets see, the label can do well, then get bought by a British label. Then they can accidentally chop off the foot of a British record man and spin off their own new label. Then the new label can build up and do well. Then Richie can get back on the drugs and get fired. Then Richie can find himself, Devin gets cancer, Richie has a hippie meditation session while Metallica plays. Somewhere in there Ray Romano hangs himself.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Season 1 is in the books, wasn't bad...I would recommend. (Rating it 7/10)

Interested to see how next year goes.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I agree. Honestly I think the "main" problem with the whole murder story is lame.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Can't say I'll really miss this one. I wanted to like it. But it had too many flaws.

Sterling

El Presidente
Can't say I'll really miss this one. I wanted to like it. But it had too many flaws.
It did have a lot of flaws. It also had a really good cast though and I'd have liked to see what happened with it with the new people running the show.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
showed wasn't typical tv terrible, but was balls by HBO standards. The fact they fired Winter in some sort of blame shifting for season 1 being balls, only to cancel it is pretty fucking funny.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll miss Olivia Wilde and that sexy little blonde's sex scenes, but I couldn't get into this either. I'm agiganticmusic fan and so many of the "montages" annoyed the living shit out of me. So out of place and random.